Fallout 3 tips and tricks for a n00b?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So my wife has her National Guard AT for the next few weeks and I'm thinking about taking the few hours a day that normally she gets and turning my attention to Fallout.
Never played it so I have no idea what I'm doing.
Any tips for a n00b?

Fallout tips and tricks for a n00b?

Do you mean Fallout 1, 2, or 3? I haven't played the new one, but one of my favorite tactics in 1 & 2 was to jack my pickpocket skill up and steal all a dude's (or entire gang's) weapons and ammo before starting shit. Or putting a live explosive in their pocket and running away.

I've got a few to share.

Firstly, try to finish as much quests as you can in Megaton, the cash and the experience will help you in the long run.

Explore as much as you can, carry as much crap as you can to sell if your barter skill is low.

Don't max out any skills aside from lockpicking, all the best items and and a few quests will be made much easier for you.

I suggest carrying as many weapons as necessary, having one rifle, pistol, melee weapon, and whatever you want to carry is a good idea. This will conserve ammo and ensure you don't run out on long item runs, or that your weapons won't break, especially during combat.

BlackCrossCrusader said:
I've got a few to share.

Firstly, try to finish as much quests as you can in Megaton, the cash and the experience will help you in the long run.

Explore as much as you can, carry as much crap as you can to sell if your barter skill is low.

Don't max out any skills aside from lockpicking, all the best items and and a few quests will be made much easier for you.

I suggest carrying as many weapons as necessary, having one rifle, pistol, melee weapon, and whatever you want to carry is a good idea. This will conserve ammo and ensure you don't run out on long item runs, or that your weapons won't break, especially during combat.
Re: skills, I found it easier to pick a 2-3 weapon-types to build up, then ignore the others. It's just not worth it to be mildly proficient in all the weapons in the game as opposed to being maxed in a couple types. Each type has its own badass ubergear, so you won't be missing much.

I totally agree about lockpicking, and would throw in medicine, particularly if you're new to Fallout.

Don't rush to finish the primary plot, there's so much other stuff out in the wasteland which you won't be able to come back to (unless you buy the DLC). Make a point of fully exploring the wasteland.

Explore around as much as you can, and pick a few places where you can drop extra gear or ammo you don't want to sell, but would like available later just in case. For example, I used the lockers in the gas station and the house in Megaton as my gear drops.

Also, just from personally experience, navigating around the city ruins can be frustrating, because unlike the wasteland, there are very specific paths that you need to take to move around (no sneaking through the ruined buildings to avoid street encounters, for example). When in doubt, head for the subway.

Check weapon-mod recipes online, there's a ton of stuff out there that appears to be trash, but can actually be used as parts to make awesome gear.

I've played through Fallout 3 about 5x now, and through 2 of the DLC and soon a 3rd. This is my advice:

Get Lockpick to 75 as fast as possible, you'll be able to pick open anything but "Very Hard" locks with that. Then look for gear with +lockpick and find the "Tumblers today" books and the Bobblehead to get it to "Very Hard" level from there.

I recommend that really for almost any skill you plan on taking to 100 actually. Get it to 75 and then let the books/bobbleheads do the rest.

The two main skills after lockpick you NEED to raise are Small guns and Sneak. Why? With those two skills capped you can kill almost anything in the main game with your AP in VATS with headshots from a pistol/rifle. Sneak for the instant critical obviously.

If you're playing on the PC, I recommend giving this a look:
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=5672&hilit=+fallout

After that, your skills are 100% up to you and what type of character you want to play. I recommend setting your stats:

STR: No higher than 6 (you get 1pt from a bobblehead, 1pt from a quest, and 2pts if needed from power armor)
INT: 5-7
CHA: 1-3 (very uncessary stat in the long run)
AGI: 5-7
LUC: 5 (you get one point from a bobblehead, 6 is the level you want for the crit perk)

Otherwise, play as you like, try it all out. The beauty of Fallout is there's so many branches and styles to play and the replayability is awesome.

If you get explosives to (I think) 35 you can immediately get a house. You defuse the bomb in Megaton and the Sheriff gives you a house.

I don't understand half of what you guys are writing but it's only making me more excited.

I *should* be prepping my notes for teaching but... what's the fun in that when I have this? *GLEE!*

I actually recommend starting with 9 Int and then just heading to Rivet City for the intelligence Bobble as soon as you can. It'll give you LOTS of skill points, which will make leveling up much easier.

AshburnerX said:
I actually recommend starting with 9 Int and then just heading to Rivet City for the intelligence Bobble as soon as you can. It'll give you LOTS of skill points, which will make leveling up much easier.
With 7 INT I had capped all but the useless skills at 100 though. Around lvl 20 I was capped with all the necessary skills. By 30 I was full of skills I didn't even use.

This thread makes me wanna reroll and hope that I have an easier time with the game.

I honestly put like 6 hour into the game before I dismissed it as too hard and started playing something else. :)

THIS WILL BE MY GOAL.

When I play Fallout 3 I like to max out my repair skill, which I notice no one's mentioned yet. High repair helps you maintain your gear, and good condition gear makes a big difference. Armor condition affects how protective it is, weapon condition affects how much damage it does. Also, if your weapon's in bad condition, you'll be forced to do an extra "adjustment" animation after reloading, which gives your enemies more time to shoot you.

For your first playthrough you'll likely be using small guns the most, so prioritize your small guns skill first.

Tempting as it may be, do NOT get the perks that grant extra skill points (Daddy's Boy, Little Leaguer, Scoundrel etc) or the perk that gives you extra exp (Swift Learner, I think it's called). The reason for this is that there are many other perks that are worth more than the 10 skill points you get from the skill perks, and because by the time you get to level 20 you should have enough skill points to get max whatever skills you want. In addition, experience is extremely easy to get, so by the time you're one third through the game you should be level 20 already, which makes extra exp perks useless. However, make sure you get the Educated perk (extra skill points every level) and the Comprehension perk (double the effect of skill books) as soon as possible.

Oh, and unless you want to play the DLC, don't patch your game. The patches add a bunch of bugs while fixing virtually nothing.

bhamv2 said:
When I play Fallout 3 I like to max out my repair skill, which I notice no one's mentioned yet. High repair helps you maintain your gear, and good condition gear makes a big difference. Armor condition affects how protective it is, weapon condition affects how much damage it does. Also, if your weapon's in bad condition, you'll be forced to do an extra "adjustment" animation after reloading, which gives your enemies more time to shoot you.
I never put a single point into repair.

I simply gave the wandering vendors upgrades through the "Superhero City" quest and they repair at about a 98% condition. Good enough for me.

Shegokigo said:
bhamv2 said:
I never put a single point into repair.

I simply gave the wandering vendors upgrades through the "Superhero City" quest and they repair at about a 98% condition. Good enough for me.
Yeah but that costs caps, takes time, and isn't available everywhere. As opposed to picking up gazillions of Chinese Assault Rifles, to repair my Xuanlong every three minutes. The thing never falls below 99% condition. :D

Were we playing the same game? I had well over 60k caps by lvl 20.

Also what style were you playing to run through condition so fast? I used a hunting rifle [spoiler:3tj14p4k]to take out the entire Enclave base at one point.[/spoiler:3tj14p4k]

True, caps aren't a problem, but travelling to a merchant location every time you want a repair is troublesome. And I'm not losing condition very fast, I'm just OCD about keeping my weapons in top shape.

Be a drug addict. I am damn serious take buffout, med-x and pyscho before each fight and watch yourself be an absolutely unstoppable dreadnaught who can tear apart entire patrols of BOS with your bare hands. The withdrawl penalties suck but eventually you are just swamped with the stuff so you shouldn't have trouble having a healthy supply of the stuff with you at all times.

Also try multiple kinds of combat. You're going to be doing it a fucking ton so you better enjoy it. I personally enjoyed fighting unarmed the best it just felt so badass that I was running through a hellish shooting from my enemies and punching them to death. But maybe you'd prefer sniping, or shooting people with pistols or just lobing explosives around.

C

Chronos[Ha-G]

Haven't read everything in this thread - yet - but if you want to max your stats, DO NOT READ ANY SKILL BOOKS until you get the perk that gives you 2 skill points every time you read a skill book.

There's a shit-ton of stuff I could list, but I'm busy at the moment - more later if others don't cover them first.

Shegokigo said:
I've played through Fallout 3 about 5x now, and through 2 of the DLC and soon a 3rd. This is my advice:

Get Lockpick to 75 as fast as possible, you'll be able to pick open anything but \"Very Hard\" locks with that. Then look for gear with +lockpick and find the \"Tumblers today\" books and the Bobblehead to get it to \"Very Hard\" level from there.

I recommend that really for almost any skill you plan on taking to 100 actually. Get it to 75 and then let the books/bobbleheads do the rest.

The two main skills after lockpick you NEED to raise are Small guns and Sneak. Why? With those two skills capped you can kill almost anything in the main game with your AP in VATS with headshots from a pistol/rifle. Sneak for the instant critical obviously.

If you're playing on the PC, I recommend giving this a look:
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=5672&hilit=+fallout

After that, your skills are 100% up to you and what type of character you want to play. I recommend setting your stats:

STR: No higher than 6 (you get 1pt from a bobblehead, 1pt from a quest, and 2pts if needed from power armor)
INT: 5-7
CHA: 1-3 (very uncessary stat in the long run)
AGI: 5-7
LUC: 5 (you get one point from a bobblehead, 6 is the level you want for the crit perk)

Otherwise, play as you like, try it all out. The beauty of Fallout is there's so many branches and styles to play and the replayability is awesome.
I can't stress the last sentence enough. Shego's advice is very Rogue/Sniperey, which isn't surprising given that that is her playstyle for most games, but don't be afraid to do whatever the hell you want because you can really play it a million different ways. You can be all guns a blazing, or subtle and sneakey.

Bowielee said:
I can't stress the last sentence enough. Shego's advice is very Rogue/Sniperey, which isn't surprising given that that is her playstyle for most games, but don't be afraid to do whatever the hell you want because you can really play it a million different ways. You can be all guns a blazing, or subtle and sneakey.
Very very true. I pretty much only used small guns in my first few playthroughs, until I decided to try setting up an unarmed character on a whim. High DR armor + Deathclaw Gauntlet + right selection of perks = absolutely terrifying.

I'm thinking of trying melee next.

Yeah, second on the repair. It is hugely vital for properly maintaining your weapons on the run. Weapons can lose points of damage even from a small amount of shots at the higher repair percentages.

I personally go for (weapon type) + Lockpick + Sneak + repair from the getgo, they're that important.

If you're on PC< I might also look into a few mods once you get your bearings, see what you feel needs work.

I always use Repir Rethought, to make repair make sense.

I also use a mod to make Dogmeat unkillable.

And since i'm so evil I use Killable Kids.

Lastly, for advanced users, there is a weapon rebalance mod I use to make the useless weapons have a point in the game.

The Dogmeat mod isn't so vital now, if you buy the Brotherhood of Steel DLC. There is a perk in that called PUPPIES! that makes a new Dogmeat spawn at Vault 13 every time one is killed.

Repair really isn't necessary, all you have to do is go to Rivet City outside after every mission (after upgrading the wandering vendors) and fully repair anything that needs it.

Shegokigo said:
Repair really isn't necessary, all you have to do is go to Rivet City outside after every mission (after upgrading the wandering vendors) and fully repair anything that needs it.
It is helpful though, which basically the gist of the skill. It's still better to have than Barter, as Repair also has a few scattered uses in areas outside of maintain equipment, like fixing doors or broken machinery... which is ironic, because Repair was REALLY useful in Fallout 1 and 2 because of how many things you could fix with it.

Draxo said:
Yeah, second on the repair. It is hugely vital for properly maintaining your weapons on the run. Weapons can lose points of damage even from a small amount of shots at the higher repair percentages.

I personally go for (weapon type) + Lockpick + Sneak + repair from the getgo, they're that important.

If you're on PC< I might also look into a few mods once you get your bearings, see what you feel needs work.

I always use Repir Rethought, to make repair make sense.

I also use a mod to make Dogmeat unkillable.

And since i'm so evil I use Killable Kids.

Lastly, for advanced users, there is a weapon rebalance mod I use to make the useless weapons have a point in the game.
I know he's not playing the game on the PC because he started a thread not too long ago about which console game he should play first, and Fallout 3 was one of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.