Fast-Food Chains like Mcdy's?

I crave fast food fries so bad after practice. I know it's my body's way of telling me I need salt, and there are probably healthier ways to get it but I DOOOON'T CAAAAAARE. Also, I live near an interstate exit, so I can pick one of 6 places to get said fries. I usually go with Wendy's, but I sometimes also pick McDonald's or Arby's. I am not a fan of BK at all.

Last edited:
Best fries I ever had were these waffle cut fries at this local place that closed shop. I still miss those damn fries.

My guess would be the leftover meat that's been sitting under a heat lamp all day.
Close. It's the left over bits from the grill. They just scrap it, strain it, and toss it into the chili. It's never FRESH stuff and it's not like they dump it out every day and make a new base ether.

Fast food (as an industry) spends a lot of time and R&D trying to craft things that are inexpensive and quick to prepare, attractive to customers, and relatively shelf-stable.
As a result, they tend to create foods which are rich in salt, sugar, and fats, and which are further enhanced through caramelization or the Maillard reaction (Think of this the next time someone asks you, "Do you want that toasted?"). They taste delicious because they are designed to be appealing to your basest senses, taste and smell. Marketing pressure might result in different formulations ("high fiber" or "low-carb," for instance) or toppings (lettuce and tomato to add color and eye appeal), but generally their aim is to get you sufficiently addicted to their food (physically or psychologically (or socially)) that you become a repeat customer and source of revenue, nothing more. It is a business, not a service...that is, their primary interest is one of making money, not one of providing healthy meals or relieving you of kitchen drudgery.

--Patrick

Well, duh. Local will be better than chain 99.99% of the time. But that's like comparing apples to obsidian.
This place was actually part of a local chain. Just couldn't compete with this other, larger local chain (which has very good, but comparably inferior fries).

I was from a SUPER small town growing up and A&W was the closest thing we had to fast food that wasn't a few towns over. It was only open during the summertime, but jesus christ did I love their hot dogs.

A&W in huge in Canada, and it's good. Don't know what it's like in the 'states, because once I was in one that was attached to a gas station and it was beyond terrible, and I never saw another one. Not that I've been looking hard either. Honestly, before I moved to a place that had Triple-Os, I went there when I had a choice over McD, BK, or Wendy's. Now I go to Triple-Os.

There are still A&Ws here in MI, but they are not common, and there are only a few of the full-on drive-in ones left.

--Patrick

GasBandit

Staff member
There was the occasional one in Colorado, but they're pretty much extinct here in Texas from what I've seen.

We have A&W here in Columbus, but the only one I can think of is a combination A&W/Long John Silvers. I'm told stuff is good there but I usually don't get it.

Teddy's Bigger Burgers is a local chain that makes a great burger because they make it to your specifications. The menu I linked doesn't include the specialty burgers. Apparently they also have franchises in WA, IA, and one in Japan.
It's surprising how often you see diner style places in Japan now. It's kind of how they picture "American" restaurants to be and not every town has a place where you can get a burger so...

Best burger I've had at a restaurant? George's All American Grille here in Columbus, OH. Been around in various locations for over 50 years so it's become a Westside institution. Ignore the Yelp reviews... it has the best coneys and burgers you can get outside of Columbus proper and probably the best coneys in 100 miles. The only place I've been to where you can get hand dipped onion rings too.

Best burger I've had from a chain? Probably the Bison Burger at BJ's Restaurant & Brewhouse. It's a big bison hamburger with pico de gallo on top. Super, super lean for red meat.