Fitness Goals

Status
Not open for further replies.
Everyone's seemingly talking about the P90x program. Aside from the 60-90 minutes per day and the cost of the program, what supplements does it suggest for the diet? If I were to consider it, would I be spending a lot of money on supplements? Are there other costs aside from the weights/bands, mats, pushup and pullup tools, and chair?
Hey, stienman; it might not be the P90x, but a friend and I do fairly intensive workouts (weights, cardio, freerunning, rock climbing, etc) near the University and you'd be more than welcome to join us if you'd like.

For my own fitness goals: I'd like to get back to being able to bench 210, since I just had a crazy set of exams and wasn't able to lift for a few weeks. I'd also like to get back to being able to rock climb for a couple hours before exhaustion set in (rather than the 40 or so minutes I'm capable of now...).

So, a few days ago, I decided that I was going to try and eat much more slowly than I normally do. And I'm realizing that I get full much quicker when I do this. Totally gonna stick with it and see if it helps/makes a difference for me.

I just wanted to mention it in case anyone else wanted to maybe give it a go. :)

I'm of the "Food's not doing me any good on the OUTSIDE of me" school of eating (which occasionally leads to snide comments about how much I can fit in my mouth, and making some man happy someday), so I might have to give this a try sometime...

Cajungal

Staff member
Eating slower definitely works. One of the good things I got out of Weight Watchers was that they made you analyze your hunger with a number scale. It's kind of like this:

5-4: You're uncomfortably hungry and are in danger of overeating. Be very mindful of portions and eating speed.
3. You feel hungry, but not very uncomfortable. You can keep your energy up by having a small meal.
2-1: You feel comfortable and satisfied, perhaps a little too full if you're at a 1.
0: You have overeaten and are probably uncomfortably full.

The goal was to stay between 2 and 3 all day. It's very hard to do when you work full time and can't really get away or stop whenever you feel like you need a little boost. I keep a baggie of raw almonds in my teacher bag/purse to try and stay on track.

S

SeraRelm

What if you feel between those without eating most of the time? I should look this up for myself, but I feel like distracting you so I can discipline you some more.:awesome:

I used to feel the exact same way OC. I call it the 'shovel method'. And where I'm not super picky, I would pretty much eat anything in sight. I'm completely enjoying my 'savor it' method now. Food tastes better to me now that I slow down and enjoy it. :)

That's an awesome scale, thanks for sharing Cajungal! Good thing to keep in mind. Woo!

I weighed myself today and I am down to 177lbs!

I still want to lose a little more weight so I can get down to 170lbs but still I have been making good progress and hopefully it will keep progressing along nicely.

Cajungal

Staff member
Yay!

I just did the HELL out of my Zumba routine. This is a layer of badassery, though it looks like sweat.

One thing that has me a bit flustered is the fact that I have size 32 pair of jeans that are practically falling off me and yet when I measure my waist it says I have a 35" waist. I understand that all jeans fit differently but I would have figured if a size 32 pair of jeans were loose on me I would have a 32" or a 33" waist but no I have a 35" waist. I just can't quite figure it out I have been dieting and for the most part eating healthy. I work out 4 time a week and I weigh 177lbs which is withing my weight range (although I still want to drop down to 170lbs) and yet despite my pants falling of me I find my waist size barely dropping (or at least not as fast as it seems like it should considering everything)

Men's jeans have vanity sizing, too.

-edit-

Hmm, the article I was thinking of actually talks about casual dress pants, not jeans, so perhaps it's not applicable.
Still, I'd guess it's more likely than not that it applies to jeans as well. Here's the graphic:

Went to the doctor.

My body fat is almost sickness because it's so high.
My muscle mass is almost sickness because it's so low.

I'm basically the Stay Puft sailor.

BananaHands

Staff member
Haven't really posted in here lately, but I'm really starting to see some changes. Also, running around for a week at Bonnaroo didn't hurt with the light-eating and a lot of walking and running around with camera equipment.

A bit sick, but I'm gonna force myself to the gym tonight to keep it going.

I'm not going to continue to walk until my feet are ready to fall off like I did in DC last week, but I should try to fit *something* in to my routine. I want to keep that weight I've lost OFF.

S

SeraRelm

blah... so hot now. 6 mile run when I haven't done much lately was dumb.

My running hasn't been going so well lately because of how cold it has been outside lately.

I don't know if it makes me a pansy or not but I find it hard to work up the extra motivation it takes to get my body moving in the freezing cold. Until it warms up again I think i'm going to have to try to make up for it at the gym :\

Cajungal

Staff member
Don't feel bad. Sometimes it's so hot here that I opt for an indoor workout instead of feeling nauseated and light-headed all day. It's like I can never drink enough or get cool enough afterwards, and on days when I have other stuff to do, it's not worth it. Mornings are easier.

I haven't run in almost 3 weeks because of my foot. I should have gone to the doctor, but I keep convincing myself that if I rest it that it will be better. I feel like a blob.

Finally got back to running this week. Tonight my choice was to run uphill with the sun shining in my face or run downhill into the wind. Needless to say I did not go for the full 30 minutes. I was nauseous at the halfway mark. But I also fit in 3 sets of push-ups and planks (10, 10, and 20/set)

I actually got to the gym three times this week! On the other two days I tried to to do something physical...but I mostly just put on a yoga youtube channel and marvelled at how flexible these people are, thus doing nothing.

Hopefully I'll get to take a walk tomorrow.

I'm on Day 5 of the RCMP Ladder Rung Thingie that stienman posted in Doom's thread. I don't have any real goals but I have a girl now who sees me naked occasionally and I'd like her to enjoy that. :)

BananaHands

Staff member
Aw yeah. Signed up for a yoga class.

Other than that, been doing a steady going to the gym five days a week. Here's hoping it'll pay off eventually.

Given all the YRG I've been doing in the last few weeks, I've been curious about something. I used to love doing the Back Bend yoga pose. But given how badly in shape I'd gotten in the past year, it wasn't possible.

Today, Dad took a picture of me attempting it and...

Snap. :D

And as an added bonus, Crane pose:

Proper Crane pose, however, asks that the legs be inside or tucked into the arms. I'm not quite there, yet, but I can balance on just my hands.

Nick if that's your entire trade shelf I'll be disappointed.

I tweaked my groin area in my last hockey game, I need to become more flexible. Maybe try this Yogurt thing, everyone on here is going on about.

Nick if that's your entire trade shelf I'll be disappointed.

I tweaked my groin area in my last hockey game, I need to become more flexible. Maybe try this Yogurt thing, everyone on here is going on about.
Hey, there's a number of pro-wrestlers that are getting into it, too. Daniel Bryan swears by it. Orton and Santino recently got into it, too, and loving it.

As for my bookshelf, HELL NO that's not all. That's just one bookcase. There's another one right beside it. And that's not even all of my collection.

Hey, there's a number of pro-wrestlers that are getting into it, too. Daniel Bryan swears by it. Orton and Santino recently got into it, too, and loving it.

As for my bookshelf, HELL NO that's not all. That's just one bookcase. There's another one right beside it. And that's not even all of my collection.
I know there's several NHL players who are the same, Cam Ward (Goalie for the Carolina Hurricanes) swears by it.

BananaHands

Staff member
I'd avoid the bikram(heat) yoga craze if you're serious about getting into yoga.

You won't learn any of the actual poses, and it ends up being a bit more damaging than helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.