For Sale: Halforums

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave

Staff member
Okay, I put up the Donations. You can see them on the front page and/or the sidebar in the Main Forum area.

Here's my reasoning behind why I don't like to open up the donations thing.

We all have issues. We all have money problems of one sort or another. Why the hell am I so special that I feel that I can open myself to take your money to help myself when there are others - probably on this board - who are worse off? (Actually, if someone here is worse off I feel sorry for you!)

Does taking your money make me feel like a low-grade employee? Nah. Hell, I already do more work for this place than I do for my real job! (That's a joke if you are reading this, boss!) It's not a joke.

Seriously, though, it has more to do with the fact that I don't want to be "that guy". You know him - the guy who always wants to go out but never has any money so he has to borrow from you.

So there you go. Donations are open. All money will be used for the site and nothing else.

And in case I haven't said it lately...thanks, folks.

---------- Post added at 11:03 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:02 AM ----------

Now what happened to Mabel, damn it?!?

Seriously, though, it has more to do with the fact that I don't want to be "that guy". You know him - the guy who always wants to go out but never has any money so he has to borrow from you.

Believe me when I say you were more "that guy" the way you were doing it then just having a donations option up.

I post on a large music forum (50K plus members). The admins of that site offer subscriptions, which range from $12 to $50. The lowest allows access to their Emporiums, or forums where users sell gear. The next step up allows for an increased PM box and the ability to change your user title, and the largest of which allows for more PMs, a customer user title, and avatars. Other than that, as far as I understand it, the extra funds are used for the site, for example to pay for defense in the event of a lawsuit (which, sadly, does happen).

Does that model work for this site? Not necessarily, but they realize that they can't support the site out of the generosity of donations (the way it used to be) or out of their own pocket. They leverage the user base and that base's desire to sell gear to pay for the site. And, as a relatively frequent poster on that site, I do not mind paying, even if I sell little gear.

I think I speak for everyone, Dave, when I say that no one wanted you to take the full brunt of responsibilities for the site, especially financially.

We're a community. Frankly speaking, this is probably the closest community that I've been proud to be a part of. We've ALL supported each other in one way or another, even financially a few times. Heck, if I ever get this book finished and published, I hope that people will be buying it. :)

We all want to see this forum continue and we all want to do something to contribute to its success.

I'm glad you opened up for donations. I will toss in my two cents later. Personally, the donation option should be available for limited times, much like PBS does. If people get used to not using the button, we will all learn to not use it. Keep it open for a couple of weeks twice a year (or whatever is necessary) and it could serve as an effective way to supplement the site costs.

Okay, I put up the Donations. You can see them on the front page and/or the sidebar in the Main Forum area.

Here's my reasoning behind why I don't like to open up the donations thing.

We all have issues. We all have money problems of one sort or another. Why the hell am I so special that I feel that I can open myself to take your money to help myself when there are others - probably on this board - who are worse off? (Actually, if someone here is worse off I feel sorry for you!)

Does taking your money make me feel like a low-grade employee? Nah. Hell, I already do more work for this place than I do for my real job! (That's a joke if you are reading this, boss!) It's not a joke.

So there you go. Donations are open. All money will be used for the site and nothing else.

And in case I haven't said it lately...thanks, folks.

---------- Post added at 11:03 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:02 AM ----------

Now what happened to Mabel, damn it?!?

Fuck you Dave. Don't take yourself so important. This isn't about you.

It's about the forums.

And it's about time you opened up them donations. ;-)

(And thank you for all the hard work you put in this forum, keeping it running and offering a platform for us. And yes: You ARE doing the right thing by opening up the donations. I mean, it's not like you are putting a gun against our heads and DEMANDING our money... You are ALLOWING us to share, to participate and to be able to keep this platform going. Don't forget that.)

---------- Post added at 07:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:00 PM ----------

And, yes, THIS:

I think I speak for everyone, Dave, when I say that no one wanted you to take the full brunt of responsibilities for the site, especially financially.

We're a community. Frankly speaking, this is probably the closest community that I've been proud to be a part of. We've ALL supported each other in one way or another, even financially a few times. Heck, if I ever get this book finished and published, I hope that people will be buying it. :)

We all want to see this forum continue and we all want to do something to contribute to its success.

---------- Post added at 07:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:01 PM ----------

And yes, I actually changed my username back to "Drachenherz"... That's somehow so much more "me" than my real name... :Leyla:

Drachenherz makes you sound like a mysterious foreign investor who mysteriously invests in Halforums for reasons that are...mysterious.

Drachenherz makes you sound like a mysterious foreign investor who mysteriously invests in Halforums for reasons that are...mysterious.
Drachenherz sounds more badass than andi. Period.[/QUOTE]

Drachenherz sounds like a unit of frequency measurement.

Kilohertz
Megahertz
Gigahertz
Terahertz
Drachenherz

Alternately it sounds like the punchline to a children's joke regarding an injured fire breathing reptile.

I approve :thumbsup:

Drachenherz sounds more badass than andi. Period.[/QUOTE]

Drachenherz sounds like a unit of frequency measurement.

Kilohertz
Megahertz
Gigahertz
Terahertz
Drachenherz

Alternately it sounds like the punchline to a children's joke regarding an injured fire breathing reptile.

I approve :thumbsup:[/QUOTE]

This officialy made me laugh. I like.

---------- Post added at 10:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:22 PM ----------

and to serve:

Ze Doktor iz at your sserviz...

Yikes! Back from Drachenherz to Andi, even my avatar has been changed... What's going on? I paid for that name-change! Where are my halbucks? *shakes fist angrily*

B

Biannoshufu

Yikes! Back from Drachenherz to Andi, even my avatar has been changed... What's going on? I paid for that name-change! Where are my halbucks? *shakes fist angrily*
*smacks your face with a pine cone repeatedly until you stop talking or typing and chill out.*

Dave

Staff member
Name changes are easy but I'm taking the functionality away from the users as we had several people use it multiple times. It were annoying.

And welcome back!

B

Biannoshufu

Name changes are easy but I'm taking the functionality away from the users as we had several people use it multiple times. It were annoying.

And welcome back!
Now we just create alts. It are a workaround.

Status
Not open for further replies.