Fox to Futurama fans: HAHAHA...

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.variety.com/article/VR111800 ... 1&nid=2562

When “Futurama” returns to TV next year, it may be without the show’s original voice cast.

Talks have broken down between 20th Century Fox TV and stars Billy West, Katey Sagal, John DiMaggio, Maurice LaMarche and Tress MacNeille over how much they should be paid to take part in the show.

The studio announced last month that it would produce 26 new episodes of “Futurama,” with Comedy Central onboard to begin airing the new episodes in mid-2010. As part of the announcement, the show’s producers said stars including West, Sagal and DiMaggio had all signed on to return.

Turns out that wasn’t true.

The stars had all expressed interest in returning. But with the budget for “Futurama” dramatically slashed, the salary offers came in well below what the thesps were asking -- believed to be around $75,000 per episode. (It was not clear what 20th was offering. Calls to the voice stars’ reps were not immediately returned.)

As a result, 20th has put out a casting call to find replacement voice actors for the show. According to insiders, a deal could eventually be struck that brings the original voice actors back -- but for now, the studio said it’s serious about finding replacements.

It’s not the first time 20th has gone that route during a tough negotiation on one of its toons. The studio previously threatened to replace the voice talent on “The Simpsons” when it couldn’t come to a deal with its stars. Casting feelers for replacements were even sent out, but a deal was eventually struck with the stars.

The situation is different with “Futurama,” as 20th and Comedy Central have been looking to slash the budget on “Futurama” to make it financially viable for a cable run. Yet there’s also still a possibility -- and a window built in -- for “Futurama” to run first on a broadcast network (mostly likely Fox).

With a smaller budget, the producers are already adjusting to a smaller writing staff and a shorter delivery schedule.

Created by Matt Groening and David X. Cohen, “Futurama” originally aired on Fox from 1999 to 2003. The success of the show’s repeats on DVD and cable, as well as a series of firstrun DVD releases, led to the decision to revive “Futurama.”

“We love the ‘Futurama’ voice performers and absolutely wanted to use them, but unfortunately, we could not meet their salary demands,” 20th Century Fox TV said in a statement. “While replacing these talented actors will be difficult, the show must go on. We are confident that we will find terrific new performers to give voice to Matt and David’s brilliantly subversive characters.”

I would rather see no new episodes put out than substandard ones put out with cut rate voice actors.

The five seasons of futurama were gold so why throw out one :tina: of a season just because they can.

C

Chazwozel

Fuck overpaid actors. I can do voices. I'm calling up Fox and work for a couple thousand an episode!

Ah! Luckily for me I've always watched it in Spanish, and since the voice actors here are badly paid (they can hardly make a living) I don't think we'll have this problem :D

Hopefully the actors will lower their salary requests, but if they don't it would be better to just not do it at all...

$75,000 an episode?

Yes you guys are great voice actors, but my goodness... That is like 900k for one season. I could retire off that shit.

ScytheRexx said:
$75,000 an episode?

Yes you guys are great voice actors, but my goodness... That is like 900k for one season. I could retire off that poop.
Well, the question is what is the show worth? It might be worth that much. I mean, Nancy CArtwright gets 400,000 an ep and the rest of the folks get over 350,000 per ep. Obviously Futurama isn't Simpons money, but that might not be an outrageous number for a successful show.

E

elph

ScytheRexx said:
$75,000 an episode?

Yes you guys are great voice actors, but my goodness... That is like 900k for one season. I could retire off that shit.
Yeah, that's just nuts.

How much is everyone else on the staff making? I know a network has potential to make millions off a show, but I really think the rest of the staff needs to be paid comperably. The actors are providing voice and that's about it. It's up to the writers and artists to do the rest. How much do they make per episode? I highly doubt it's anywhere near half that.

At first I wasn't going to watch it if they didn't get the original voices, but really, my biggest complaint about Hollywood is that the actors get so much of a shows budget, while the rest of the staff (that is just as important if they can't do their job) doesn't get paid nearly as much.

elph said:
At first I wasn't going to watch it if they didn't get the original voices, but really, my biggest complaint about Hollywood is that the actors get so much of a shows budget, while the rest of the staff (that is just as important if they can't do their job) doesn't get paid nearly as much.
It is just hard to stomach. The majority of the work is going to come from the writers and animators. Billy West could walk in and in less then a week record all his dialogue for an episode (BAM 75K), wearing a buffalo wing stained t-shirt and a beard that would make Grizzly Adams weep, and no one would care because all that matters is how well his voice presents the dialogue. He is not investing his whole image into it, that is being done by the animators to create his animated persona, and spend a lot of time doing it for probably 1/5th the pay if even that.

Again, I love the voices of those characters. They made the characters and gave them an audio personality, but what about those that gave them a VISUAL personality? I don't think they would be getting 75k an episode, EACH.

Meh.

Seriously, if this bothers some of you this much don't ever look into what actors are paid for making those talking pictures at the theater. This is peanuts.

Then again, a good voice actor only has the one tool to use to define his character. It is a rare talent to really do that well.

Just listen to most animated films that strive to be blockbusters and hire every hot actor in Hollywood... and none of them can voice act and the film falls on its face.

sixpackshaker said:
Then again, a good voice actor only has the one tool to use to define his character. It is a rare talent to really do that well.
I know, I love it how people go, "I can do that! Screw them!"

To be fair, Billy is half the cast.

Besides that, this is how much it costs to pay people in a successful production. The DVDs were lucrative and Fox is trying to cash in while cutting costs.

Cajungal

Staff member
If you listen to the commentary, in some episodes Billy West talks about how he came up for Fry's voice and how it evolved. It's physically very hard, and it IS acting, just minus the body. During old episodes or flashbacks to the cryogenic lab scene, West can sometimes be heard marvelling over how weird Fry used to sound. (And yeah, like you above me said, he doesn't just do ONE voice.)

And Maurice Lamarche and Frank Welker? Those guys are like voice acting veterans. Those two make up a lot of the show too.

Do I think that amount is fair? That's hard for me to judge, because it all sounds like so much. All I know is they all really seem to love the show and care about the quality of their performances.

Espy said:
Seriously, if this bothers some of you this much don't ever look into what actors are paid for making those talking pictures at the theater. This is peanuts.
Maybe as an animator I am just bitter. :slywink:

Here's the thing. Animators can be more easily replaced. The voice actors are the least replaceable value of the show. writers can change without viewers noticing, animation studios can change without viewers noticing, but voice actors are difficult to replace without upsetting viewers. That is why they are paid so much more.

Covar said:
Here's the thing. Animators can be more easily replaced. The voice actors are the least replaceable value of the show. writers can change without viewers noticing, animation studios can change without viewers noticing, but voice actors are difficult to replace without upsetting viewers. That is why they are paid so much more.
This is what I was thinking. Its not about the difficulty of the job or the effort, its about the commercial value of those specific people.

Honestly I think the original cast should take the pay cut this season. Now that it's going to be on Comedy Central and (hopefully) not suffer from crappy scheduling time it should be a pretty big success this time around. This season they take a pay cut, but next season they can get even more than they asked for this season.

ScytheRexx said:
Espy said:
Maybe as an animator I am just bitter. :slywink:
Hey man, I feel you. It sucks. The problem is there is only one Billy West and about 20,000 people who can do what you do. I say that as someone who has worked in the motion graphics field and the production side of things. Animators and production folks are a dime a dozen, a unique and amazing actor is not.

Also (not directed at any one person): Who is anyone else to say what is "fair" pay? You buy the DVD's and watched the show, YOU created the demand for it and now the people who are the cornerstones of it want what they believe they deserve for their work that you bought. Now they haggle with the network. That sounds like a "fair" system.

fade

Staff member
Espy said:
sixpackshaker said:
I know, I love it how people go, "I can do that! Screw them!"
I didn't get "I can do that" so much as "It takes a lot more than that, talented though that may be."

But it's true. It's not just money either. Directors and actors are extremely vital, but the skeleton comes from the writers. And they never get the credit (much less the money) the director gets, even though their work is possibly even more important.

I was actually agreeing with sixpack Fade, and just expanding upon the idea many seem to have that "anyone" can do voice work.

Fox did the same thing with the Simpsons (multiple times) and eventually an agreement was met.

I honestly think the only reason they didn't do it (or we didn't hear about it) with Family Guy is that Seth M. does so many of the voices they aren't paying 12 different voice actors.

In the end, they will get the original actors back. The show will make a boat load of money and what the actors are asking for will be a small drop in the bucket.

C

Chazwozel

Espy said:
I was actually agreeing with sixpack Fade, and just expanding upon the idea many seem to have that "anyone" can do voice work.

And I was 100% serious that I can do voice work.

T

The Mike

tegid said:
Ah! Luckily for me I've always watched it in Spanish, and since the voice actors here are badly paid (they can hardly make a living) I don't think we'll have this problem :D
I'm sure you get the Spanish version with Spanish actors but here in Mexico we had that problem with the people who did the Spanish (Mexican Spanish) version of the Simpsons and they said screw you and got a new cast to do it, the show immediately lost half the audience.

The Mike said:
tegid said:
I'm sure you get the Spanish version with Spanish actors but here in Mexico we had that problem with the people who did the Spanish (Mexican Spanish) version of the Simpsons and they said screw you and got a new cast to do it, the show immediately lost half the audience.
Ay Caramba!

C

Chazwozel

The Mike said:
tegid said:

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGI52iiIcxg:2dxf4wac][/youtube:2dxf4wac]

A

Aisaku

The Mike said:
tegid said:
:quote:

That's a true story. I still do not care about the Simpsons at all after watching them religiously before. That said, I prefer the original cast on Futurama, specially Billy West's characters.

Would they really prefer to let go of their key characters just because FOX won't pay them in proportion to the money they make?

Look at the credits for the movies...The voices for all of the cast are basically done by, what, 5 people? 75K an episode per person isn't really that much. Compare it to the well over a million dollar the actors of Friends earned at the end *shrug*

Status
Not open for further replies.