From here to modernity.

A few weeks ago Halforums disappeared from my ancient (7 or 8 years old ) computer. At that time most of my favourite sites were telling me that my browser was outdated. I tried to download a later version but my computer could not handle it, and at the same time Windows gave up on my lovely XP.

Obviously this called for drastic action so I bought a discontinued model laptop in a sale. This was a mixed blessing. On the plus side I was now able to get onto Halforums, but the big downside is that it runs Windows 8.1.:(

It has taken me a while to reach a point where I feel confident enough to write a post, which accounts for my recent rarity! The most ironic thing though is that after I had bought this new machine Halforums reappeared on my old one!

after I had bought this new machine Halforums reappeared on my old one!
Halforums had some difficulties and had to move to a new physical machine, it took a while for all corners of the Internet to realize this change.
Glad to see you forging ahead in to the future.

--Patrick

to....errr.....to appreciate the New and Improved Windows Experience, great for all kinds of users. Hmmm-hmm. Yes. There's no Microsoft goon squad standing behind me forcing me to be positive about Windows, mind. This is absolutely my own opinion and I wholeheartedly believe Windows 8.1 is a great tool and work environment for me and many others. Yes.

Run, you fools!

You can download a program called "classic shell" and it gives you back the start menu and the desktop environment by default on startup

fade

Staff member
Apple users got over it. They pulled the Apple menu with the release of OSX. Well, they left the Apple, but made it only hold system stuff. Which makes more logical sense, but people liked all their programs there.

I have heard a rumour that 8.1 will be gradually upgraded to 10 at the end of July.
Word is that when 10 comes out, everyone with a legitimate license for 7 or higher will be allowed to upgrade to 10 for free, so long as you do it within 1yr from when 10 comes out. People with illegitimate licenses for 7 or higher will also be allowed to upgrade to 10 for free, but it will be a different "we knew you were not legit" sort of license.

--Patrick