[Gaming] FTL

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, I think this deserves it's own thread. For anyone that doesn't know, FTL stands for Faster Than Light, a rogue-like space game in which your rag-tag crew and flying garbage heap of a ship attempt to cross the universe with important information regarding the war effort. It's hard, it's random, it's super super fun. You will die, either when your ship is blown up, or you run out of oxygen, or you encounter a being of energy inside a nebula that de-ages your crew into nonexistence (it happened to me).

http://www.ftlgame.com

In this thread, we talk about our adventures and share tips. My biggest tip so far? Upgrade your engines! Shields are your best defense early in the game, but in the later sectors they'll get torn to shreds, and shields don't do anything to stop missles! With fully upgraded engines, and a pilot and engineer both at gold skill level, you can have a 50% chance to dodge every single attack sent your way!

Amazing amazing game. Has taken me away from all the games I had on my -Currently Playing- list for hours. I'm not very far in, only have ENGI ship unlocked and always get torn up by the 5th space sector but damn am I enjoying the hell out of it.

The best part, since it has ROGUE like features the game remains fresh no matter how many times you play it.

I also learned really quickly not to name my ship or my crew as dying is guaranteed 99% of the time and I don't need another -I'm a leaf on the wind- moment.

Another tip: don't fight near stars. Just don't do it. If your next jump puts you near a star, your primary concern should be to get out of there asap.

I jumped and landed near a star, and lo and behold there's a Rockman interceptor just hanging out there, and he turns hostile to me. Rockmen are immune to heat, so the solar flares battering our ships does little to them. The rockmen open fire, damaging our shields, but we're able to repair them and almost get them recharged when a solar flare hits the ship. Fires break out, the engine room is hit hardest. Damn, we can't charge the FTL core to get the hell out of here if the engines don't work! My chief gunner abandons the weapon systems in an attempt to help my engineer put out the flames and repair the engines when a rockman missle takes out our O2 scrubber, now the fires are using up our oxygen. Another solar flare hits, the cockpit is on fire, and my brave pilot dies extinguishing the flames. The engines finally come back online, I divert all remaining power to them, and my shield operator takes up position in the pilot's seat, performing an FTL jump the moment the core comes active to get away to freedom! The ship is on fire, we have maybe 5% hull integrity left, but we've managed to escape!

And ran directly into a Mantis pirate ship, asking us to pay a toll of 50 scrap or fight. We only have 5 scrap...

Just vent the remaining oxygen into space. We don't want to be awake to see what's about to come.

I get torn up whenever playing the Human Freighter by invaders. I barely survive when using the ENGI ship and anti-invader measures (Anti-personal Bots + Blast Doors) but even then I truly know no fear until I see a Mantis ship and 2+ invaders seconds later.

Wish there was an anti-teleporting augment.

I get torn up whenever playing the Human Freighter by invaders. I barely survive when using the ENGI ship and anti-invader measures (Anti-personal Bots + Blast Doors) but even then I truly know no fear until I see a Mantis ship and 2+ invaders seconds later.

Wish there was an anti-teleporting augment.
If you unlock the Zoltan ship, or manage to find a zoltan shield augment, you get a temporary shield that has to be torn down at the beginning of every fight before damage to your regular shield and ship can happen. Enemies also can't teleport onto your ship until it's torn down. This isn't true for random boarding events, though.

Fully upgraded blast doors and funneling enemy boarders to my medbay to fight them there seems to work best for me. If you can find a biobomb weapon, which teleports bombs that do damage to people but not systems or hull, that can be used to target rooms of your own ship as well.

Had the bio bomb but not the blast doors so they would destroy a room before I could get the bomb off.

So goes the luck of the draw I suppose.

Jesse Cox (one of my personal favorite game reviewers) plays FTL. Nice glimpse of the game if you're not sold on the text reviews.

Going to start a new game tonight. Going to name the ship Halforum and create names for the first crewmen. I assume the new crew you get to join you can be renamed?

Ya me neither, my rock guy's name was riidiculous, sounded a lot like cumcquat.

I was like... WAT

Upgrade your medbay, the bonus gets applied to your shipwide healing to help offset how squishy engi are
Wow, thanks for that, I thought the upgrade was for Medbay only. That would be SUPER helpful. Oh and by the way, the advice on focusing on Engine upgrades is awesome.

Wow, thanks for that, I thought the upgrade was for Medbay only. That would be SUPER helpful. Oh and by the way, the advice on focusing on Engine upgrades is awesome.
There are quests and random events that benefit from an upgraded medbay, too.

In other news, guess what happens to your crew if they're aboard an enemy ship when it ftl jumps? I can only assume they're all slaves now.

Based on how much fun everyone here seemed to be having with this game, I bought it last night, just to kill a little bit of time... an hour or so... 5 hours later I went to bed.

Yeah, so far I've unlocked the federation cruiser, the Engi ship and the Zoltan cruiser.

Federation cruiser is a beast.

I have yet to complete the 5th sector.

If I power up against transport, I get demolished by missiles.
If I power up against missiles I get demolished by transport.
If I power up against missiles AND transport I get demolished by droids.

I am having the best time of my life being frustrated :rofl:

Burst lasers, all shot at the same time, was how I did it. Burst lasers rule.

And cloaking when it does it drone storm thing in the second phase.[DOUBLEPOST=1348084466][/DOUBLEPOST]I have no idea how you'd do it on normal without insane luck getting there, which I have yet to accomplish.

Also, micromanage each battle. Someone shoots at you, pause and transfer as much power as possible (without disrupting your weapons or shields too much) to engines for the evasion chance, etc.

On... Easy? I didn't even think of that.... :oops:

I micro manage mid battle, years of Starcraft reflexes I'm happy to say. Yet I can't get past sector 5 on Normal. Boooo.

I get to the boss on every playthrough... and beat the first wave of the Rebel Flagship every time. Then I get obliterated by the stupid drone storm... every time.

I'm going to have to try Frank's advice on the cloaking though. That might be the edge I need in that battle.

Haha yesss final boss is blowing up I... WHAT IS THIS BULLSHIT?!

*droidocalypse*
What... the... fuck....
I finally did the same. How do you stop that many droids? I had everything firing at their droid center and I had a Defense Mark 2. They just blew through my entire 100% Hull bar and double shield in less than 4 turns.

Status
Not open for further replies.