Funny Political Pictures thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

Kitty Sinatra

Americans are dumb. They need a lot of help just to get a lame joke.

(ah crap. This got placed on the next page so it's not gonna be obvious what it's in reply to once this thread goes on for a while. Everyone's gonna think I'm anti-American)

See the above? It REALLY sounds like, yes, that is what you are saying. I figured maybe you wanted to clarify or re-write that, hence my edit.
You said: If you DO NOT want to be LUMPED IN with \"THEM\" then you must express disagreement.
Is that not what you said?
Ok, I'll do an example to help out, ok?

10 people are at a bar. Maybe 3 of them are being rowdy and a general nuisance. They say awful, hateful things. The other 7 look a little uncomfortable, but don't say anything. Hell, even when someone comes over and says something to one of the uncomfortable ones, they stick up for their friend, saying they aren't really like that and they really aren't so bad. Another person brings it up, and the uncomfortable friends are now saying how the other three are just expressing their right to have a good time.

I'm not saying the other 7 are awful, hateful people, but the excuses they make for the other three certainly don't help change how they will be viewed by others. That is the situation I see here. I'm not saying all of the Republican party are racists, I'm saying there is an element of the party that has been allowed to run amok with hateful speech.[/QUOTE]

Ok, that's a good point, to an extent I can totally agree with that, however, I don't agree with your assertion about the racism run amok or the leadership saying "cool!" amongst conservatives. A few examples of some lowly representatives barely pandering to birthers is hardly the epidemic you seem to be trying to make it out to.
I would argue in fact, that by the consistent usage of "racist" from the left is going to end up making voters in general very uncomfortable with them. It's a very, VERY heavy term that seems to be being thrown out with scary ease right now.
Let's be clear since it sounds like you are talking about the recent protest, etc. There may indeed be racist people there. In fact, let's just say there were,but to paint the entire crowd, no matter how stupid their signs or how inane their arguments (and really, Glenn-Dumbass-Beck for prez? :blue: ) as racist would be, in my opinion, not only a very convenient but a slimy way to discredit their arguments as well as a premise for discussion that, while it certainly fits the current tone of politics these days, I'm not comfortable with.
Like I said before. I haven't "heard" you say you don't like the anti-war folks who said they hoped army folk die in Iraq, but I, in no way, would assume you agree with them. I would in fact, assume most of the anti-war protestors do not, DESPITE their stupid signs and dumb slogans and their lack of condemnation for those extremist folks.
Not because I choose to believe the best in people, but because I just can't believe that many people are that horrible without any real proof.
And now to the good stuff:

I agree with that too Espy. I certainly don't discount all of the criticisms of the Democrat party or the policies. I also hope you are right in that the crazy element isn't as prevalent as it appears to me. Unfortunately, even talking to friends who identify with the Republican party, experience is telling me I'm not over reacting.

Well, you can react however you want, we need to fight against corruption and racism and those things are good to right against.

In the end I'm alot less interested in a few dumb-asses from bumblebutt, Alabama with a southern flag on their car than I am about how the government is interacting with Wall Street and how we are going to reform healthcare and what it's going to actually cost us, etc.
Those are the real issues. All this "racist" talk is just a nice sleazy way to distract people from them as far as I am concerned.

A

Armadillo

Well, you can react however you want, we need to fight against corruption and racism and those things are good to right against.

In the end I'm alot less interested in a few dumb-asses from bumblebutt, Alabama with a southern flag on their car than I am about how the government is interacting with Wall Street and how we are going to reform healthcare and what it's going to actually cost us, etc.
Those are the real issues. All this "racist" talk is just a nice sleazy way to distract people from them as far as I am concerned.
You just hit the reason I'm pissed at Wilson more than any other: he HANDED the left another convenient way to distract from what's happening in the financial and business worlds. I didn't think the racism card would be used as much as it has been, but instead of debating the actual merits of Obama's health care push (well, WE are, but we're not typical amongst the electorate), we're talking about two words yelled out by a dumbass representative and whether or not there's racial implications to it.

EDIT: And in fairness to President Obama, he has never implied anything like what Carter has, and even today his press secretary said what Carter said isn't true. So there, I defended Obama. Hope you all took a picture. :D

I think the writing the names onto te objects/people that are acting as symbols is a throwback to the earliest American Political cartoons, from back when you were dealing with a vastly under-educated populace.

About the names thingy... I think it shows the cartoonists are too lazy (or just not good enough) to make the drawings understandable by themselves. (Besides possibly what Ashburner says)

The only way to not be lumped in with them is by expressing that disagreement.
Are you speaking of others generally, or are you saying that you specifically do this by choice?

Because, hey, guilty until proven innocent - nice democratic trait ya got there.

-Adam

I

Iaculus

I think the writing the names onto te objects/people that are acting as symbols is a throwback to the earliest American Political cartoons, from back when you were dealing with a vastly under-educated populace.
You mean last month?

I know, I know, cheap shot...

The only way to not be lumped in with them is by expressing that disagreement.
Are you speaking of others generally, or are you saying that you specifically do this by choice?

Because, hey, guilty until proven innocent - nice democratic trait ya got there.

-Adam[/QUOTE]
I'm talking about human nature, not the democratic process. I thought my explanation made that kinda clear.

See the above? It REALLY sounds like, yes, that is what you are saying. I figured maybe you wanted to clarify or re-write that, hence my edit.
You said: If you DO NOT want to be LUMPED IN with "THEM" then you must express disagreement.
Is that not what you said?
Ok, I'll do an example to help out, ok?

10 people are at a bar. Maybe 3 of them are being rowdy and a general nuisance. They say awful, hateful things. The other 7 look a little uncomfortable, but don't say anything. Hell, even when someone comes over and says something to one of the uncomfortable ones, they stick up for their friend, saying they aren't really like that and they really aren't so bad. Another person brings it up, and the uncomfortable friends are now saying how the other three are just expressing their right to have a good time.

I'm not saying the other 7 are awful, hateful people, but the excuses they make for the other three certainly don't help change how they will be viewed by others. That is the situation I see here. I'm not saying all of the Democrat party constantly and repeatedly play the race card, I'm saying there is an element of the party that has been allowed to run amok with the race card.[/QUOTE]

Took care of that for ya.

HEY! IF YOU WANT TEXT IN HERE IT BETTER BE AS A LABEL TO EXPLAIN A COMPLEX POLITICAL OR CURRENT EVENT AS AN OVERSIMPLIFIED SITUATION!

Status
Not open for further replies.