GB's Political Thread - 08/27/09

Status
Not open for further replies.

GasBandit

Staff member
People who purchased cars recently under this cash for clunkers program may find out a little something they weren't expecting: that $4,500 rebate from the government taxpayers is taxable. Not only are you taxed once, but this blogger points out that depending on which state you live in, you could be taxed twice on clunker rebates.

Do you remember when the Congress called all of the evil executives of oil companies to Capitol Hill to testify about their profits? And remember last summer when the auto executives rolled into Washington to beg for a bailout? Or how about the executives of financial firms that were called to testify about what happened on Wall Street? Well the parade continues. Next up to the Hill are the chief executives of ... you guessed it ... the health insurance companies. They have been called to testify before a congressional hearing about "the nature, cost/benefit, and impact of administrative measures and protocols used by the health insurance industry to determine coverage." The request came in the form of a letter from Rep. Dennis Kucinich. The date is set for September 17th. This oughta be fun to watch.

The courts have ruled that the Federal Reserve must for the first time identify the companies in its emergency lending programs.

Our newest FCC 'Diversity' Chief was inspired by none other than Saul Alinsky. No, this is not a good thing.

This is how government distributes stimulus money. Don't worry ... it will be the same way with healthcare.

I called it, yesterday ... and the winner is ... Senator Robert Byrd, who was the first politician(that we know of) to call for the renaming of the healthcare reform bill after Ted Kennedy.

Michelle Malkin has more on how your tax dollars are funding the enterprises of "bank terrorists."

According to Keith Olbermann, people who watch Fox News are "tin foil hatters, conspiracy theorists, paranoids and racists."

Do you remember when the Congress called all of the evil executives of oil companies to Capitol Hill to testify about their profits? And remember last summer when the auto executives rolled into Washington to beg for a bailout? Or how about the executives of financial firms that were called to testify about what happened on Wall Street? Well the parade continues. Next up to the Hill are the chief executives of ... you guessed it ... the health insurance companies. They have been called to testify before a congressional hearing about "the nature, cost/benefit, and impact of administrative measures and protocols used by the health insurance industry to determine coverage." The request came in the form of a letter from Rep. Dennis Kucinich. The date is set for September 17th. This oughta be fun to watch.
So they wait until after they draft up a bill making the government a health insurance provider? Surely they should have gotten information from the health insurance high ups before they started their own endevor. Of course I would also assume members of Congress read bills before they vote on them so what the hell do I know. :eek:rly:

GasBandit

Staff member
I've been notified by a Mod that it would be preferred to continue to do the political thread in one thread rather than a separate thread for each day. This will be the last day with a separate thread, tomorrow I'll go back to posting in the original thread.

So they wait until after they draft up a bill making the government a health insurance provider? Surely they should have gotten information from the health insurance high ups before they started their own endevor. Of course I would also assume members of Congress read bills before they vote on them so what the hell do I know. :eek:rly:
Yeah, most of them don't read the bills they vote on.
http://www.chickashanews.com/local/local_story_239102559.html

"I don't have to read it, or know what's in it. I'm going to oppose it anyways," -Senator Jim Inhofe, August 26th, 2009

It's how we ended up with the Patriot Act. Only one senator read that (he also was the only one to vote AGAINST it).

Its inexcusable for any Representative or Senator. They only have one fucking job they have to do they could at least attempt to do it well.

Its inexcusable for any Representative or Senator. They only have one fucking job they have to do they could at least attempt to do it well.
I agree. I'm lucky to have a senator who reads the bills before he votes on them. I'm just sad it's the exception, not the rule.

GasBandit

Staff member
Yeah, most of them don't read the bills they vote on.
http://www.chickashanews.com/local/local_story_239102559.html

"I don't have to read it, or know what's in it. I'm going to oppose it anyways," -Senator Jim Inhofe, August 26th, 2009

It's how we ended up with the Patriot Act. Only one senator read that (he also was the only one to vote AGAINST it).
Harry Reid agrees. He said the idea of reading bills before voting on them was ridiculous. Laughable.

Status
Not open for further replies.