Export thread

Godzilla: KING OF MONSTERS

LittleSin

LittleSin

But seriously. Is anyone else crazy excited for the new Godzilla movie. I was kind of in the 'well, that's cool' side of things until I heard that there will be other monsters for him to fight in it. He won't be treated as a misunderstood hero or undisputed villain but more of an anti-hero.

And he won't be facing off against the military like in the 1998 travesty.

I am pumped. Pacific Rim reignited my deep passion for kaiju movies in a big way. I really hope it does well because Del Toro said he would love to do a Pacific Rim cross over with Godzilla. It's as if the man lives in my heart.

I just...please be good, Godzilla-2014. Please.

evilmike

evilmike

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

To think a resin coated leather glove going against a bass string could go such a long way.

I have been waiting for this movie since it was originally called "Godzilla 3-D to the Max" so yeah I'm excited. PLEASE be good, and bring forth the new age of kaiju films!

And yes Godzilla, versus Pacific Rim would be AWESOME! Any good kaiju film deserves a sequel where they fight Godzilla, that is the rule.

Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh

Cloverfield vs Godzilla vs Jaegers!

evilmike

evilmike

Cloverfield vs Godzilla vs Jaegers!

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

And that is how we tie the movies together- DO THIS TOHO! By my nerdy will- DO IT!

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

But seriously. Is anyone else crazy excited for the new Godzilla movie.
FUCK YES.

In a year with some awesome summer releases (Guardians of the Galaxy, Dawn of the Planet of the Apes), this is my big movie. I've adored Godzilla in my earliest memories as a 2 year old watching Godzilla vs Megalon. I can't wait to see this and I hope, hope, hope it's good.

bhamv3

bhamv3

I don't even need it to be good, I'd be happy with "awesome brainless fun" like Pacific Rim was.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Much as I enjoyed Pacific Rim, I'll never need to see it again. I'm hoping Godzilla will be more than that for me.

Far

Far

I took the poster from work as soon as we got it in, one of several copies. Damn beautiful. Very excited.

Espy

Espy

SO EXCITED.

Covar

Covar

Not being a Toho production I'm far less interested than I normally would. Having said that, nothing I've seen about it says it will be terrible so I'm just going to be cautiously aware, and probably go see it if it gets decent reviews (not necissarily critical aclaim, just "if you like Godzilla you should check it out" reviews).

LittleSin

LittleSin

I'm a little bit sad, though.

Jet loves Godzilla movies. He loved Pacific Rim, well, after the brother died and he stopped crying (I felt like an expert parent that time, I tell ya.) and he knows this movie is being released on his birthday.

Except I get the feeling it will be way too intense to take a new 5 year old too. :S

He literally made me replay that roar 20 times yesterday. Each time he commented on how 'awesome' and 'scary' it was.

I'm going to have to break his little heart, ain't I?

evilmike

evilmike

Jet loves Godzilla movies. He loved Pacific Rim, well, after the brother died and he stopped crying (I felt like an expert parent that time, I tell ya.) and he knows this movie is being released on his birthday.

Except I get the feeling it will be way too intense to take a new 5 year old too. :S

He literally made me replay that roar 20 times yesterday. Each time he commented on how 'awesome' and 'scary' it was.

Hopefully the movie will be screened for critics so you can get a better handle on exactly how intense it is beforehand.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

I've never been a big fan of Godzilla, but I am looking forward to this.

Can't be any worse than the Matthew Broderick movie, which I regrettably saw opening night because it was my birthday and I thought it'd be good.

Espy

Espy

I've never been a big fan of Godzilla, but I am looking forward to this.

Can't be any worse than the Matthew Broderick movie, which I regrettably saw opening night because it was my birthday and I thought it'd be good.
The bar is set pretty damn low. I mean, when Ferris Beuller can't save your movie… what hope is left?

evilmike

evilmike

New Trailer today

Espy

Espy

YESYESYESYESYESYESYES

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

They mention 1954 as the origin date, Bryan Cranston is speaking angrily, and HE ROARED! WILL SEE!

Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh

Will be there opening day for support. Bad or not.

Dave

Dave

I have held off commenting on this movie because of the last Godzilla reboot. But I must say that if this lives up to even half the hype it'll take all my money. All of it.

Gryfter

Gryfter

"Say it."

"Godzilla..."

"You're god damn right."

Tress

Tress

WOW.

:D

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Dat trailer.

Far

Far

I'm just glad that the trailers released so far do a lot to build things up but don't spoil every little plot point. They still have time to do that but I certainly hope they don't.

bhamv3

bhamv3

BWWWAAAAAAARRRRRR.

I thought we were over the Inception horn.

Still awesome trailer though.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Screen it and decide if it's too intense for him?

Espy

Espy

I want to make love to those trailers. They just tease me instead of telling me every story beat. THANK YOU.

Also: Imax (real imax, not that bullshit local theater fake imax) 3D for this guy!

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

Here's a new cover shot of Empire magazine with a better look at Godzilla.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

His face is ugly.

I approve.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Very nice, took a minute to adjust to the pink dealies in his mouth but it looks all right.

SO- the multi-legged monster in the trailer, whats everybody hoping it'll be? I'm hoping new monster, but there's also the chance it'll be a prevolved King Ghidorah. Nothin' wrong with King Ghidorah, just hope their giving someone else a chance.

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

Very nice, took a minute to adjust to the pink dealies in his mouth but it looks all right.

SO- the multi-legged monster in the trailer, whats everybody hoping it'll be? I'm hoping new monster, but there's also the chance it'll be a prevolved King Ghidorah. Nothin' wrong with King Ghidorah, just hope their giving someone else a chance.
I'd guess something related to King Ghidorah.

Actually, if I may, I think I have an idea of what the plot might be. It's just a theory, but here's my take:

Back in the 1950s, Godzilla is awoken and then temporarily put away through atomic bombs (the atomic tests in the Bikini Atoll). After this event, the U.S. and Japan become worried about what might happen if Godzilla were to return, so they work together to create a creature of their own to destroy Godzilla. The resulting creation, however, turns on them and Godzilla becomes an anti-heroic force to destroy the creation.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

That sounds like the kind of plot you'd get in the Heisei era of Godzilla movies. I don't think they'll do that when they want Godzilla to be a clear menace in this one.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

I'm hoping its one of those ancient suspended animation monsters, I love those.

bhamv3

bhamv3

I think it'd be hilarious if, during a conference to discuss responses to Godzilla's rampage, someone comes up with an idea to build giant robots to fight it. And then that guy is mercilessly mocked.

Covar

Covar

But if they were to use the bones of the original Godzilla for the robots own skeleton, it would be nearly as strong as the real thing!

Tress

Tress

They just need to build a really strong wall on the coasts. I'm sure Godzilla will never be able to break through.

Espy

Espy

They just need to build a really strong wall on the coasts. I'm sure Godzilla will never be able to break through.
BUT WAIT! What if that wall was made from… Adamentium???

giphy.gif

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

But if they were to use the bones of the original Godzilla for the robots own skeleton, it would be nearly as strong as the real thing!
Or build a time machine and replace Godzilla with three adorable Pokemon-ish creatures. That would solve the problem before it starts and have no repercussions.

drifter

drifter

BUT WAIT! What if that wall was made from… Adamentium???
Such a wall would surely be able to stand and deliver.

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

Amazing trailer! So pumped!
That sounds like the kind of plot you'd get in the Heisei era of Godzilla movies. I don't think they'll do that when they want Godzilla to be a clear menace in this one.
I think they are likely going for a revision of my favorite time in the Godzilla movies when he was not a "hero" per-say, but instead kept to himself until a monster appeared, at which point he would come out of the ocean and whip the crap out of it regardless of any collateral damage. That is what they mean by calling him an "Anti-Hero", he won't actively be out to destroy us (which would explain how he went nearly 60 years without a city getting razed, since they imply he was first noticed in the 1950s), but he will not give a crap about us when something bigger needs a skyscraper upside the head.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Or build a time machine and replace Godzilla with three adorable Pokemon-ish creatures. That would solve the problem before it starts and have no repercussions.
And when that doesn't work, go into the future and use its body that hasn't even decomposed a little and turn it into a fully functioning cyborg! And when that doesn't work, robot doppelganger! And when THAT doesn't work? A- NOTHER giant robot that has a a drill for a nose and can split into two vehicles because action figure.

evilmike

evilmike

International Trailer

We have already seen most of it, but there are a couple of new bits.

Bowielee

Bowielee

Amazing trailer! So pumped!

I think they are likely going for a revision of my favorite time in the Godzilla movies when he was not a "hero" per-say, but instead kept to himself until a monster appeared, at which point he would come out of the ocean and whip the crap out of it regardless of any collateral damage. That is what they mean by calling him an "Anti-Hero", he won't actively be out to destroy us (which would explain how he went nearly 60 years without a city getting razed, since they imply he was first noticed in the 1950s), but he will not give a crap about us when something bigger needs a skyscraper upside the head.
I think the way the Japanese look at monsters is wholely different from the way that western audiences do. It's reflected in their mythology with demons. They're more forces of nature that are just as likely to eat you as they are to help you out. For instance, the Kappa. The monsters in Japanese culture are more capricious in nature, like the Greek and Roman gods.

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

I think the way the Japanese look at monsters is wholely different from the way that western audiences do. It's reflected in their mythology with demons. They're more forces of nature that are just as likely to eat you as they are to help you out. For instance, the Kappa. The monsters in Japanese culture are more capricious in nature, like the Greek and Roman gods.
Pretty much right. I read some new interviews and that is what they are going for when they say Godzilla is not really good or evil, he is just like a giant, radioactive, scaly hurricane.

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

:heart: Be still my heart.

I love how some soldiers start shooting Godzilla from a roof and he just keeps going, "Fuck you guys, I got a giant mantis thing that needs to learn it's place."

Update : Damn, looks like they caught it. Will post another if I find it.

evilmike

evilmike

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

So there are at least two monsters besides Godzilla.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Wait, THAT's how you pronounce Muto? Sure fire ear opener. Cool looking monster though, can't wait to see the SMACKDOWN!

Tress

Tress

Looks like Rodan to me.

Makes me wonder if the other monster is going to be some version of Anguirus.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Looks like Rodan to me.

Makes me wonder if the other monster is going to be some version of Anguirus.
It's probably supposed to be inspired by Rodan, but the head reminds me more of Gyaos from the Gamera movies. As for the other monster that I've seen in international trailers, it had bug legs. If there's yet another monster that's similar to Anguirus, I'll be curious.

Having watched the two clips, I think I now have a better idea of what to expect from this. They're really going to do a Godzilla movie--not a horror Godzilla exactly, but an honest Godzilla movie, with all that implies, only on an A budget.

Only 10 days away. If my hours get reduced next week, I'm gonna see if I can do a midnight, though I'm not sure my local AMC will. If not, opening night it is.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

I'm more excited for this one than I am DoFP and ASM2 put together.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I'm more excited for this one than I am DoFP and ASM2 put together.
No one was excited about Amazing Spider-man 2 except Charlie.

But yeah, this is my big movie of the summer, and then there's still Days of Future Past, Dawn of the Planet of the Apes, and Guardians of the Galaxy to look forward to. Way better line-up than last summer.

bhamv3

bhamv3

It's probably supposed to be inspired by Rodan, but the head reminds me more of Gyaos from the Gamera movies. As for the other monster that I've seen in international trailers, it had bug legs. If there's yet another monster that's similar to Anguirus, I'll be curious.

Having watched the two clips, I think I now have a better idea of what to expect from this. They're really going to do a Godzilla movie--not a horror Godzilla exactly, but an honest Godzilla movie, with all that implies, only on an A budget.

Only 10 days away. If my hours get reduced next week, I'm gonna see if I can do a midnight, though I'm not sure my local AMC will. If not, opening night it is.
The Muto clip said something along the lines of "was terrestrial, but is now airborne". It's possible there's only one other Kaiju, Muto, and it started out walking on insectoid legs, but later sprouted wings and started swooping around.

Reminds me of Otachi.

Bowielee

Bowielee

PLEASE let there be a sequel with Mothra.

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

I think people are looking a bit much into MUTO. Based on the clip, MUTO means Massive Unidentified Terrestrial Organism, so it could be a classification they give to any large monster they don't know about, even Godzilla.

One thing that makes me curious is we now have scenes that show the monsters in Japan, Hawaii, and what I can only guess is Los Angeles. Godzilla might have to lay off the pies with all that traveling.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

PLEASE let there be a sequel with Mothra.
I hope it does well enough to warrant a sequel. It has plenty going in its favor that Pacific Rim didn't--a recognizable title, an iconic character, Bryan Cranston--but it's still a giant monster movie and I don't know how much audiences care about that when it's not dumb shit like Transformers.

Gryfter

Gryfter

I hope it does well enough to warrant a sequel. It has plenty going in its favor that Pacific Rim didn't--a recognizable title, an iconic character, Bryan Cranston--but it's still a giant monster movie and I don't know how much audiences care about that when it's not dumb shit like Transformers.
But this is about THE giant monster. Joe average probably doesn't know shit about Jaegers, but I bet you they have heard of Godzilla.

Bowielee

Bowielee

Isn't that the thing that played basketball with Charles Barkley at one point :p

Dei

Dei

Definitely taking my son to this on Saturday night, I kind of want to bring the whole family but I do not know how my 8 year old daughter will react to it. So if anyone was planning to bring a young child to this movie, let me know how it goes.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Definitely taking my son to this on Saturday night, I kind of want to bring the whole family but I do not know how my 8 year old daughter will react to it. So if anyone was planning to bring a young child to this movie, let me know how it goes.
I'm going Friday night to screen it for my little cousin, so will do.

evilmike

evilmike

Honest Movie Trailers has a few thoughts about the last American remake of Godzilla:

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Honest Movie Trailers has a few thoughts about the last American remake of Godzilla:
The way it's edited makes it look like the military is destroying NYC on purpose. :D

EDIT: "The network is on an internet." How the hell did I never catch that?! That's fucking great.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Fuck Friday, I got a ticket for an early screening tomorrow evening. Fuck yeah, Godzilla tomorrow night!

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

First off, taking kids depends on temperament. While there aren't any shots of blood and gore, there are people screaming for help just as they're dragged down a drop pounding on the window of a train. Also, if your kid is bothered by sudden loud noises, don't take them, because there are a few times where the movie goes near-silent, and then suddenly there's a loud pop of a jet exploding or a train crashing, etc. If your kid isn't bothered by those kinds of things, they should be okay. Most of the rest is fire, guns, chases, and crashing buildings AKA what you expect from a giant monster movie.

To Godzilla fans: the trailers suggest this is a Heisei Godzilla movie, when it's actually a Showa Godzilla movie, post-Ghidorah, The Three-Headed Monster.

Spoiler-free review: in 1999, a giant skeleton and odd pods are discovered in the Philippines. Meanwhile, odd seismic activity causes the destruction of a nuclear reactor in Japan, accompanied by a strange electromagnetic pulse. Jump ahead to 2014, Bryan Cranston detects the same pulse is happening again. Giant monsters ensue.

This is honestly a big-budget Toho movie--with all the cliches and tropes of good and bad that entails. Super-exposition scientists, the other monster taking up much of the screen time, ineffective military. The action is pretty solid throughout the movie. Lots of fires, building destruction. The non-Godzilla monsters really wreck shit and their presence is felt. My major complaint is that you could re-title this "Where's Godzilla?" because that's something I was asking internally through good portions of the movie. I think my expectations would've been in better check if this was titled "Godzilla vs. MUTO", except for one problem--the fights before the climax are brief. How brief?

As the first fight begins, we cut to someone watching the news where it shows the monsters. You see maybe 15 seconds of this fight. The second fight, as it's beginning, shelter doors close, and we see less than a minute.

Godzilla looks great. The way his jaw ripples back in a snarl just before he roars is a great expression. He looks like Godzilla too, if we want to throw in comparisons to that other movie. Perhaps the movie-makers wanted a less is more approach, because while it's disappointing that Godzilla isn't there as much as the MUTO, every time he's present is a great moment, whether he's fighting, roaring, or rising from the depths.

The score ranged from uninspired (single-note BWWWAAAA each time MUTO hits Godzilla in one scene) to annoying (pretty much the spastic main theme that's played more often than it needs to be). I hate to compare this to Pacific Rim, but that had a solid score.

I'm gonna do sectioned spoilers.

MUTO look
There are three points where the movie pretends we're getting Mothra--in the cave at the beginning, they're wearing the same protections suits as in Mothra and Godzilla vs. Mothra. Then the creature's trail looks like it could've been made by a giant larva. Last, there's an aquarium where some letters have fallen to make it look like the word Mothra is formed.

But it isn't Mothra. It's the Cloverfield monster. A Cloverfield that absorbs radiation and does EMP blasts, but the influence is really obvious.

MUTO sub-plot
As I said, the MUTO is the main monster ... both of them. There are two, a male and female, and honestly, some of this repeats the 1998 Godzilla, only with the MUTO instead of Godzilla.

Bryan Cranston
Delivers a good performance for the whole 25 minutes he's in the damn movie. I know he got top billing, but I'd have rather seen him as the star instead of his character's son.

I think I'll wait until more people see the movie to talk about the climax/end here, but those are my general thoughts. Good, but I wish I could've gone apeshit happy over it.

Espy

Espy

Man, I wish I could get to this soon but I just can't figure out a time to go :(

Covar

Covar

To Godzilla fans: the trailers suggest this is a Heisei Godzilla movie, when it's actually a Showa Godzilla movie, post-Ghidorah, The Three-Headed Monster.
That tells me a lot, good to know.

This is honestly a big-budget Toho movie--with all the cliches and tropes of good and bad that entails.
That's exactly what I wanted to hear. I'm going to definitely have to check it out soon now.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

That tells me a lot, good to know.
It's the kind of thing I wish I'd known going in; I would've adjusted my expectations and probably left a lot happier. Maybe I'll see it again with my cousin.

Also, this pretty much sums up Ken Watanabe's character:

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

Just to preface, my own experience with Godzilla has mostly been bits and pieces of the various movies. The only film of the Japanese Godzilla movies I've seen the entirety of is the very first one.

Now, I really liked this film. Though the script may have been a little weak, it ultimately delivered on its idea of a Godzilla movie. It features great action and the kind of giant monster battles that most people think of when they think Godzilla, but also offers a story and tone more serious like the very first film. Though Godzilla himself may not be in the film a lot, they deliver on the awe-inspiring power of him. Ultimately, I definitely recommend checking it out.

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

Now, I really liked this film. Though the script may have been a little weak, it ultimately delivered on its idea of a Godzilla movie. It features great action and the kind of giant monster battles that most people think of when they think Godzilla, but also offers a story and tone more serious like the very first film. Though Godzilla himself may not be in the film a lot, they deliver on the awe-inspiring power of him. Ultimately, I definitely recommend checking it out.
This is all I wanted.

Godzilla does not need to be in the movie the whole time. Half of the old TOHO movies I remember, Godzilla only shows up in the last half, if my brain is not going too fuzzy on the details. All I want is that when he does show up, he shows his raw power mixed with a healthy dose of destruction.

Man I hope I can see this movie soon.

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

This is all I wanted.

Godzilla does not need to be in the movie the whole time. Half of the old TOHO movies I remember, Godzilla only shows up in the last half, if my brain is not going too fuzzy on the details. All I want is that when he does show up, he shows his raw power mixed with a healthy dose of destruction.

You bet we see his raw power.

They even brought back the atomic breath.

LittleSin

LittleSin

My husband so it last night as a way to preview if Jet could see it.

Jury is still out but he doesn't like loud noises so it might be out for the big screen.

Blue seemed to flip his lid over it and now i am super jealous. Must see!

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

This is all I wanted.

Your brain's not going fuzzy, though your count is a little off. In Godzilla vs Gigan and Godzilla vs Megalon, he spent most of each movie swimming from Monster Island (good idea, Japan, provide him a distant home AFTER he joins your side). Terror of Mechagodzilla too, I believe. Which is why I said, if this had been titled Godzilla vs MUTO, I would've been more in the right mindset. Godzilla isn't really established in this movie--they hand wave his existence as a given and then move on.

Honestly, the problem would've been less noticeable if in this movie he hadn't been there, large as life, about to fight a monster ... and then we cut to a different scene. They do this twice. It's really asinine and instead of building suspense, it feels like bullshit. It'd be one thing if circumstances made it so that the fight didn't happen, but we know each of these fights happen--we see a glimpse and we see the aftermath--we just don't get to see the fights. When Ken Watanabe late in the movie says "Let them fight", my thought was "They've been fighting. You mean, let them fight in front of the camera."

It's a small thing, but it feels like the movie is taunting us as opposed to getting us geared for the big final battle. Even viewing it as I should, as one of the older Toho movies, they always let you see the mid-movie fight. It just felt like ass to have Godzilla make this dramatic entry, stand opposite of MUTO, and then ... cut to a kid watching them on TV. He sees more of it than we do.

tldr; the movie is fine, it's just improperly advertised and I would like to see it again in the right mindset. This stuff is me griping about the one thing I really didn't care for (besides the music).

Every moment where Godzilla is present is memorable. He really makes an impact, so I don't begrudge the film-makers using him sparingly. But don't jerk us around. The climax and ending are really something, but again, I don't want to type about them until more people have had a chance to see the movie.[DOUBLEPOST=1400271848,1400271462][/DOUBLEPOST]I keep forgetting to mention: there is a Kenny.

Covar

Covar

Do they not use any of the original theme?

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Do they not use any of the original theme?
Nope. Nor do they play the Blue Oyster Cult song. :p

But really, it's hard to top Akira Ifikube's work.

EDIT: Listening to Cinema Snob's Midnight Screening; they spend a bit of the review beginning tearing apart Godzilla's Revenge. Even as a kid, I hated that movie. It's the only one I refuse to watch anymore.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

"Godzilla doesn't just walk past a building and go BAM, knock it down for no reason."
"No, that's Superman's job."

:D

Frank

Frank

Real conversation I had with a friend coming out the movie. Slightly paraphrased of course. I didn't record it after all.

Friend: I just think it's really unrealistic how tough the other things were. They were so spindly.
Me: It's a Godzilla movie. They care nothing for mankind's puny weapons. Hell, they show them trying to nuke Godzilla directly in the 50's.
Friend: I get that Godzilla's tough, he's thick and his skin could be super tough. But those other things' legs were so skinny, you could just run at them with an ax and chop them down.
Me: And then what, it swipes you into paste?
Friend: I mean, if a tail swipe from Godzilla could pretty much take one out, a shotgun blast could do the same thing.

That's the point where I quit the argument.

Also

Watching Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver make out so much made me think I was watching Jeph Loeb Ultimates.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Real conversation I had with a friend coming out the movie. Slightly paraphrased of course. I didn't record it after all.

Friend: I just think it's really unrealistic how tough the other things were. They were so spindly.
Me: It's a Godzilla movie. They care nothing for mankind's puny weapons. Hell, they show them trying to nuke Godzilla directly in the 50's.
Friend: I get that Godzilla's tough, he's thick and his skin could be super tough. But those other things' legs were so skinny, you could just run at them with an ax and chop them down.
Me: And then what, it swipes you into paste?
Friend: I mean, if a tail swipe from Godzilla could pretty much take one out, a shotgun blast could do the same thing.

That's the point where I quit the argument.
what (as in exasperated disbelief)

Watching Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver make out so much made me think I was watching Jeph Loeb Ultimates.
what (as in confusion)

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

what (as in confusion)
Aaron Taylor-Johnson and Elizabeth Olsen (who play the main couple in Godzilla) will be Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch in Avengers: Age of Ultron.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Aaron Taylor-Johnson and Elizabeth Olsen (who play the main couple in Godzilla) will be Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch in Avengers: Age of Ultron.
I didn't recognize them from the Captain America 2 preview clip. That's ... yeah.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Sounds like they're practicing for their marvel roles.

Far

Far

@Zero Esc

Most of my issues with it mirror yours, particularly regarding getting taunted with potential fights. I don't want to see an intact city, cut away then back and have everything wrecked. I want to see that happening! By the time the climax fight occur I wasn't pumped to FINALLY be seeing it. I was pissed at having been ripped off so many times prior.

That said when it does get to it, it was an absolute marvel. Each scene before with Godzilla or the Muto sings but they feel too few and far between before the final half hour.

I understand the decision to keep things focused on the human cast, including the actual framing of shots, to give a sense of size and grandeur and to make it relatable to the audience, but I hated it here just as much as when it was done in transformers. I don't want to watch a movie about them. Stop showing them and the monsters feet.

This was my most anticipated summer film, aside from maybe Guardians of the Galaxy, so I don't think it could have ever lived up to what I was hoping for it to be and I wouldn't say I even disliked it but I was looking for more of a 50/50 of humans and monsters rather than what felt like a 75/25. The scenes with Godzilla and the Muto are stunning and powerful. I just wanted more of that.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I understand the decision to keep things focused on the human cast, including the actual framing of shots, to give a sense of size and grandeur and to make it relatable to the audience, but I hated it here just as much as when it was done in transformers. I don't want to watch a movie about them. Stop showing them and the monsters feet.
I forgot about that. Yeah, that was annoying. You could see the fight happening over their shoulders sometimes. And for the human plot ...

I was shaking my head when they dragged out Ford searching for his wife in the refugee area. Why give this screentime and try to garner suspense? No one cares. Not a single person watching this movie gave a shit as to whether he was reunited with his wife.

If you're not going to have a unique human character to take the lead, then you need that character played by someone with presence, which is why I think it would've made more sense for Bryan Cranston to actually play the lead, instead of the trailers just pretending he does.

The only time I really cared about Ford was when he and Godzilla went down at the same time and their eyes met. And I only cared because Godzilla was looking at him like "I know that feel, bro." I cared because Godzilla seemed to care, just a tiny bit.

The Heisei Gamera trilogy really set the bar for kaiju-to-human interaction. In the first movie, he has a psychic connection to the main girl that fuels his power. In the second movie, he and the military actually work together, since the military couldn't fight the big monster and Gamera couldn't fight the small ones. Then in the third movie, the villain monster is actually drawing its power off of a disturbed adolescent girl with a hate-on for Gamera. And Gamera still gets to be a main character. We can relate to non-verbal, non-human characters. It feels like film-makers completely forgot about the first third of Wall-E.[DOUBLEPOST=1400327580,1400327449][/DOUBLEPOST]
This was my most anticipated summer film, aside from maybe Guardians of the Galaxy, so I don't think it could have ever lived up to what I was hoping for it to be and I wouldn't say I even disliked it but I was looking for more of a 50/50 of humans and monsters rather than what felt like a 75/25. The scenes with Godzilla and the Muto are stunning and powerful. I just wanted more of that.
This is kind of where I am. I had set my hopes so high that they became ridiculous. I may bitch about the human ratio, but honestly I didn't expect any differently. It's a Godzilla movie, after all. It's not going to perfect the genre.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

This was my first Godzilla movie, and I was sufficiently horrified and awed. The lead actor wasn't very good, however. And the plot machinations to get him to have to disarm a bomb at the very end, only to spin around and throw everything up in the air, was just kind of silly.

I disagree with the arguments that there "wasn't enough monster fighting" and any complaints with the teases / cutaways from some of the extraneous monster action until that huge climax. It was done and set up perfectly.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

This was my first Godzilla movie, and I was sufficiently horrified and awed. The lead actor wasn't very good, however. And the plot machinations to get him to have to disarm a bomb at the very end, only to spin around and throw everything up in the air, was just kind of silly.
Yeah, whatever happened to

"We have no extraction plan."

Guess it doesn't count if you're a main character.

I really want to watch a Godzilla movie today. From what Netflix has, I should go for Monster Zero since I haven't seen it in forever and it's delightfully goofy, but I have a feeling I'll just dip back into Godzilla vs Mothra since it's one of my favorites.

Covar

Covar

I watched Godzilla vs. Mothra this morning, it's very good. My favorite Godzilla movies are still probably Godzilla x Mechagodzilla and Tokyo S.O.S.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I watched Godzilla vs. Mothra this morning, it's very good. My favorite Godzilla movies are still probably Godzilla x Mechagodzilla and Tokyo S.O.S.
There is no nonsense that can top the idea of building a robot around old Godzilla bones.

Tokyo SOS is the only Godzilla movie I haven't seen. It baffles me that they sell it as a 2-pack with Final Wars when it's a direct sequel to Godzilla X Mechagodzilla.

EDIT: And just found out that Gojira is on Amazon Prime--must watch it this weekend.

Covar

Covar

Hey, that plan was foolproof!

phil

phil

It's like they just kept forgetting that

The muto could do that EMP attack. Like first the train, later the big attack with jets and finally the boat. Like every time it happens they're just "wtf? Oh right"

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

It's like they just kept forgetting that

The muto could do that EMP attack. Like first the train, later the big attack with jets and finally the boat. Like every time it happens they're just "wtf? Oh right"
For all the military posturing this movie did, they sure made the military look dumb. Especially the big plan that took up half the movie.

"That won't work."
"We know it won't work, but we're going to try it anyway and watch it not work."

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Given how the weekend's going, we may well be on-track for a sequel.

phil

phil

I'm fine with that. I really enjoyed it despite its flaws. Maybe kiju will be the next movie trend.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I'm fine with that. I really enjoyed it despite its flaws. Maybe kiju will be the next movie trend.
Same here. Some of the flaws are just part and parcel for the kaiju genre.

If they're gonna stick with Godzilla as the hero, I want an alien invasion for the next movie. We had Godzilla vs Cloverfield, so let's do ... I don't know, Godzilla vs Independence Day or whatever. Modern take on aliens, with their own giant monster of course, fighting Godzilla.

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

If they're gonna stick with Godzilla as the hero, I want an alien invasion for the next movie. We had Godzilla vs Cloverfield, so let's do ... I don't know, Godzilla vs Independence Day or whatever. Modern take on aliens, with their own giant monster of course, fighting Godzilla.
So a sort of reverse Pacific Rim?

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I could go for that.

Frank

Frank

AWESOME.

I would be there opening day!

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

Is there legal means to see The Return of/1985 and vs. Biollante that folks are aware of? Biollante was the first one I actually saw in theaters, and I'm deeply emotionally attached to it.

Covar

Covar

Biollante is on Blu-ray pretty cheap.

Crackle also has several of the hesei and Millennium movies.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Is there legal means to see The Return of/1985 and vs. Biollante that folks are aware of? Biollante was the first one I actually saw in theaters, and I'm deeply emotionally attached to it.
Get a VCR.

I thought Toho was going to release a collection of all their Godzilla movies a couple years back. Maybe they did and it never made it out of Japan. In any case, Godzilla 1985 is available on VHS, so you're kind of out of luck for legal means, and vs Biollante is on a $6.99 DVD which has been out of stock on Amazon for a while, but I'm sure one of the secondhand sellers or someone on eBay would have it just as cheap.

As for me ...
WatchedGojira today. I knew most of the differences to the American version, AKA Perry Mason edit. For the most part, the original is better in every way, from conveying the situation to character activity, to making sense. Some problems though:
- The American edit did build more toward the final attack. I think that's just a difference in how Japanese and American filmmaking goes.
- "Two million years ago, brontosaurs and other dinosaurs lived in the Jurassic period, and later in the Cretacious period began living on land" OW, MY SCIENCE.
- The end zinger: "If we keep dropping nuclear bombs, there will be more monsters". Yeah, every monster movie from the 50s was doing this moral of the story at the end, but the movie had held itself to a higher caliber for the minutes prior. Honestly, a lot of the Professor Yamane stuff could've been tossed.

But the characterization really shines. Not just of the human characters, but of the sense of Japan. Some of the little touches are things you wouldn't see in an American monster movie at the time, such as a mention on the train about "going back in the shelters", or the geiger counter crackling over the children while the doctor has a look on his face, knowing these kids aren't going to make it. Everything with Dr. Serizawa in the conclusion was great. I don't think the shots of him with the knife were in the American edit.[DOUBLEPOST=1400442453,1400442373][/DOUBLEPOST]
Biollante is on Blu-ray pretty cheap.
I only see it for $40 on Amazon. Where are you looking?

Covar

Covar

I grabbed my copy a while ago in a retail store, maybe a year ago. It was less than $10 then.[DOUBLEPOST=1400442951,1400442742][/DOUBLEPOST]... And all the Godzilla movies are off crackle. Shame, but it's not a good service anyway.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I grabbed my copy a while ago in a retail store, maybe a year ago. It was less than $10.
You're right; Target has it for $7.79 right now.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Fuck yeah.

Also, that tally blows my mind. $93 million for U.S., then $10 million for the rest of the world. Are our theater prices that jacked or did we just see the movie more than any other country?

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

Fuck yeah.

Also, that tally blows my mind. $93 million for U.S., then $10 million for the rest of the world. Are our theater prices that jacked or did we just see the movie more than any other country?
Speaking from personal experience, our theater prices definitely aren't jacked compared to a lot of other countries like Switzerland and Japan, so I'm guessing fewer international screens so far.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Fuck yeah.

Why not tell us tickets sold? That would be a better indicator IMO. One screen with one seat at $200 million could be the #1 movie in the world if someone was willing to pay that price. :p

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Why not tell us tickets sold? That would be a better indicator IMO. One screen with one seat at $200 million could be the #1 movie in the world if someone was willing to pay that price. :p
Agreed; I think this is how movies should be ranked on those "top highest box office" lists as well. Compare tickets, not dollars that aren't adjusted for inflation.

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

Agreed; I think this is how movies should be ranked on those "top highest box office" lists as well. Compare tickets, not dollars that aren't adjusted for inflation.
Who would be keeping these stats?

Remember, the studios and the theaters don't care about how many tickets are sold, only how much money a movie makes them in a certain time frame. Thus why they keep stats on how much total, in dollars, they made, rather then how many butts were in those seats.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Who would be keeping these stats?

Remember, the studios and the theaters don't care about how many tickets are sold, only how much money a movie makes them in a certain time frame. Thus why they keep stats on how much total, in dollars, they made, rather then how many butts were in those seats.
I'm not saying it's feasible; I just mean it makes for a better comparison than with the ever-changing dollar and the range of pricing. I can see a movie here for a $9 on a Friday night. I've been to theaters in Queens that can cost more than twice that. I honestly don't know how they gauge what goes to who with theaters, studio, etc. I suppose I could ask my dad; he used to manage a theater.

I'd like to feel that this Godzilla actually did better than the 1998 one and that the difference isn't just due to 16 years of inflation.

evilmike

evilmike

Fuck yeah.

It's 93 million in the US plus 100 million overseas, not 103 million total. This is considered a good opening especially considering it hasn't opened in Japan or China yet.

http://boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=3845&p=.htm

Espy

Espy

I'm not saying it's feasible; I just mean it makes for a better comparison than with the ever-changing dollar and the range of pricing. I can see a movie here for a $9 on a Friday night. I've been to theaters in Queens that can cost more than twice that. I honestly don't know how they gauge what goes to who with theaters, studio, etc. I suppose I could ask my dad; he used to manage a theater.

I'd like to feel that this Godzilla actually did better than the 1998 one and that the difference isn't just due to 16 years of inflation.
That all may be true but the studios don't care. It's not about butts in the seat, it's about how much those butts paid. Hence how it's reported.

Bowielee

Bowielee

So, I went and saw it this weekend, and I mirror the above sentiments about the fight fakeouts. That really ticked me off. However, overall, I loved the movie and look forward to a sequel.

Adam

Adam

I actually was more entertained by the disaster parts of the movie than the monsters fighting part. Date enjoyed it although she admitted rooting for Godzilla to die the entire time until the 'twist' that he was the good guy.[DOUBLEPOST=1400599594,1400599199][/DOUBLEPOST]

Pfft, for two of us it was $36. I almost died (But it was Imax and 3d so I can understand the inflated purchase price)

Bowielee

Bowielee

Our theater in this area is going downhill fast. First of all, it's one of those huge ampitheater type of theaters and they don't have the cameras positioned properly for the bend of the screen so it is smooshed at the sides and cut off in a curve along the bottom. Got subtitles? Hope you didn't want to read 'em. Also, they apparently don't know how to turn on the house lights in that theater so people literally have to use their phones to find their way in the dark. To top it all off, when we went to see Godzilla, they forgot to turn on the projector for all the way through the previews. When they finally did, they left the light on in the projection booth, so you couldn't see the movie. This has been a common experience and it's really souring me on going to the movies lately.

Frank

Frank

That's dreadful.

Even the shittiest little theater I've been too (or spent most of teenage years inside, I miss you Village Tree) was never that bad.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

YES! THEY DIDN'T FUCK IT UP! Sure there could've been more monster fighting, but as far as reboots go this was great! And now I will be crossing my fingers for a Pacific Rim cross over.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Taking my cousins tomorrow night. I'm curious how two 11-year-olds will react.

Espy

Espy

Saw it last night, some thoughts an some spoilered, uh, spoilers:

1. Cranston. Awesome. The first 20-30 minutes where quite powerful. Then...

He died and the new lead actor and actress sucked. Seriously. They were awful.
The younger leads might be good actors (nothing here inferred it but that might not be their fault) but… I cared zero for them and I'm really disappointed that Gareth Edwards, who KNOWS how to do good character development, did such a shitty job of giving us likable or interesting leads. What a missed opportunity.
Of course, chances are that if we hadn't such a fantastic and powerful opening section with the great Bryan Cranston I might not have noticed that much, I know I wouldn't want to have to follow him.

3. It was a little more "rah-rah military guys!" than I would have liked. Or rather, "rah-rah military guy". I think part of what made "Monsters" work so well is you could identify with the "everyman" nature of the main characters and here we got Muscle guy (he's super smart and can disarm all the bombs!) and Model girl (she's a nurse! Medicine!) who didn't act so much as stare at things.

4. The fight teases. Loved them but got tired of Godzilla sized blue balls. GIMMMMMMMMEEEEEEEE GODZILLA!

5. The Final Battle. Whooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.

6. Godzilla! He killed that thing! Like that! Holy shit!

7. Ah, muscle guy found model girl! Yay! Turn actor settings to "happy emotions". THE END.

Adam

Adam

Haha, I got a good chuckle out of the stereotypical female protagonist being employed as a I sat there with an RN. We had a long discussion afterwards that it appears that the only jobs women can have in action films are nurses or teachers; and they'll always stay behind to help out.

Liv Tyler in Pearl Harbor
Bridget Moynahan in Sum of All Fears
Michelle Monaghan in Mission Impossible 3

Espy

Espy

She was pointless. The only reason her and her son were there was to "increase tension" about would the protagonist get to them. BUT NO ONE CARED BECAUSE NONE OF THEM WERE INTERESTING.

Adam

Adam

She was pointless. The only reason her and her son were there was to "increase tension" about would the protagonist get to them. BUT NO ONE CARED BECAUSE NONE OF THEM WERE INTERESTING.
Well, how about the asian kid on the train. That one was telegraphed from a mile away.

Espy

Espy

Well, how about the asian kid on the train. That one was telegraphed from a mile away.
Oh totally.

I will say this, that scene felt a lot more "real" than anything else with the main family. Mainly because, yeah, we've seen kids get separated like that. I had genuine sympathy for that kid but I still didn't give two shits about Muscle Army Bomb Detonator Man.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

That reunion scene is such an eye-roller. If that reunion scene hadn't been there, I wouldn't have noticed.

Monsters had good characters; I agree. Where their hands pull away from each other--that was only a gripping moment because we could identify and give a damn about the two leads. I'm wondering if the sequel will be as good since it also looks like a very "yay military" movie. I don't know if that's just where Edwards is going with his films now, but he should keep in mind that soldiers have personalities too.

Also, shit like "but I have family there." Yes, okay, let's override procedure and ignore the rules because unlike everyone else, you have family there. No one else has family except you. Please, Family Man, by all means, do whatever you want. On the other hand, I can laugh at shit like that, and for most Godzilla movies, I laugh at a lot of things.

Espy

Espy

To be fair, Edwards didn't write Godzilla. It's a pretty paint by the numbers generic action story so I suspect he did the best with it he can. I'm hoping he has more influence over the story of the second one.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

My big bitch about the movie is how they drug the rocket engines around when all they needed was the warhead. Also why the fuck did the rocket fuel not ignite when the creatures bit into the fuel tanks?

Dave

Dave

Just saw it. Was more underwhelmed than I'd have liked to be. Indestructible hero alert! But what really killed me was that the movie started at 7:30, was 2 hours 3 minutes long and by 9:15 there was no Godzilla fight yet. I mean come on!

I actually prefer Pacific Rim because it delivered what it promised.

Just Me

Just Me

Haha, I got a good chuckle out of the stereotypical female protagonist being employed as a I sat there with an RN. We had a long discussion afterwards that it appears that the only jobs women can have in action films are nurses or teachers; and they'll always stay behind to help out.

Kate Beckinsale Liv Tyler in Pearl Harbor
Liv Tyler kind of nursed Frodo in LotR though :)

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Saw it again last night with my cousins and I had a much better time despite a worse audience (cell phones, flashlights, a guy snoring loudly--their area sucks). Now that I've watched it without being in "Where's Godzilla?" mode, it comes off as a better film, though still with the hang-ups of other stuff discussed in the thread. The animation is fantastic; I was able to appreciate it even more now. Godzilla's expressions come off as those of a Pixar character, lots of subtlties and emotion, but wrapped in the details of a live-action movie's CGI as opposed to Pixar CGI. Also noticed a bit more wear and tear on the monsters' bodies.

The kids loved the hell out of it. They must've gone on about it to one of their moms for an hour after it was over.

After the movie, there was a conversation.

Me: "Should've kept the guy's dad as the main character."
Boy cousin: "Yeah."
Girl cousin: "He was okay."
Me: "He wasn't really interesting."
Girl cousin: "But he was cute."

Ah, Legendary, now I see what you did there.

EDIT: Also, woman in front of us starting crying during one of the moments where it seems the Big G has bit the dust.

Espy

Espy

Yeah, they really made a HUGE mistake by not making Cranston the main character. They better hope he doesn't come knocking for them.

Jay

Jay

Watched this last night... UGH.... sadly, a mediocre film at best.

I didn't check any reviews/critics of the movie and it was a "birthday gift" movie opportunity with a bro.

It started pretty well with the initial 30 minute setup being what I felt... the BEST part of the movie.

Then Cranston dies.

Wait? What??? The lead actor... dies not even 1/4 into the movie?

Who'll take up the lead? Aaron Two Last Names? Ok, he was decent in Kick-Ass but... WOW... what a HUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGE drop off in talent.

"I'm a bomb disarmer"

What a fucking coincidence.

RIGHT?

RIGHTTTTTTTTTTTT?????????

I went from making jokes with my buddy at the beginning in the movie "he's talking to Jesse on the phone" to... this guy can't act for shit. Is he even trying? What the fuck is with all those long lost distant looks on his face?

Then the build-up kept going on and on and on and on. Ken Watanabe is a solid actor but he had pretty much fucking nothing to work with. Holy shit, I was bored and mildly pissed they killed off Cranston minutes after performing that amazing bit in the office.

Then of course.... the young guy... who literally shrugs off his dad's death and is stuck on the OTHER SIDE OF THE PLANET and "can't wait to get home". Dude, CALL THEM. Of course, wife who's BEGGING TO HEAR FROM HER HUSBAND has her phone in the other room... ON VIBRATE.

FUCK OFF OLSEN DEMON SPAWN.

Then the carnage starts happening.

FUCK YIIIIIIIIIIS.

AW SHIT GAWDZILLAAAAAAAH.

....and we're watching highlights on TV.

... WHAT?

CGI destruction of Honolulu.

WHAT THE FUCK

You... just made me watch an awesome actor die and I'm watching this sad sack act in this weak blockbuster film... and you ROB me a fight.

Movie goes on.

What time is it?

Why the fuck is an aircraft carrier about 300 feet from Godzilla as it swims across the Atlantic? Did they forget they have other ships that can do that? Seriously... this is terrible.

Another monster appears.

I feel slightly better about that... 2 on 1 against GAWDZILLLAAAAAAAAAAH

Does anyone else love the way Ken says GAWDZILLLLLLLLLLLLLLAHHHHHHHHH?

More Olsen bullshit. Ya ya.... I'll let my son on a random bus while I stay behind like a FUCKING IDIOT for a husband I didn't hear of in over a day who was on the other side of the planet too.

IDIOT.

He must have had a huge D.

Fight is about to happen... AWWW SHIT... They are facing off again!

ROUND 2 BABY!!!!!!

And pan out to Olsen hiding in some type of vault... and the fight isn't shown.

WHAT THE FUCK

Why am I even watching this movie?

Is this real life?

Seriously....

WHAT THE FUCK

FUCK YOUUUUUUUU

Holding onto the edge of my seat.

I'm genuinely pissed at this point.

Honest to god.

More hammy acting.

I can't take this anymore.

Why did Crantson have to die? Can I join him?

Right now, I'm thinking about Batman & Robin... the last movie I walked out of the theater of.

FINALLY

Some fighting.

EXCELLENT.

More hammy acting.

The CGI and fight is sweet but still didn't save the movie.

All in all, a weak script and terrible acting with characters I didn't a shit about after... the incident.

The 90ies movie wasn't great but all in all, it was a better film without the awesome CGI we got today.

IMHO? Avoid it watch it when it comes on Netflix/Movie Network.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Why did Crantson have to die? Can I join him?
I am laughing in an out loud persuasion.

LittleSin

LittleSin

Man...I loved it. Beginning to end.

:(

Espy

Espy

I liked it quite a bit, I just wish they had given us some reason I care for the boring lead characters. MONSTERS is a far superior film. Godzilla was far more fun though and I'm hoping Edwards gets more control over the script in the sequel.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I would've been happier with either:

A. Better characters, same amount of monsters.

or

B. Less screen time for boring characters, more screen time for Godzilla.

Even having an actor with some presence will get you a better character just because actors have nuances when they've been doing it long enough that can lend dimension even over a script's failures.

Imagine Aaron Taylor Johnson as the nuclear reactor manager at the beginning. The scene where the character's wife dies probably would've felt weaker. Meanwhile, imagine Cranston telling the military that he's the one qualified to disarm the bomb; after watching Breaking Bad, I could see him putting in a stronger performance than Johnson.

Not that Johnson and Olsen are bad actors; they just need the right material. I'm sure they'll do fine in Avengers 2, which will probably have a stronger script. But as far as using acting power to uplift a dull script, the movie traded down in terms of actors as married couples.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I'm trying to watch Terror of Mechagodzilla, but Netflix has the Classic Media DVD release, which sucks. It's presented in widescreen, but the way they do it is by slapping black bars over the existing film, so the top of Godzilla's head is blocked out. The pan-and-scan version I watched on TNT Monster Vision was better than this. That said, it's not a movie I'm inclined to purchase, even if it does make more sense when the Japanese version doesn't cut out the suicide that was censored from American versions.

I like how when they're recapping the 1974 Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla, when Godzilla scraps away some of Mechagodzilla's decoy skin, he has a look on his face like "Huh. That's not me after all."

Presented by the Mechagodzilla Company. Really.

I remember as a little kid being upset when Mechagodzilla in disguise fights Anguirus. I'd just watched Godzilla vs Gigan where they were buddies, and when I thought Anguirus would think his friend had kicked the shit out of him for no reason.

BUT that's a different Godzilla movie and I can't watch that either, or the eternal King Seesar song. But I have it on my iPod.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

... and Mechagodzilla's body spread across the waves like twinkling cherry blossoms ...

I love how the bad guy aliens in these movies always use the same shades even when they're from different planets, even star systems.

How DARE Professor Mafuni suggest there was a giant monster living in the sea. HAH! What a quack!

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Trying to watch King Kong vs Godzilla through ... means ... but fucking hell the American edit is atrocious. The main characters do an Abbot and Costello shtick, the frequent American actor interruptions feel the need to not only narrate the movie, but then forget their continuity. "How could a dinosaur stay trapped in an iceberg for over 100 million years?" You fuckers just trapped him in there a few years ago in Godzilla Raids Again. Fucking hell.

The interruptions are worse than watching a movie on Sci-Fi channel.

Think I'm gonna give up.

Covar

Covar

Those first several american adaptations are rough. It's bad enough that you're already dealing with a very different style of movie from something made stateside, but then you get the american studios going over and narrating everything as it happens.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Those first several american adaptations are rough. It's bad enough that you're already dealing with a very different style of movie from something made stateside, but then you get the american studios going over and narrating everything as it happens.
On other hand, I might've been okay with it if they replaced the stupid advertising subplot with the American-made Roger Corman-style stupid science. But having them narrate, and then also show the idiot plot, is really tiring and lengthens the movie beyond where it should be.

Godzilla vs Mothra seemed to get through largely okay. After Nick Adams appeared in Monster Zero, they seemed to just let the movies be what they were.[DOUBLEPOST=1401403601,1401403349][/DOUBLEPOST]I did give up on it, but I'll jump in later when my wife goes to bed. At 40 minutes, I've gotten through the worst of it and the remaining 50 minutes is where a lot of the monster stuff is.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

FYE was having a sale and I just came home with 11 Godzilla movies. No Showa, but I have all of the Heisei and Millennium series except for the first of each--which is fine, because I don't want them.

Now I just need the Showa movies I like, Godzilla vs Mothra, Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla, and Terror of Mechagodzilla, and I'm all set.

Covar

Covar

FYE was having a sale and I just came home with 11 Godzilla movies. No Showa, but I have all of the Heisei and Millennium series except for the first of each--which is fine, because I don't want them.

Now I just need the Showa movies I like, Godzilla vs Mothra, Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla, and Terror of Mechagodzilla, and I'm all set.
The Godzilla 2000 dub is pretty fun. I think I need to take a trip to the mall today.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

The Godzilla 2000 dub is pretty fun. I think I need to take a trip to the mall today.
It is funny, but I just don't care for that movie. I don't care for Megaguirus either, but it was in a 2-pack with Destoroyah, and I wasn't skipping that, especially with a cleaned-up Blu Ray print.

Covar

Covar

The fight in Godzilla 2000 just bored me. I thought the rest of the movie was pretty good. I think my big mistake was watching it after X Mechagodzilla and Tokyo S.O.S.

I honestly can't remember anything about Megaguirus except that some of the effects were pretty disgusting for a Kaiju film.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

The fight in Godzilla 2000 just bored me. I thought the rest of the movie was pretty good. I think my big mistake was watching it after X Mechagodzilla and Tokyo S.O.S.

I honestly can't remember anything about Megaguirus except that some of the effects were pretty disgusting for a Kaiju film.
I watched them in order (except Tokyo SOS; haven't seen it, but I'll watch it after X Mechagodzilla today) and Godzilla 2000 was still kind of dull. There's a great shot of their vehicle driving in the foreground while Godzilla moves in the background in the same direction--that shot felt epic. Otherwise, I didn't think the whole "random UFO terrorizes Japan" thing was that great. If it had been humanoid aliens inside, or if it had turned into Orga earlier, it would've had some personality and maybe I'd have been more entertained. But I was just bored, waiting for the fight to finally happen, and then like you said, that was a disappointment.

I don't remember much of Megagurius either--not a good sign if both of us Godzilla enthusiasts are blanking on the same movie :p. I remember the Japanese military had created a black hole gun to deal with Godzilla, which should set off alarm bells in anyone's head that this is a fucking bad idea. Honestly, I remember Megaguirus more from the Wii Godzilla game than from the movie. But I will watch it and maybe I'll find it more appealing.

Dammit, the 1974 Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla DVD is out of print and people are selling it for ridiculous prices. Hopefully it'll get a re-release at some point, but I have a feeling the American distribution rights are being held by someone apart from most of the other movies. I'm thankful to Sony for getting so many Blu Ray releases out for the more recent movies. Watching Final Wars with my wife is going to be a blast--it's pretty much the only Godzilla movie I think she'll enjoy.

Covar

Covar

I don't remember much of Megagurius either--not a good sign if both of us Godzilla enthusiasts are blanking on the same movie :p. I remember the Japanese military had created a black hole gun to deal with Godzilla, which should set off alarm bells in anyone's head that this is a fucking bad idea.
Hey now!

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Godzilla X Mechagodzilla

Girl wishing on a plant for the return of a loved one ... kid's in the wrong Godzilla movie.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Godzilla Tokyo SOS

At last! The only Godzilla movie I haven't seen.

I'm loving this movie within the first couple minutes.

Pilot: "You are violating Japanese airspace."
Mothra: "I'm a a giant magical moth. Your argument is invalid."

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Man of Steel spoilers: