Godzilla: KING OF MONSTERS

But seriously. Is anyone else crazy excited for the new Godzilla movie. I was kind of in the 'well, that's cool' side of things until I heard that there will be other monsters for him to fight in it. He won't be treated as a misunderstood hero or undisputed villain but more of an anti-hero.

And he won't be facing off against the military like in the 1998 travesty.

I am pumped. Pacific Rim reignited my deep passion for kaiju movies in a big way. I really hope it does well because Del Toro said he would love to do a Pacific Rim cross over with Godzilla. It's as if the man lives in my heart.

I just...please be good, Godzilla-2014. Please.

To think a resin coated leather glove going against a bass string could go such a long way.

I have been waiting for this movie since it was originally called "Godzilla 3-D to the Max" so yeah I'm excited. PLEASE be good, and bring forth the new age of kaiju films!

And yes Godzilla, versus Pacific Rim would be AWESOME! Any good kaiju film deserves a sequel where they fight Godzilla, that is the rule.

But seriously. Is anyone else crazy excited for the new Godzilla movie.
FUCK YES.

In a year with some awesome summer releases (Guardians of the Galaxy, Dawn of the Planet of the Apes), this is my big movie. I've adored Godzilla in my earliest memories as a 2 year old watching Godzilla vs Megalon. I can't wait to see this and I hope, hope, hope it's good.

I took the poster from work as soon as we got it in, one of several copies. Damn beautiful. Very excited.

Not being a Toho production I'm far less interested than I normally would. Having said that, nothing I've seen about it says it will be terrible so I'm just going to be cautiously aware, and probably go see it if it gets decent reviews (not necissarily critical aclaim, just "if you like Godzilla you should check it out" reviews).

I'm a little bit sad, though.

Jet loves Godzilla movies. He loved Pacific Rim, well, after the brother died and he stopped crying (I felt like an expert parent that time, I tell ya.) and he knows this movie is being released on his birthday.

Except I get the feeling it will be way too intense to take a new 5 year old too. :S

He literally made me replay that roar 20 times yesterday. Each time he commented on how 'awesome' and 'scary' it was.

I'm going to have to break his little heart, ain't I?

Jet loves Godzilla movies. He loved Pacific Rim, well, after the brother died and he stopped crying (I felt like an expert parent that time, I tell ya.) and he knows this movie is being released on his birthday.

Except I get the feeling it will be way too intense to take a new 5 year old too. :S

He literally made me replay that roar 20 times yesterday. Each time he commented on how 'awesome' and 'scary' it was.

Hopefully the movie will be screened for critics so you can get a better handle on exactly how intense it is beforehand.

I've never been a big fan of Godzilla, but I am looking forward to this.

Can't be any worse than the Matthew Broderick movie, which I regrettably saw opening night because it was my birthday and I thought it'd be good.

I've never been a big fan of Godzilla, but I am looking forward to this.

Can't be any worse than the Matthew Broderick movie, which I regrettably saw opening night because it was my birthday and I thought it'd be good.
The bar is set pretty damn low. I mean, when Ferris Beuller can't save your movie… what hope is left?

Dave

Staff member
I have held off commenting on this movie because of the last Godzilla reboot. But I must say that if this lives up to even half the hype it'll take all my money. All of it.

I'm just glad that the trailers released so far do a lot to build things up but don't spoil every little plot point. They still have time to do that but I certainly hope they don't.

Screen it and decide if it's too intense for him?

I want to make love to those trailers. They just tease me instead of telling me every story beat. THANK YOU.

Also: Imax (real imax, not that bullshit local theater fake imax) 3D for this guy!

Very nice, took a minute to adjust to the pink dealies in his mouth but it looks all right.

SO- the multi-legged monster in the trailer, whats everybody hoping it'll be? I'm hoping new monster, but there's also the chance it'll be a prevolved King Ghidorah. Nothin' wrong with King Ghidorah, just hope their giving someone else a chance.

Very nice, took a minute to adjust to the pink dealies in his mouth but it looks all right.

SO- the multi-legged monster in the trailer, whats everybody hoping it'll be? I'm hoping new monster, but there's also the chance it'll be a prevolved King Ghidorah. Nothin' wrong with King Ghidorah, just hope their giving someone else a chance.
I'd guess something related to King Ghidorah.

Actually, if I may, I think I have an idea of what the plot might be. It's just a theory, but here's my take:

Back in the 1950s, Godzilla is awoken and then temporarily put away through atomic bombs (the atomic tests in the Bikini Atoll). After this event, the U.S. and Japan become worried about what might happen if Godzilla were to return, so they work together to create a creature of their own to destroy Godzilla. The resulting creation, however, turns on them and Godzilla becomes an anti-heroic force to destroy the creation.

That sounds like the kind of plot you'd get in the Heisei era of Godzilla movies. I don't think they'll do that when they want Godzilla to be a clear menace in this one.

I think it'd be hilarious if, during a conference to discuss responses to Godzilla's rampage, someone comes up with an idea to build giant robots to fight it. And then that guy is mercilessly mocked.