Godzilla: KING OF MONSTERS

But if they were to use the bones of the original Godzilla for the robots own skeleton, it would be nearly as strong as the real thing!

They just need to build a really strong wall on the coasts. I'm sure Godzilla will never be able to break through.

But if they were to use the bones of the original Godzilla for the robots own skeleton, it would be nearly as strong as the real thing!
Or build a time machine and replace Godzilla with three adorable Pokemon-ish creatures. That would solve the problem before it starts and have no repercussions.

Amazing trailer! So pumped!
That sounds like the kind of plot you'd get in the Heisei era of Godzilla movies. I don't think they'll do that when they want Godzilla to be a clear menace in this one.
I think they are likely going for a revision of my favorite time in the Godzilla movies when he was not a "hero" per-say, but instead kept to himself until a monster appeared, at which point he would come out of the ocean and whip the crap out of it regardless of any collateral damage. That is what they mean by calling him an "Anti-Hero", he won't actively be out to destroy us (which would explain how he went nearly 60 years without a city getting razed, since they imply he was first noticed in the 1950s), but he will not give a crap about us when something bigger needs a skyscraper upside the head.

Or build a time machine and replace Godzilla with three adorable Pokemon-ish creatures. That would solve the problem before it starts and have no repercussions.
And when that doesn't work, go into the future and use its body that hasn't even decomposed a little and turn it into a fully functioning cyborg! And when that doesn't work, robot doppelganger! And when THAT doesn't work? A- NOTHER giant robot that has a a drill for a nose and can split into two vehicles because action figure.

Amazing trailer! So pumped!

I think they are likely going for a revision of my favorite time in the Godzilla movies when he was not a "hero" per-say, but instead kept to himself until a monster appeared, at which point he would come out of the ocean and whip the crap out of it regardless of any collateral damage. That is what they mean by calling him an "Anti-Hero", he won't actively be out to destroy us (which would explain how he went nearly 60 years without a city getting razed, since they imply he was first noticed in the 1950s), but he will not give a crap about us when something bigger needs a skyscraper upside the head.
I think the way the Japanese look at monsters is wholely different from the way that western audiences do. It's reflected in their mythology with demons. They're more forces of nature that are just as likely to eat you as they are to help you out. For instance, the Kappa. The monsters in Japanese culture are more capricious in nature, like the Greek and Roman gods.

I think the way the Japanese look at monsters is wholely different from the way that western audiences do. It's reflected in their mythology with demons. They're more forces of nature that are just as likely to eat you as they are to help you out. For instance, the Kappa. The monsters in Japanese culture are more capricious in nature, like the Greek and Roman gods.
Pretty much right. I read some new interviews and that is what they are going for when they say Godzilla is not really good or evil, he is just like a giant, radioactive, scaly hurricane.

:heart: Be still my heart.

I love how some soldiers start shooting Godzilla from a roof and he just keeps going, "Fuck you guys, I got a giant mantis thing that needs to learn it's place."

Update : Damn, looks like they caught it. Will post another if I find it.

Last edited:
Looks like Rodan to me.

Makes me wonder if the other monster is going to be some version of Anguirus.
It's probably supposed to be inspired by Rodan, but the head reminds me more of Gyaos from the Gamera movies. As for the other monster that I've seen in international trailers, it had bug legs. If there's yet another monster that's similar to Anguirus, I'll be curious.

Having watched the two clips, I think I now have a better idea of what to expect from this. They're really going to do a Godzilla movie--not a horror Godzilla exactly, but an honest Godzilla movie, with all that implies, only on an A budget.

Only 10 days away. If my hours get reduced next week, I'm gonna see if I can do a midnight, though I'm not sure my local AMC will. If not, opening night it is.

I'm more excited for this one than I am DoFP and ASM2 put together.
No one was excited about Amazing Spider-man 2 except Charlie.

But yeah, this is my big movie of the summer, and then there's still Days of Future Past, Dawn of the Planet of the Apes, and Guardians of the Galaxy to look forward to. Way better line-up than last summer.

It's probably supposed to be inspired by Rodan, but the head reminds me more of Gyaos from the Gamera movies. As for the other monster that I've seen in international trailers, it had bug legs. If there's yet another monster that's similar to Anguirus, I'll be curious.

Having watched the two clips, I think I now have a better idea of what to expect from this. They're really going to do a Godzilla movie--not a horror Godzilla exactly, but an honest Godzilla movie, with all that implies, only on an A budget.

Only 10 days away. If my hours get reduced next week, I'm gonna see if I can do a midnight, though I'm not sure my local AMC will. If not, opening night it is.
The Muto clip said something along the lines of "was terrestrial, but is now airborne". It's possible there's only one other Kaiju, Muto, and it started out walking on insectoid legs, but later sprouted wings and started swooping around.

Reminds me of Otachi.

I think people are looking a bit much into MUTO. Based on the clip, MUTO means Massive Unidentified Terrestrial Organism, so it could be a classification they give to any large monster they don't know about, even Godzilla.

One thing that makes me curious is we now have scenes that show the monsters in Japan, Hawaii, and what I can only guess is Los Angeles. Godzilla might have to lay off the pies with all that traveling.

PLEASE let there be a sequel with Mothra.
I hope it does well enough to warrant a sequel. It has plenty going in its favor that Pacific Rim didn't--a recognizable title, an iconic character, Bryan Cranston--but it's still a giant monster movie and I don't know how much audiences care about that when it's not dumb shit like Transformers.

I hope it does well enough to warrant a sequel. It has plenty going in its favor that Pacific Rim didn't--a recognizable title, an iconic character, Bryan Cranston--but it's still a giant monster movie and I don't know how much audiences care about that when it's not dumb shit like Transformers.
But this is about THE giant monster. Joe average probably doesn't know shit about Jaegers, but I bet you they have heard of Godzilla.

Definitely taking my son to this on Saturday night, I kind of want to bring the whole family but I do not know how my 8 year old daughter will react to it. So if anyone was planning to bring a young child to this movie, let me know how it goes.

Definitely taking my son to this on Saturday night, I kind of want to bring the whole family but I do not know how my 8 year old daughter will react to it. So if anyone was planning to bring a young child to this movie, let me know how it goes.
I'm going Friday night to screen it for my little cousin, so will do.

Honest Movie Trailers has a few thoughts about the last American remake of Godzilla:
The way it's edited makes it look like the military is destroying NYC on purpose. :D

EDIT: "The network is on an internet." How the hell did I never catch that?! That's fucking great.

Last edited:
First off, taking kids depends on temperament. While there aren't any shots of blood and gore, there are people screaming for help just as they're dragged down a drop pounding on the window of a train. Also, if your kid is bothered by sudden loud noises, don't take them, because there are a few times where the movie goes near-silent, and then suddenly there's a loud pop of a jet exploding or a train crashing, etc. If your kid isn't bothered by those kinds of things, they should be okay. Most of the rest is fire, guns, chases, and crashing buildings AKA what you expect from a giant monster movie.

To Godzilla fans: the trailers suggest this is a Heisei Godzilla movie, when it's actually a Showa Godzilla movie, post-Ghidorah, The Three-Headed Monster.

Spoiler-free review: in 1999, a giant skeleton and odd pods are discovered in the Philippines. Meanwhile, odd seismic activity causes the destruction of a nuclear reactor in Japan, accompanied by a strange electromagnetic pulse. Jump ahead to 2014, Bryan Cranston detects the same pulse is happening again. Giant monsters ensue.

This is honestly a big-budget Toho movie--with all the cliches and tropes of good and bad that entails. Super-exposition scientists, the other monster taking up much of the screen time, ineffective military. The action is pretty solid throughout the movie. Lots of fires, building destruction. The non-Godzilla monsters really wreck shit and their presence is felt. My major complaint is that you could re-title this "Where's Godzilla?" because that's something I was asking internally through good portions of the movie. I think my expectations would've been in better check if this was titled "Godzilla vs. MUTO", except for one problem--the fights before the climax are brief. How brief?

As the first fight begins, we cut to someone watching the news where it shows the monsters. You see maybe 15 seconds of this fight. The second fight, as it's beginning, shelter doors close, and we see less than a minute.

Godzilla looks great. The way his jaw ripples back in a snarl just before he roars is a great expression. He looks like Godzilla too, if we want to throw in comparisons to that other movie. Perhaps the movie-makers wanted a less is more approach, because while it's disappointing that Godzilla isn't there as much as the MUTO, every time he's present is a great moment, whether he's fighting, roaring, or rising from the depths.

The score ranged from uninspired (single-note BWWWAAAA each time MUTO hits Godzilla in one scene) to annoying (pretty much the spastic main theme that's played more often than it needs to be). I hate to compare this to Pacific Rim, but that had a solid score.

I'm gonna do sectioned spoilers.

MUTO look
There are three points where the movie pretends we're getting Mothra--in the cave at the beginning, they're wearing the same protections suits as in Mothra and Godzilla vs. Mothra. Then the creature's trail looks like it could've been made by a giant larva. Last, there's an aquarium where some letters have fallen to make it look like the word Mothra is formed.

But it isn't Mothra. It's the Cloverfield monster. A Cloverfield that absorbs radiation and does EMP blasts, but the influence is really obvious.

MUTO sub-plot
As I said, the MUTO is the main monster ... both of them. There are two, a male and female, and honestly, some of this repeats the 1998 Godzilla, only with the MUTO instead of Godzilla.

Bryan Cranston
Delivers a good performance for the whole 25 minutes he's in the damn movie. I know he got top billing, but I'd have rather seen him as the star instead of his character's son.

I think I'll wait until more people see the movie to talk about the climax/end here, but those are my general thoughts. Good, but I wish I could've gone apeshit happy over it.

Last edited:
To Godzilla fans: the trailers suggest this is a Heisei Godzilla movie, when it's actually a Showa Godzilla movie, post-Ghidorah, The Three-Headed Monster.
That tells me a lot, good to know.

This is honestly a big-budget Toho movie--with all the cliches and tropes of good and bad that entails.
That's exactly what I wanted to hear. I'm going to definitely have to check it out soon now.

That tells me a lot, good to know.
It's the kind of thing I wish I'd known going in; I would've adjusted my expectations and probably left a lot happier. Maybe I'll see it again with my cousin.

Also, this pretty much sums up Ken Watanabe's character:

Just to preface, my own experience with Godzilla has mostly been bits and pieces of the various movies. The only film of the Japanese Godzilla movies I've seen the entirety of is the very first one.

Now, I really liked this film. Though the script may have been a little weak, it ultimately delivered on its idea of a Godzilla movie. It features great action and the kind of giant monster battles that most people think of when they think Godzilla, but also offers a story and tone more serious like the very first film. Though Godzilla himself may not be in the film a lot, they deliver on the awe-inspiring power of him. Ultimately, I definitely recommend checking it out.

Now, I really liked this film. Though the script may have been a little weak, it ultimately delivered on its idea of a Godzilla movie. It features great action and the kind of giant monster battles that most people think of when they think Godzilla, but also offers a story and tone more serious like the very first film. Though Godzilla himself may not be in the film a lot, they deliver on the awe-inspiring power of him. Ultimately, I definitely recommend checking it out.
This is all I wanted.

Godzilla does not need to be in the movie the whole time. Half of the old TOHO movies I remember, Godzilla only shows up in the last half, if my brain is not going too fuzzy on the details. All I want is that when he does show up, he shows his raw power mixed with a healthy dose of destruction.

Man I hope I can see this movie soon.