Godzilla: KING OF MONSTERS

Why not tell us tickets sold? That would be a better indicator IMO. One screen with one seat at $200 million could be the #1 movie in the world if someone was willing to pay that price. :p
Agreed; I think this is how movies should be ranked on those "top highest box office" lists as well. Compare tickets, not dollars that aren't adjusted for inflation.

Agreed; I think this is how movies should be ranked on those "top highest box office" lists as well. Compare tickets, not dollars that aren't adjusted for inflation.
Who would be keeping these stats?

Remember, the studios and the theaters don't care about how many tickets are sold, only how much money a movie makes them in a certain time frame. Thus why they keep stats on how much total, in dollars, they made, rather then how many butts were in those seats.

Who would be keeping these stats?

Remember, the studios and the theaters don't care about how many tickets are sold, only how much money a movie makes them in a certain time frame. Thus why they keep stats on how much total, in dollars, they made, rather then how many butts were in those seats.
I'm not saying it's feasible; I just mean it makes for a better comparison than with the ever-changing dollar and the range of pricing. I can see a movie here for a $9 on a Friday night. I've been to theaters in Queens that can cost more than twice that. I honestly don't know how they gauge what goes to who with theaters, studio, etc. I suppose I could ask my dad; he used to manage a theater.

I'd like to feel that this Godzilla actually did better than the 1998 one and that the difference isn't just due to 16 years of inflation.

I'm not saying it's feasible; I just mean it makes for a better comparison than with the ever-changing dollar and the range of pricing. I can see a movie here for a $9 on a Friday night. I've been to theaters in Queens that can cost more than twice that. I honestly don't know how they gauge what goes to who with theaters, studio, etc. I suppose I could ask my dad; he used to manage a theater.

I'd like to feel that this Godzilla actually did better than the 1998 one and that the difference isn't just due to 16 years of inflation.
That all may be true but the studios don't care. It's not about butts in the seat, it's about how much those butts paid. Hence how it's reported.

So, I went and saw it this weekend, and I mirror the above sentiments about the fight fakeouts. That really ticked me off. However, overall, I loved the movie and look forward to a sequel.

I actually was more entertained by the disaster parts of the movie than the monsters fighting part. Date enjoyed it although she admitted rooting for Godzilla to die the entire time until the 'twist' that he was the good guy.[DOUBLEPOST=1400599594,1400599199][/DOUBLEPOST]

Pfft, for two of us it was $36. I almost died (But it was Imax and 3d so I can understand the inflated purchase price)

Our theater in this area is going downhill fast. First of all, it's one of those huge ampitheater type of theaters and they don't have the cameras positioned properly for the bend of the screen so it is smooshed at the sides and cut off in a curve along the bottom. Got subtitles? Hope you didn't want to read 'em. Also, they apparently don't know how to turn on the house lights in that theater so people literally have to use their phones to find their way in the dark. To top it all off, when we went to see Godzilla, they forgot to turn on the projector for all the way through the previews. When they finally did, they left the light on in the projection booth, so you couldn't see the movie. This has been a common experience and it's really souring me on going to the movies lately.

That's dreadful.

Even the shittiest little theater I've been too (or spent most of teenage years inside, I miss you Village Tree) was never that bad.

YES! THEY DIDN'T FUCK IT UP! Sure there could've been more monster fighting, but as far as reboots go this was great! And now I will be crossing my fingers for a Pacific Rim cross over.

Saw it last night, some thoughts an some spoilered, uh, spoilers:

1. Cranston. Awesome. The first 20-30 minutes where quite powerful. Then...

He died and the new lead actor and actress sucked. Seriously. They were awful.
The younger leads might be good actors (nothing here inferred it but that might not be their fault) but… I cared zero for them and I'm really disappointed that Gareth Edwards, who KNOWS how to do good character development, did such a shitty job of giving us likable or interesting leads. What a missed opportunity.
Of course, chances are that if we hadn't such a fantastic and powerful opening section with the great Bryan Cranston I might not have noticed that much, I know I wouldn't want to have to follow him.

3. It was a little more "rah-rah military guys!" than I would have liked. Or rather, "rah-rah military guy". I think part of what made "Monsters" work so well is you could identify with the "everyman" nature of the main characters and here we got Muscle guy (he's super smart and can disarm all the bombs!) and Model girl (she's a nurse! Medicine!) who didn't act so much as stare at things.

4. The fight teases. Loved them but got tired of Godzilla sized blue balls. GIMMMMMMMMEEEEEEEE GODZILLA!

5. The Final Battle. Whooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.

6. Godzilla! He killed that thing! Like that! Holy shit!

7. Ah, muscle guy found model girl! Yay! Turn actor settings to "happy emotions". THE END.

Last edited:
Haha, I got a good chuckle out of the stereotypical female protagonist being employed as a I sat there with an RN. We had a long discussion afterwards that it appears that the only jobs women can have in action films are nurses or teachers; and they'll always stay behind to help out.

Liv Tyler in Pearl Harbor
Bridget Moynahan in Sum of All Fears
Michelle Monaghan in Mission Impossible 3

She was pointless. The only reason her and her son were there was to "increase tension" about would the protagonist get to them. BUT NO ONE CARED BECAUSE NONE OF THEM WERE INTERESTING.

She was pointless. The only reason her and her son were there was to "increase tension" about would the protagonist get to them. BUT NO ONE CARED BECAUSE NONE OF THEM WERE INTERESTING.
Well, how about the asian kid on the train. That one was telegraphed from a mile away.

Well, how about the asian kid on the train. That one was telegraphed from a mile away.
Oh totally.

I will say this, that scene felt a lot more "real" than anything else with the main family. Mainly because, yeah, we've seen kids get separated like that. I had genuine sympathy for that kid but I still didn't give two shits about Muscle Army Bomb Detonator Man.

That reunion scene is such an eye-roller. If that reunion scene hadn't been there, I wouldn't have noticed.

Monsters had good characters; I agree. Where their hands pull away from each other--that was only a gripping moment because we could identify and give a damn about the two leads. I'm wondering if the sequel will be as good since it also looks like a very "yay military" movie. I don't know if that's just where Edwards is going with his films now, but he should keep in mind that soldiers have personalities too.

Also, shit like "but I have family there." Yes, okay, let's override procedure and ignore the rules because unlike everyone else, you have family there. No one else has family except you. Please, Family Man, by all means, do whatever you want. On the other hand, I can laugh at shit like that, and for most Godzilla movies, I laugh at a lot of things.

To be fair, Edwards didn't write Godzilla. It's a pretty paint by the numbers generic action story so I suspect he did the best with it he can. I'm hoping he has more influence over the story of the second one.

My big bitch about the movie is how they drug the rocket engines around when all they needed was the warhead. Also why the fuck did the rocket fuel not ignite when the creatures bit into the fuel tanks?

Dave

Staff member
Just saw it. Was more underwhelmed than I'd have liked to be. Indestructible hero alert! But what really killed me was that the movie started at 7:30, was 2 hours 3 minutes long and by 9:15 there was no Godzilla fight yet. I mean come on!

I actually prefer Pacific Rim because it delivered what it promised.

Haha, I got a good chuckle out of the stereotypical female protagonist being employed as a I sat there with an RN. We had a long discussion afterwards that it appears that the only jobs women can have in action films are nurses or teachers; and they'll always stay behind to help out.

Kate Beckinsale Liv Tyler in Pearl Harbor
Liv Tyler kind of nursed Frodo in LotR though :)

Saw it again last night with my cousins and I had a much better time despite a worse audience (cell phones, flashlights, a guy snoring loudly--their area sucks). Now that I've watched it without being in "Where's Godzilla?" mode, it comes off as a better film, though still with the hang-ups of other stuff discussed in the thread. The animation is fantastic; I was able to appreciate it even more now. Godzilla's expressions come off as those of a Pixar character, lots of subtlties and emotion, but wrapped in the details of a live-action movie's CGI as opposed to Pixar CGI. Also noticed a bit more wear and tear on the monsters' bodies.

The kids loved the hell out of it. They must've gone on about it to one of their moms for an hour after it was over.

After the movie, there was a conversation.

Me: "Should've kept the guy's dad as the main character."
Boy cousin: "Yeah."
Girl cousin: "He was okay."
Me: "He wasn't really interesting."
Girl cousin: "But he was cute."

Ah, Legendary, now I see what you did there.

EDIT: Also, woman in front of us starting crying during one of the moments where it seems the Big G has bit the dust.

Yeah, they really made a HUGE mistake by not making Cranston the main character. They better hope he doesn't come knocking for them.

Watched this last night... UGH.... sadly, a mediocre film at best.

I didn't check any reviews/critics of the movie and it was a "birthday gift" movie opportunity with a bro.

It started pretty well with the initial 30 minute setup being what I felt... the BEST part of the movie.

Then Cranston dies.

Wait? What??? The lead actor... dies not even 1/4 into the movie?

Who'll take up the lead? Aaron Two Last Names? Ok, he was decent in Kick-Ass but... WOW... what a HUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGE drop off in talent.

"I'm a bomb disarmer"

What a fucking coincidence.

RIGHT?

RIGHTTTTTTTTTTTT?????????

I went from making jokes with my buddy at the beginning in the movie "he's talking to Jesse on the phone" to... this guy can't act for shit. Is he even trying? What the fuck is with all those long lost distant looks on his face?

Then the build-up kept going on and on and on and on. Ken Watanabe is a solid actor but he had pretty much fucking nothing to work with. Holy shit, I was bored and mildly pissed they killed off Cranston minutes after performing that amazing bit in the office.

Then of course.... the young guy... who literally shrugs off his dad's death and is stuck on the OTHER SIDE OF THE PLANET and "can't wait to get home". Dude, CALL THEM. Of course, wife who's BEGGING TO HEAR FROM HER HUSBAND has her phone in the other room... ON VIBRATE.

FUCK OFF OLSEN DEMON SPAWN.

Then the carnage starts happening.

FUCK YIIIIIIIIIIS.

AW SHIT GAWDZILLAAAAAAAH.

....and we're watching highlights on TV.

... WHAT?

CGI destruction of Honolulu.

WHAT THE FUCK

You... just made me watch an awesome actor die and I'm watching this sad sack act in this weak blockbuster film... and you ROB me a fight.

Movie goes on.

What time is it?

Why the fuck is an aircraft carrier about 300 feet from Godzilla as it swims across the Atlantic? Did they forget they have other ships that can do that? Seriously... this is terrible.

Another monster appears.

I feel slightly better about that... 2 on 1 against GAWDZILLLAAAAAAAAAAH

Does anyone else love the way Ken says GAWDZILLLLLLLLLLLLLLAHHHHHHHHH?

More Olsen bullshit. Ya ya.... I'll let my son on a random bus while I stay behind like a FUCKING IDIOT for a husband I didn't hear of in over a day who was on the other side of the planet too.

IDIOT.

He must have had a huge D.

Fight is about to happen... AWWW SHIT... They are facing off again!

ROUND 2 BABY!!!!!!

And pan out to Olsen hiding in some type of vault... and the fight isn't shown.

WHAT THE FUCK

Why am I even watching this movie?

Is this real life?

Seriously....

WHAT THE FUCK

FUCK YOUUUUUUUU

Holding onto the edge of my seat.

I'm genuinely pissed at this point.

Honest to god.

More hammy acting.

I can't take this anymore.

Why did Crantson have to die? Can I join him?

Right now, I'm thinking about Batman & Robin... the last movie I walked out of the theater of.

FINALLY

Some fighting.

EXCELLENT.

More hammy acting.

The CGI and fight is sweet but still didn't save the movie.

All in all, a weak script and terrible acting with characters I didn't a shit about after... the incident.

The 90ies movie wasn't great but all in all, it was a better film without the awesome CGI we got today.

IMHO? Avoid it watch it when it comes on Netflix/Movie Network.

Last edited:
I liked it quite a bit, I just wish they had given us some reason I care for the boring lead characters. MONSTERS is a far superior film. Godzilla was far more fun though and I'm hoping Edwards gets more control over the script in the sequel.

I would've been happier with either:

A. Better characters, same amount of monsters.

or

B. Less screen time for boring characters, more screen time for Godzilla.

Even having an actor with some presence will get you a better character just because actors have nuances when they've been doing it long enough that can lend dimension even over a script's failures.

Imagine Aaron Taylor Johnson as the nuclear reactor manager at the beginning. The scene where the character's wife dies probably would've felt weaker. Meanwhile, imagine Cranston telling the military that he's the one qualified to disarm the bomb; after watching Breaking Bad, I could see him putting in a stronger performance than Johnson.

Not that Johnson and Olsen are bad actors; they just need the right material. I'm sure they'll do fine in Avengers 2, which will probably have a stronger script. But as far as using acting power to uplift a dull script, the movie traded down in terms of actors as married couples.

I'm trying to watch Terror of Mechagodzilla, but Netflix has the Classic Media DVD release, which sucks. It's presented in widescreen, but the way they do it is by slapping black bars over the existing film, so the top of Godzilla's head is blocked out. The pan-and-scan version I watched on TNT Monster Vision was better than this. That said, it's not a movie I'm inclined to purchase, even if it does make more sense when the Japanese version doesn't cut out the suicide that was censored from American versions.

I like how when they're recapping the 1974 Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla, when Godzilla scraps away some of Mechagodzilla's decoy skin, he has a look on his face like "Huh. That's not me after all."

Presented by the Mechagodzilla Company. Really.

I remember as a little kid being upset when Mechagodzilla in disguise fights Anguirus. I'd just watched Godzilla vs Gigan where they were buddies, and when I thought Anguirus would think his friend had kicked the shit out of him for no reason.

BUT that's a different Godzilla movie and I can't watch that either, or the eternal King Seesar song. But I have it on my iPod.

... and Mechagodzilla's body spread across the waves like twinkling cherry blossoms ...

I love how the bad guy aliens in these movies always use the same shades even when they're from different planets, even star systems.

How DARE Professor Mafuni suggest there was a giant monster living in the sea. HAH! What a quack!

Trying to watch King Kong vs Godzilla through ... means ... but fucking hell the American edit is atrocious. The main characters do an Abbot and Costello shtick, the frequent American actor interruptions feel the need to not only narrate the movie, but then forget their continuity. "How could a dinosaur stay trapped in an iceberg for over 100 million years?" You fuckers just trapped him in there a few years ago in Godzilla Raids Again. Fucking hell.

The interruptions are worse than watching a movie on Sci-Fi channel.

Think I'm gonna give up.

Those first several american adaptations are rough. It's bad enough that you're already dealing with a very different style of movie from something made stateside, but then you get the american studios going over and narrating everything as it happens.

Those first several american adaptations are rough. It's bad enough that you're already dealing with a very different style of movie from something made stateside, but then you get the american studios going over and narrating everything as it happens.
On other hand, I might've been okay with it if they replaced the stupid advertising subplot with the American-made Roger Corman-style stupid science. But having them narrate, and then also show the idiot plot, is really tiring and lengthens the movie beyond where it should be.

Godzilla vs Mothra seemed to get through largely okay. After Nick Adams appeared in Monster Zero, they seemed to just let the movies be what they were.[DOUBLEPOST=1401403601,1401403349][/DOUBLEPOST]I did give up on it, but I'll jump in later when my wife goes to bed. At 40 minutes, I've gotten through the worst of it and the remaining 50 minutes is where a lot of the monster stuff is.

FYE was having a sale and I just came home with 11 Godzilla movies. No Showa, but I have all of the Heisei and Millennium series except for the first of each--which is fine, because I don't want them.

Now I just need the Showa movies I like, Godzilla vs Mothra, Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla, and Terror of Mechagodzilla, and I'm all set.

FYE was having a sale and I just came home with 11 Godzilla movies. No Showa, but I have all of the Heisei and Millennium series except for the first of each--which is fine, because I don't want them.

Now I just need the Showa movies I like, Godzilla vs Mothra, Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla, and Terror of Mechagodzilla, and I'm all set.
The Godzilla 2000 dub is pretty fun. I think I need to take a trip to the mall today.