Google's New Simplistic "Fade" Thing

Status
Not open for further replies.

doomdragon6

Staff member
They need to cut that shit out right now.

"Hey! Let's break our website!"

I mean, yeah, it's all there in a matter of seconds, but it should just fucking be there.

They keep moving things and changing stuff that -every single time- has inconvenienced me in some way, but I was able to understand why it was necessary. This is just annoying and going too far.

Like, what's the fucking point??

/rant

doomdragon6

Staff member
If you go to Google, it's all blank except for the logo and search buttons? When you mouse over the other secondary buttons fade in.

You don't get that? I noticed it on Firefox before, and it started doing it in IE today.

H

Heavan

Whoa, I hadn't noticed until you pointed it out. And now I'll never stop noticing it.

Thanks a lot.

R

Reboneer

I like it, it's removed a lot of the clutter that's been added to the Google homepage over the years. If someone just wants to search, they'll start typing straight away and hit enter, never touching the mouse, so they'll never see everything else. Anyone who wants to click anything else on the page will move the mouse, which triggers everything else to appear.

Yeah, it makes sense to me.

Though I wouldn't be surprised if this disappears or changes soon. Google loves testing and optimization, so it's more than possible they just rolled this out to see whether people's behaviors will change and whether it seems to lead to a better search experience.

R

Reboneer

It's been around for a few months now, I'm guessing it'll stick around.

doomdragon6

Staff member
Argh, it makes me so angry.

Maybe if your cursor speed is set to the lowest it can go and by the time you've moved the mouse to where you want to click the page could've faded in and out 6 times by then, it'd be fine.

But for me, I like to open the page and click what I want within a half-second. And, granted, the area is still "clickable", but I would like to see what I'm clicking dammit.

This frustrates me to no end and they really need to make it optional if they're keeping it.

For people who say it removes the clutter:

That's like sitting at your desk, which has nothing on it, except for maybe a piece of paper. You open your drawer, take out a pencil, write down a few words, and then put the pencil back in the drawer. Then maybe you reach under the desk, where your laptop rests. You pull the laptop up and type on it for a bit, maybe check your e-mail. Then you close the laptop and put it back under your desk. You thought of something else, so you open the drawer, take out the pencil again, and write some more words. Then you put the pencil back in the drawer. "Oh, where are those bills I had to pay? They're here somewhere. Oh, right!" and then you open another drawer and pull them out. Then you put them up and pull your laptop back out to do some more surfing.

What I'm trying to say is ALL THIS SHIT SHOULD BE ON YOUR GODDAMN DESK WHEN YOU WALK IN, GOOGLE.

FUCK.

S

Soliloquy

Did they change it back?

I noticed it earlier today, but now it's gone.

H

Heavan

Still there for me

Man, now that I've seen it, is really is annoying. But I went months (I guess) without noticing it before. So how annoying is it?

doomdragon6

Staff member
How can you people not notice an effing fade effect?

Also, it just started for me today in IE. But, I know it's been around cuz I'd seen it on Firefox for a bit.

And Ame, I managed to find the New Google thing, and it's kinda bright, but wayyyyy better than a fade. :rofl:

R

Reboneer

Greasemonkey script for you whiners (not written by me):

Code:
// ==UserScript==
// @name           NoFade
// @namespace      nofade
// @include        http://www.google.com/
// ==/UserScript==
window.addEventListener("load", function(event) {
  document.getElementById('ghead').style.opacity='1';
  document.getElementById('fctr').style.opacity='1';
  document.getElementById('sbl').style.opacity='1';
  unsafeWindow.google.fade = null;
}, false);

---------- Post added at 06:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:19 PM ----------

What I'm trying to say is ALL THIS SHIT SHOULD BE ON YOUR GODDAMN DESK WHEN YOU WALK IN, GOOGLE.

FUCK.
This is a pretty crappy analogy. I don't know about you, but I keep stuff in my drawer until I actually need it, except for the things I'm going to need 99% of the time (like the searchbox).

doomdragon6

Staff member
1) What do I do with that script?

2) Thankyou

3) Well, I use the search box, images link, videos link, and g-mail link often. The piece of paper that was always there was the search box, the pencil would be images, the laptop videos, and the bills gmail. Or whatever you prefer.

R

Reboneer

If you're using Firefox, install Greasemonkey. If you're using Opera or Chrome, I'm not sure what you'd do, but I know they do have basic Greasemonkey script support. If you're using IE, you're probably out of luck.

firefox and opera both allow you to save search fields, too, to activate with a keyword. Typing "g halforums" in my address bar will bring me to a google search for halforums, whereas typing "youtube halforums" will bring me to a youtube search of halforums.

In firefox, right click in the search bar you'd like to save, and select 'add keyword for this search'. There's a similar option in opera (who had it first) but I don't remember what it's called.

Status
Not open for further replies.