Got that Pokemon itch, but I need help.

So I've been watching ProJared's Nuzlocke plays, and they're pretty awesome. I want to get into the ol' Po-kay-mawn again, but it's been so long save for a little prod at PKMN Black that I don't know where to really dive in.

The main question here is, I suppose, which version is the definitive? What game would be the best one to dive into and play to completion if I haven't cleared/grinded a game since Blue?

If you want access to all possible Pokemon and their mega evolutions, alpha whatever is the latest. Though x/y was really good too

X or Y. It's not the best pacing/story (Black/White is best for that) but the gameplay improvements are huge. If you're going to do a Nuzlocke, make sure to turn off Exp Share when you receive it (in X and Y it's now a Key Item that affects all Pokemon in the party).

I've only ever played Black and I didn't feel lost...
I guess it's not so much that I'm lost, in that I'm trying to figure out which game's mechanics are refined enough. Pokemon has had so many versions and revisions I want to make sure that if I drop a shitload of free time into it again that I land on one that's going to feel good to play.[DOUBLEPOST=1422403972,1422403900][/DOUBLEPOST]
X or Y. It's not the best pacing/story (Black/White is best for that) but the gameplay improvements are huge. If you're going to do a Nuzlocke, make sure to turn off Exp Share when you receive it (in X and Y it's now a Key Item that affects all Pokemon in the party).
I had assumed it'd be X/Y or the new Omegas that would be best. I suppose I'll have to put some cash aside for a 3DS. There's enough games on it I think it would be a good investment anyway.

I had assumed it'd be X/Y or the new Omegas that would be best. I suppose I'll have to put some cash aside for a 3DS. There's enough games on it I think it would be a good investment anyway.
I've found Alpha/Omega to be a bit of a step backward, since they incorporate some features of Ruby/Sapphire that are dated and frustrating. I'd go with X/Y for now and if you enjoy that, then go for Alpha or Omega if you're looking for more to do.

And yes on the 3DS having games. 2013 was an excellent library-building year for it, and 2015 looks to be following up with that. But you don't have to get a 3DS for more Pokemon. As has been said, Black/White is great and it's on the DS.

Have you considered a 2 DS? Super reasonably priced.
I haven't, but with the New 3DS coming out I might just save some cash aside to get that.

I ended up snagging Platinum as it was cheap used, I'll give that a play for awhile and then go from there, I think. I've got Black, but I might just hold off and play Black 2 once I get a 3DS.

I haven't, but with the New 3DS coming out I might just save some cash aside to get that.

I ended up snagging Platinum as it was cheap used, I'll give that a play for awhile and then go from there, I think. I've got Black, but I might just hold off and play Black 2 once I get a 3DS.
Black before Black 2.

Also, Black 2 is a DS game, so it's going to look a little stretched on the 3DS XL or New 3DS XL.