[Movies] Guardians of the Galaxy

Oh wow, I did not watch wrestling during that period. Batista was kind of rad when he wasn't D-Von's sidekick (yeah, it's been that long).

I like how they're bringing another team into the Avengers franchise.

But what I REALLY want to see leading to the third Avengers movie is Heroes for Hire. Just a cameo to introduce them first. Let's say the next invasion force lands in New York (Kree, Skrulls, what have you). A small group of them move to a run-down building and kick in the door. Cue some Bruce Lee screams and someone else shouting "Sweet Christmas!", and then the invaders are thrown right through the wall. As the dust clears, you see Iron Fist and Luke Cage cracking their knuckles.

Seeing the New Warriors would also be cool, especially since Nova is one of my favorites.

I wouldn't mind see that Runaways movie that is supposed to be in production, but I haven't heard anything about it in over a year. I know they already did some casting.

Yes, let's fill the movie with dozens of different comic book characters and storylines. That's what makes the comics themselves so accessible.

Yes, let's fill the movie with dozens of different comic book characters and storylines. That's what makes the comics themselves so accessible.
I'd be willing to bet that accessibility wouldn't be an issue if you could still buy a damn comic book at the supermarket. You wanna know why Archie comics is still around, despite doing the exact same shit for the past 60 some years? It's because you still buy an Archie comic without going to seedy little store in a strip mall.

If you read the old Marvel issues from the 60s, superheroes always had brief cameos in other series. I'm reading the old Daredevil comics right now, and one issue involves the Fantastic Four hiring Nelson & Murdock for legal services regarding a deed. In the first Spider-Man issues with the Sinister Six, the X-Men, Fantastic Four, and Avengers all have cameos. Some are just one panel.

And in the Avengers cartoon, one of the best scenes is where Tony Stark visits the Daily Bugle offices and argues with J. Jonah Jameson. "Unless you want tomorrow's headline to read "Captain America: Benedict Arnold" this interview happens today! PARKER!!!"

So in one of the Marvel movies, I'd love to see a brief scene at the Daily Bugle offices with Jameson.

"You want a warning printed in the Bugle? We've already got our hands full with that red and blue menace. Well, what have you got? Thanos? Why would any mother name their kid that? He looks like he's got a prune for a face! Oh, he's here to destroy Earth? We can give you half of page 10, same price. Robbie, we've got a scoop! Get an extra printing for this evening. Miss Brant, find Parker and tell him to get some shots of Prune-Face when he's not busy tracking that wall-crawler. Well, what are you waiting for? I don't pay you to stand there gawking!"

Man, reading some of the new GotG and watching the Game of Thrones Blurays, I'm definitely back in the camp that Jason Mamoa would have been a much better Drax.

So in one of the Marvel movies, I'd love to see a brief scene at the Daily Bugle offices with Jameson.
Never happen. Sony Pictures still has the rights to Spider-man and are content to make shitty movie after shitty movie every few years to keep it. It's going to be a long time before Disney has all the Marvel movie rights back under one house.

It doesn't seem like a bad idea to make films of other Marvel titles, like Runaways, that live in the Marvel universe, but don't have to interact with the Avengers cast. This way, fans can see other titles and newcomers to the Avengers world won't have to watch (or know the backstory) of 10+ films.

Never happen. Sony Pictures still has the rights to Spider-man and are content to make shitty movie after shitty movie every few years to keep it. It's going to be a long time before Disney has all the Marvel movie rights back under one house.
Same with X-men. Those deals with Sony were struck before Marvel had its own studio (and is one of the major reasons Marvel HAS a studio now), and with super-heroes being as popular as they are now, there's no way Sony is going to let those liscences lapse. That's the main reason we had both X-men First Class and that horrible Spider-man movie recently.

Speaking of which, have people come to realize how bad that movie is yet?

Just Charlie left defending it. I feel good having hated it out of the gate. That crane scene might be the worst thing ever in any comic book movies.

Though Emma Stone is much better than Kirsten Dunst.

Garfield I think is better than Tobey MacGuire in Spider-Man 3.

Same with X-men. Those deals with Sony were struck before Marvel had its own studio (and is one of the major reasons Marvel HAS a studio now), and with super-heroes being as popular as they are now, there's no way Sony is going to let those liscences lapse. That's the main reason we had both X-men First Class and that horrible Spider-man movie recently.

Still better than the Rami films.

For the man resonsible for the Evil Dead Trilogy, Hercules, and Xena, those movies were sure missing a whole lot of fun.

I haven't seen it recently, but I remember liking it okay. What was wrong with The Amazing Spider-Man?

The first 2 Rami films were way better than Amazing Spider-Man. Even if it did focus on the whiney side of Peter, at least he wasn't a full on douchebag.

First Raimi was passable for me. 2nd gets major points because of how sympathetic Doc Oc was and especially Alfred Molina pulling it off. 3rd one... well... Less said the better.

But I didn't really think Peter Parker was too much of a douchebag in Amazing. I don't recall any particular douchey moments. Perhaps if you reminded me of the ones you thought were at the top of the list?

I haven't seen it recently, but I remember liking it okay. What was wrong with The Amazing Spider-Man?
Peter was the opposite of heroic. The ONLY thing that he did that wasn't directly to benefit himself was to save that kid in the car, and even then he left a bunch more people in danger. He literally got a minority honor student kicked out of Ozcorp by stealing his ID, ruining that kid's possible placement in the intern program there... that's SUPER heroic. Even the muggers he stopped were only in search of Ben's killer.

He focused more on vengence then on doing the right thing.

Dr. Conors was pretty much a mustache twirling snidely whiplash character. That would have been fine for the Vulture or someone, but Doc Connors is a great tortured and morally complex villain that was reduced to a cliche.

The entire plan to turn everyone into lizard people was just plain stupid.

So many plot holes, you could drive a mack truck through them.

Aunt May may as well have not even existed.

The ONLY thing I liked was Emma Stone and Dennis Leary as the Staceys.

The movie suffered from trying to be like the Dark Knight itis.

The only reason fans of the comics loved it is because the organic web shooters were gone, and he cracked a few jokes.

Spider-Man 2 is still my third favorite super-hero movie, after Superman 2 and The Dark Knight.

Peter was the opposite of heroic. The ONLY thing that he did that wasn't directly to benefit himself was to save that kid in the car, and even then he left a bunch more people in danger. He literally got a minority honor student kicked out of Ozcorp by stealing his ID, ruining that kid's possible placement in the intern program there... that's SUPER heroic. Even the muggers he stopped were only in search of Ben's killer.

He focused more on vengence then on doing the right thing.

Dr. Conors was pretty much a mustache twirling snidely whiplash character. That would have been fine for the Vulture or someone, but Doc Connors is a great tortured and morally complex villain that was reduced to a cliche.

The entire plan to turn everyone into lizard people was just plain stupid.

So many plot holes, you could drive a mack truck through them.

Aunt May may as well have not even existed.

The ONLY thing I liked was Emma Stone and Dennis Leary as the Staceys.

The movie suffered from trying to be like the Dark Knight itis.

The only fans of the comics loved it is because the organic web shooters were gone, and he cracked a few jokes.
Totally fair. Probably not what the writer/director had in mind when trying to portray the character, but that's how he was clearly seen from many viewpoints. I didn't quite notice these aspects of his character. I saw him doing what a normal person would likely do if given extraordinary powers. I was very happy that they included the fact that he's intellectual. And yeah, he screwed over a guy's internship. But when Ferris Bueller does something similar we laugh and cheer. When Marty McFly screws over time itself to give his family a make-over we mental five him.
Just depends on your point of view.

I agree that Conners wasn't very sympathetic. I also wasn't very fond of the final Lizard form. And near the end of the film they completely threw away the opportunity for Spidey to be battling several dozen lizard monsters in an epic slug fest.
Thank goodness the new ones were polite enough to wait around until everything was resolved.

I like mack trucks.

Loved Emma Stone and Dennis Leary. What a great role for Leary. His death was a little cliche, but meh. As you pointed out, so was the villain.

I don't know if I would liken it to Dark Knight. I think it was trying to be more on par with the recent Avengers line of Marvel films.

And Indiana Jones destroys priceless temples to gain a single treasure.

Point is it's no fun watching Jones study and log ancient architecture for two hours.

Peter was the opposite of heroic. The ONLY thing that he did that wasn't directly to benefit himself was to save that kid in the car, and even then he left a bunch more people in danger. He literally got a minority honor student kicked out of Ozcorp by stealing his
ID, ruining that kid's possible placement in the intern program there... that's SUPER heroic.
You mean like letting a mugger go with a bunch of money that he could easily stop? That's not unusual for Pre-Spider-man Peter.

Even the muggers he stopped were only in search of Ben's killer.
You mean like he originally did in the Rami movies? The difference being that in the first Rami movie, he knew who he was going after and didn't have to go searching for him.

The only reason fans of the comics loved it is because the organic web shooters were gone, and he cracked a few jokes.
Nah, the organic web shooters were never a big deal to me. The fact that Peter had a sense of humor was a nice touch certainly, but Garfield was a better Parker in general beyond that, and as mentioned, other casting choices such as Emma Stone and Dennis Leary were also well done.