Export thread

Halloween 2015!

Dei

Dei

Halloween is 2 weeks away and no thread yet?!

I have a huge headache, but it matters not because it is time to actually start working on my daughter's costume! I have a bunch of stuff for my costume gathered together, but I still need to hunt down the pieces to make a belt and brooch.

drifter

drifter

I'm looking forward to eating all the leftover candy.

Dei

Dei

My kids go to so many Halloween events, but now that my son has decided that he has outgrown it (don't ask me, I don't get it) I only have one child to steal candy from. :p

Though honestly, we usually get SO MUCH CANDY that most of it just sits in their bags until the following Halloween and then we throw it all out and start over.

Gared

Gared

Halloween and its leftover candy nearly killed me last year - but I don't want to be the house that gives out sugar-free candy on Halloween, so I guess I'll just have to use some willpower man up and bring the leftover candy to work.

Adam

Adam

I'm half excited/terrified about Halloween this year because I actually tried to put together a costume.

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

I be broke, so probably will just redo the Mario costume again.

fade

fade

Is it just me, or does Halloween seem kind of underplayed this year?

PatrThom

PatrThom

I've been experiencing the opposite. I swear there are houses around here that are decorated with light-up orange and black candy canes.

--Patrick

fade

fade

There are nice decorations sure, but the people themselves don't really seem into it. May have something to do with this being one of the hottest Octobers on record. Still feels like summer here.

Celt Z

Celt Z

I think my Steven Universe cosplay may have to count as my dressing up this year, unless I come up with a last minute idea. Li'l Z has his costume and it's his first time going neighborhood trick or treating, so I'll probably just be the chaperone.

PatrThom

PatrThom

unless I come up with a last minute idea.
kmZWJGf.jpg

--Patrick

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

I could make one of those and scream at people,

"NO, I AM A POUND SIGN!!!!"

Celt Z

Celt Z

And costume done.

I could make one of those and scream at people,

"NO, I AM A POUND SIGN!!!!"
That's like asking to get beat up.

evilmike

evilmike

That's like asking to get beat up.
He's in Texas -- I suspect that, unless you're in Austin, the hashtag version is the one that's more likely to run into trouble.

fade

fade

*Octothorpe.

LittleKagsin

LittleKagsin

I feel surprisingly uninspired by Halloween this year. :(

I did finally decide on my costume last night (Liv from iZombie) and finished it, which is nice. I'm also really pleased that no one has asked me to borrow my costumes or to make things for them because 'it's so easy for me'. I hate that.

But really, it's going to be so low-key for me this year. Only one party (which is a miracle I got invited to at all) and no big photo shoot planned or anything else. I'm so lazy!

Fun Size

Fun Size

Just finished the annual parties (one for each kid one right after the other). I'm so goddamned tired right now.

On the bright side, I've been awash in podcasts (The Black Tapes, Tanis, the annual Dana Gould Comedy Hour Halloween episode, Nightmare Magazine, nosleep), books (The October Country), comics (Wytches, Colder, The Haunted Mansion), and even managed to watch a half hour of Carnival of Souls, which I'm hoping to actually finish.

WasabiPoptart

WasabiPoptart

We were going to a zombie pub crawl downtown on Saturday, but it didn't happen (no money and then Aussie's car had a tire that went completely to shit). I was going to dress up as female Daryl Dixon. I still have all of the clothes, so it's probably what I'll do on Halloween.

fade

fade

female Daryl Dixon
Is anyone else as turned on as I am right now? No?

Terrik

Terrik

Dei

Dei

I got diverted from sewing anything today because I had to run out to buy nylon thread. Now I need to find the correct Allen wrench so I can swap the needles in my serger to ballpoint, but first I need to run my kids around for the next hour and a half.

LittleKagsin

LittleKagsin

My makeup test for Liv; turned out pretty alright.

Plus I have my cute little brain prop to carry around. :D Makes me excited.

Dei

Dei

OMG, TIL that a cosplay shop recently opened up in Boulder. :aaah:

GasBandit

GasBandit

Since I've moved here, I've never gotten trick or treaters.

But I buy candy for them every year, just in case.

I haven't dressed up for Halloween or gone out since I was in college, I think.

But I like looking at pictures of what other people do!

PatrThom

PatrThom

OMG, TIL that a cosplay shop recently opened up in Boulder. :aaah:
I hear that Joann's Fabrics is going to introduce a line of fabrics next year specifically for cosplay.

...let the newest fashion fad commence!

--Patrick

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Since I've moved here, I've never gotten trick or treaters.

But I buy candy for them every year, just in case.

There was like a ten year period after 9/11 where parents just didn't bother to bring their kids around our neighborhood. It's only recently picked up to the point where I've actually started running out of candy.

Dei

Dei

My parents don't really get a lot of trick or treaters anymore because all the kids that used to live there was I was a kid are all adults now. We get so many kids because they are just in a constant state of building new houses around me.

blotsfan

blotsfan

We get like, 3 groups of trick or treaters a year. Which means lots of yummy leftover candy. And since its my responsibility to buy it this year, they're gonna have lots and lots of airheads.

Celt Z

Celt Z

In the 9 years we've lived in this house, only once did we ever get a bunch of trick-or-treaters. Most years I didn't get one. I think it has a lot to do with our street not having any sidewalks and not being too far from a main road. That, and I've noticed there are a lot of people that don't get home until closer to sunset around here.
We're planning on taking Li'l Z to my mother's townhouse development. Less traffic and short walk. I don't know how long this is going to keep his interest.

Dei

Dei

Our neighborhood is awesome for trick or treating. We even have a section of more expensive houses that always give away treat bags with multiple full size candy bars.

Fun Size

Fun Size

This actually describes my sex life as well.

phil

phil

I'm torn between doing Party Mummy because it's so simple and cheap or finding racoon ears and tail for Racoon power up Mario since I already have a baseline Mario costume.

Of my friends want to go out I'll have to figure out how to do Party Mummy but still let the bouncer see my face. So that might be a big point for Mario but I've done that twice in the last 3 years.

Bumble the Boy Wonder

Bumble the Boy Wonder

I might be a pirate

CrimsonSoul

CrimsonSoul

I might be a pirate
A slutty pirate?

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

Bumble the Boy Wonder

Bumble the Boy Wonder

A slutty pirate?

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk
Nah, You're supposed to dress up as something different

PatrThom

PatrThom

Nah, You're supposed to dress up as something different

--Patrick

Celt Z

Celt Z

I might be a pirate
Perhaps a smelly pirate hooker?

Bones

Bones

My makeup test for Liv; turned out pretty alright.

Plus I have my cute little brain prop to carry around. :D Makes me excited.

Wait this is you kags!!? This was on reddit a few days ago and never even knew it was you!

Dei

Dei

I started making my belt for Raven, finished the bottoms for my daughter's costume, and made a pattern for her boot covers. I was going to do more, but then I misplaced my rotary cutter and so I set everything aside for the night, thus increasing my chances of finding it someplace obvious later.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

I am going to shave my beard and head for Movember. But I don't know where I can find a pair of white jeans my size... so I could be Mr. Clean... that let himself go.

fade

fade

Halloween prop #2 in progress. This will be a knock box. Can't take a lot of design credit for this. It's an old trick. It listens for knocks and plays them back. If you knock 13 times it does a trick. The red LED is a stand-in for the motor that will do the knocking.

Dei

Dei

Boot covers are hard. :thumbsdown:

LittleKagsin

LittleKagsin

Wait this is you kags!!? This was on reddit a few days ago and never even knew it was you!

It always scares me that I have graced the area of reddit....
(Yes, tis me!)

But thank you! I'm a chameleon, what can I say. ;)

Dei

Dei

I am getting to the point today where I just want to give everything a giant FUCK OFF and walk away. Thankfully this feeling is happening while I still have time to spare, so I can do it for a little bit guilt free. ;)

I am really glad I learned my lesson about procrastination! (But only with costumes. Every thing else is still fair game.)

Dei

Dei

(A lot of my frustration is coming from the fact that I am having to learn new things through trial and error, which is good for me, because I have the time to do so. ;) )

Celt Z

Celt Z

(A lot of my frustration is coming from the fact that I am having to learn new things through trial and error, which is good for me, because I have the time to do so. ;) )
If it makes you feel better, most of my costume attempts are like this.

fade

fade

Okay, I couldn't let the knock-box go without adding my own piece of flair. So I taught it to recognize patterns, and not just play them back. Check it out. Roger Rabbit hates this one weird trick:

[DOUBLEPOST=1445647039,1445646885][/DOUBLEPOST]Also, this marks the first time I've ever named a variable shaveAndAHaircut.

Dei

Dei

Yaaaaay, all I have left to do on my daughter's costume is to hem everything.

Dei

Dei

phil

phil

Guys!

Guys.

Ok guys, listen.

I'm a ghost and I'm a barista.

I'm a boorista.

20151023_235540.jpg

Guys, I'm hilarious.

Like, for reals.

evilmike

evilmike

Guys!

Guys.

Ok guys, listen.

I'm a ghost and I'm a barista.

I'm a boorista.

View attachment 19534

Guys, I'm hilarious.

Like, for reals.

Dei

Dei

My mom does not approve of my daughter's costume. I probably should have had her wear the unitard when I took the picture, but I don't think it would have helped. But I am *so very excited* for my mom's phone call that will inevitably come in the next few days.

Dei

Dei

However, my husband took our daughter out to a trick or treat event at a nearby outdoor mall, and at least one mom and a few kids were excited to see a Starfire costume, so at least I feel like I can tell my mom she has something to wear under it and then commence teenage eye rolling on the other side of the conversation while she goes on and on.

Gruebeard

Gruebeard

I admit one of my first thoughts (after thinking it was well made) was that there was an awful lot of flesh showing. But then also your kid looks so young - ten? - it doesn't matter. It's a nice costume. Looks fun.

jwhouk

jwhouk

One of the requirements of a Halloween costume in Wisconsin is whether or not it could be worn over a winter coat.

Bumble the Boy Wonder

Bumble the Boy Wonder

20151023_164634.jpg

Pieced together at ye Olde Goodwill

evilmike

evilmike

You guys ever get one of those company wide emails and someone replies all and its followed by someone else replying all telling the to stop replying all then someone else replies all and points out that the last dude replied all and we should stop replying all.

Yeah it's kind of lik that.

Also, I made some monster brownies yesterday:
monster brownies.jpg

Dave

Dave

A rare Bumble sighting!

PatrThom

PatrThom

View attachment 19536

Pieced together at ye Olde Goodwill
A rare Bumble sighting!

--Patrick

Dei

Dei

Messing around with my costume.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Messing around with my costume.

Azerath-Metreon-DammitTerrik

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

Last year, I was a pirate for Halloween, and along with candy, I gave away skull and crossbones rings to the 6-10 year old crowd. They were a big hit.

This year, I'm upping my game. I have a "pirate chest" filled with booty, and I'll be giving coins and jewels in addition to the candy.

I've got enough left over trinkets for a full refill of the chest...about 150 pieces of both coins and gems. I think I'll have enough to give every kid at least a couple.

drifter

drifter

Carved a pumpkin, turned out pretty well.

An accidental picture of the lantern losing his jack.

fade

fade

Whoa! That's a sweet photo.

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

That's right..we're that family.

Emrys

Emrys

I'm going to need your address.

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

I'm going to need your address.
Virginia's a pretty long trip for a candy bar ;)[DOUBLEPOST=1445973736,1445973632][/DOUBLEPOST]Incidentally: To the right of the candy you can see corn syrup and baking soda. You know what that means--peanut brittle. Or cashew brittle. I haven't decided yet. I'll figure it out when I go out to buy the nuts. I have everything else.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Last year, I was a pirate for Halloween, and along with candy, I gave away skull and crossbones rings to the 6-10 year old crowd. They were a big hit.

This year, I'm upping my game. I have a "pirate chest" filled with booty, and I'll be giving coins and jewels in addition to the candy.

I've got enough left over trinkets for a full refill of the chest...about 150 pieces of both coins and gems. I think I'll have enough to give every kid at least a couple.
They can also aerate their wine.

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

They can also aerate their wine.
I thought it was fitting that the "treasure chest" was an old port box set. I got it a couple of years ago with a bottle of 20 year old sandemans for my anniversary a couple of years ago.

Dei

Dei

I expect the women's section of Spirit Halloween to be 99% "sexy" costumes.

But, really. Sexy Spongebob, Sexy Pikachu, Sexy Minions, Sexy TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLE?! Nothing is sacred anymore.

GasBandit

GasBandit

I expect the women's section of Spirit Halloween to be 99% "sexy" costumes.

But, really. Sexy Spongebob, Sexy Pikachu, Sexy Minions, Sexy TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLE?! Nothing is sacred anymore.
It was about the time to repost this for the year again anyway.

Dei

Dei

Honestly I am far more disturbed by child size Walking Dead costumes, than the sexy ones. But STILL.

fade

fade

My daughter is going as a zombie this year. She's never seen the show, but she wants to be something scary and not cutesy.

Dei

Dei

Zombie is one thing. Sheriff Rick covered in blood is another thing ENTIRELY.

Celt Z

Celt Z

Virginia's a pretty long trip for a candy bar ;)
I think I can swing it. Just put one of those boxes in my bag, please. :D

PatrThom

PatrThom

An accidental picture of the lantern losing his jack.

--Patrick

Bumble the Boy Wonder

Bumble the Boy Wonder

How about round 2?

20151027_141031.jpg

GasBandit

GasBandit

The Scariest Pumpkin.

Bones

Bones

The Scariest Pumpkin.

YOU...YOU MONSTER!!!

Gruebeard

Gruebeard

That's truly terrifying. It's like only a quarter of where my battery's at.

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

I think I can swing it. Just put one of those boxes in my bag, please. :D
Deal ;)

Dei

Dei

Celt Z

Celt Z

This is the only reason I take my child trick-or-treating.

Dei

Dei

It's an awful lot of work for candy I can buy at half price the next day tbh.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Pumpkin time! I did Steven Universe this year instead of my usual Pokemon, except I made my own stencils this year instead of downloading some from the web.

Pearl Lit.JPG

Pearl came out perfect. Gouged the hair, her eyes, and the gem on her forehead. Rest are cuts to give it a bit of highlights. Steven, on the other hand...

Steven Lit.JPG

Steven's pumpkin was -2 and 3/4 inches- thick. As such, I had to gouge at it for an hour with a wood cutting tool and his hair barely lights up now. It'll be fine at night, but I'm still not happy with how this one came out.

Squidleybits

Squidleybits

Our daughter went out dressed as a brony tonight :) Had me draw a beard on her and everything :)

Gruebeard

Gruebeard

I thought the Maritimes were only an hour ahead.

Squidleybits

Squidleybits

To an event, trick or treating is Saturday :)

Gruebeard

Gruebeard

I really wish I needed brony explained to me, but alas the internet has ruined me.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Be sure to check the candy bags, parents, the things people are giving out are getting more dangerous every year!

Dei

Dei

OH GOD, NOT THAT!

GasBandit

GasBandit

OH GOD, NOT THAT!
Yep. It's a horrible gateway drug.
Next thing you know,
you'll be wondering
HOW THE HELL'D WE WIND UP LIKE THIS
WHY WEREN'T WE ABLE
TO SEE THE SIGNS THAT WE MISSED
AND TRY TO TURN THE TABLES

blotsfan

blotsfan

I like Nickleback...

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

I like Nickleback...

PatrThom

PatrThom

Be sure to check the candy bags, parents, the things people are giving out are getting more dangerous every year!

Hee-hee
A razor apple and some Ex-Lax CANDY

--Patrick

Zappit

Zappit

My school is doing a crazy hat day on the last Friday before Halloween. I'm building a Death Star hat. I'll post some pictures when it's finished - or finished enough - haven't had a lot of time to work on it.

MindDetective

MindDetective

My school is doing a crazy hat day on the last Friday before Halloween. I'm building a Death Star hat. I'll post some pictures when it's finished - or finished enough - haven't had a lot of time to work on it.
You're not fooling anyone. That is a fully operational hat.

PatrThom

PatrThom

You're not fooling anyone. That is a fully operational hat.
Witness the power of this fully brimmed and operational headgear!

--Patrick

Zappit

Zappit

Look. There is a green light at the center of the lens. But I assure you, it is not destructive.

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

I've got to work on Halloween, so I'm getting some festivities in early today and catching John Carpenter's Halloween, which is being brought back to certain theaters for one night only.

Zappit

Zappit

It was a bit too cumbersome to take a picture with it actually on my head.

Dei

Dei

Topical to my earlier complaint. ;)

Dei

Dei

I have found my costume for next year.

http://www.cheerupemokid.com/comic/slutty-game-developer

GasBandit

GasBandit

That's a lot of zippers.

PatrThom

PatrThom

I was hoping someone would post this.

--Patrick

GasBandit

GasBandit

Adam

Adam

Good morning!

captainadam.jpg

fade

fade

That is the weirdest looking maple leaf.

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

I think this belongs in the halloween thread more than the cooking thread...

Cashew brittle is cooling on my counter... :D

Attachments

PatrThom

PatrThom

I think this belongs in the halloween thread more than the cooking thread...

Cashew brittle is cooling on my counter... :D
Why is it so cloudy? When we make brittle/toffee, it's much more translucent.

--Patrick

Emrys

Emrys

--Patrick
He added mustard.

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

--Patrick
Where I'm from, it's traditional to add a bit of baking soda (.25tsp), which adds a lot of tiny bubbles to the brittle, making it more...brittle ;) But also, like the foamy head on a beer, makes it a lot less transluscent.

The basic recipe is to cook sugar and water (and some salt if you're using raw peanuts) and peanuts to the hard-crack stage, which is essentially the same stage that you cook to make transluscent hard candies. Stir in a bit of butter and baking soda, pour onto a sheet and let cool.

My phone is notorious for taking potato quality photos..the color is just all wrong. My brittle looks a lot like the brittle on the right in this professional photo:

But if you look close enough, both brittles have a ton of tiny bubbles in them, indicative of the addition of baking soda.

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

Didn't take long to cool down...shattered into pieces easily. So delicious.

PatrThom

PatrThom

We usually leave out the water entirely, just cooking together butter and sugar, and then leave out the baking soda as well so it stays tangy. That's probably also why it's not as cloudy.

--Patrick

Dei

Dei

Another costume selfie

PatrThom

PatrThom

We can almost see your tightless legs.

--Patrick

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

We usually leave out the water entirely, just cooking together butter and sugar, and then leave out the baking soda as well so it stays tangy. That's probably also why it's not as cloudy.

--Patrick
Water makes it much easier to get to the hard-crack stage (where only 1% of the mixture is water anyway) without lumps. Keeps thing from getting too hot, too fast, also, so makes it easy to get to that 300 degree milestone without going over too quickly.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Here's the halloween album I had when I was a kid. I used to listen to it all the time, even when it wasn't october!

fade

fade

Yeah we had that record. The water torture track would probably be considered juuuuuuust a little ethnocentric to say the least these days.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Yeah we had that record. The water torture track would probably be considered juuuuuuust a little ethnocentric to say the least these days.
Ha ha ha ha... YES.

Just for the rest of you, the part he's talking about is at 12:34.

PatrThom

PatrThom

These were ours.

(we also had #1 "The Headless Horseman")

(we actually had not this one, but #3 "Sounds of the Unknown")

--Patrick

Dei

Dei

I was told I look like I belong in a 90s grunge band when I'm not wearing the costume with my makeup. [emoji14]

PatrThom

PatrThom

I was told I look like I belong in a 90s grunge band when I'm not wearing the costume with my makeup. [emoji14]

More like Fred Gwynne's granddaughter.
1350921914_herman_munster_001.jpg

Might be an idea for going as a Rule 63 version of the character next year.

--Patrick

GasBandit

GasBandit

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

GasBandit

GasBandit

Frank

Frank

Kris Straub did a pretty sweet unsettling video for Halloween.

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

we are ready...

I got some small size candy as well, cause I figure the parents of very young children might not want their kids having full-sized bars.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Already had Beggar's Night here. My pumpkins were a hit, per usual... mostly because no one else is willing to spend half a work day carving them like I am.

LittleKagsin

LittleKagsin

I'm so jealous watching everyone get to dress up for work parties!

Someday I'll work at a place that allows costumes for Halloween. :)

evilmike

evilmike

I'm so jealous watching everyone get to dress up for work parties!

Someday I'll work at a place that allows costumes for Halloween. :)

Celt Z

Celt Z

Last minute costume, built entirely out of things I already had around the house! (Except the stingers, which are a cheap bandolier I spray painted.)
20151031_131812.jpg

Frank

Frank

Working tonight. Sigh.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Working tonight. Sigh.
You should show up for your shift dressed as a fireman. Trade uniforms with someone from your local FD.

Cajungal

Cajungal

Working tonight. Sigh.
Grad school project here. But I'm no fun on Halloween. I don't go to many parties, so if I put on a costume I tend to have fun for 5 minutes and then look around and think, "now what?" Such is the life of a joyless overthinker.

drifter

drifter

Decided to try and make a mask. Finished just in time. Could have turned out better, but at least I learned some stuff for next time.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

My department is called Enterprise Systems Support. Next year I am buying all of us Star Trek Red Shirts.[DOUBLEPOST=1446313201,1446313030][/DOUBLEPOST]
Working tonight. Sigh.
Sergeant Phil Esterhaus said:
Hey, let's be careful out there.

PatrThom

PatrThom

My department is called Enterprise Systems Support. Next year I am buying all of us Star Trek Red Shirts.[DOUBLEPOST=1446313201,1446313030][/DOUBLEPOST]
Make sure to change your ringtone, too.

--Patrick

Dei

Dei

A bunch of the guys who got laid off at my husband's job and are awaiting their final termination date wore Star Trek red shirts at work yesterday.

Also, Halloween cupcakes yaaaay! (I did not make them)

Bubble181

Bubble181

You should show up for your shift dressed as a fireman. Trade uniforms with someone from your local FD.
The cop with a helmet and an axe, I can see how that'd work. The fireman with a gun and a hat, though? He's fucked. :p

Dei

Dei

While trying to find our pumpkin carving tools, I found a Tupperware container full of last year's seeds that I never roasted. [emoji33] [emoji33] [emoji33] [emoji33]

GasBandit

GasBandit

While trying to find our pumpkin carving tools, I found a Tupperware container full of last year's seeds that I never roasted. [emoji33] [emoji33] [emoji33] [emoji33]
Did any of them sprout?[DOUBLEPOST=1446317480,1446317456][/DOUBLEPOST]

Dei

Dei

No, I could probably still roast them. :p

WasabiPoptart

WasabiPoptart

The cop with a helmet and an axe, I can see how that'd work.

IronBrig4

IronBrig4

I've got two costumes: one for last night's party and one for today. Last night I went as Russell from Up. I got a cap, shorts, button-down shirt, and orange bandana. Then I clipped some camping gear to my hiking pack. To top it off, I went to a party store and got some helium balloons tied to the pack. Otherwise I'd look like an overgrown Boy Scout. I'm waiting for my friends to send me pix of that; apparently I was born to be Russell. When they asked who I was I replied, "good afternoon, my name is Russell... and I am a Wilderness Explorer in Tribe Fifty-four... Sweat Lodge Twelve... are you in need of any assistance today, sir?"

Today I'm dressing as Sheldon Cooper. I shall be incredibly condescending to my trick-or-treaters whilst handing them full-sized candy bars.

This was one of the hottest Octobers on record so it didn't feel like Halloween came until this week. Downtown Bryan has a haunted house but it seemed like nobody was going to it.

Also, I wonder when the "sexy [insert occupation here]" costume type became so popular. It seems to be a lazy cop-out for girls who forgot it was Halloween. And the tragic thing is they'll win the costume contests instead of the more original girls who spent weeks sewing their own outfits from scratch.

Bubble181

Bubble181

Also, I wonder when the "sexy [insert occupation here]" costume type became so popular. It seems to be a lazy cop-out for girls who forgot it was Halloween.
Popular since at least 1994 :p

IronBrig4

IronBrig4

And you know what was REALLY disturbing? The "sexy Russell" costumes I saw online. He's eight years old!

Dei

Dei

We had that conversation already! ;)

Bubble181

Bubble181

I understand we've been here a long time and we'll be repeating all of our conversations, but when we're repeating them from less than 2 weeks ago, we're in trouble.

Also, funny picture:

IronBrig4

IronBrig4

Yeah, I didn't read through the first few pages.

I don't get any trick-or-treaters in my neighborhood. There's no sidewalk and I live a bit too close to the college bars. But I know that the kids will be out in force the one time I neglect to buy candy.

Bubble181

Bubble181

PatrThom

PatrThom

Today I'm dressing as Sheldon Cooper. I shall be incredibly condescending to my trick-or-treaters whilst handing them full-sized candy bars.
Next year, go as D.B. Cooper. Steal everyone's candy, and then jump out of an airplane.

Also, I saw this, it was pretty funny.
YGBKNMW.jpg

--Patrick

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

GasBandit

GasBandit

I understand we've been here a long time and we'll be repeating all of our conversations, but when we're repeating them from less than 2 weeks ago, we're in trouble.

Also, funny picture:

Next year, go as D.B. Cooper. Steal everyone's candy, and then jump out of an airplane.

Also, I saw this, it was pretty funny.
View attachment 19591

--Patrick
POST IT AGAIN! I ENJOY IT! POST IT AGAIN! I'M A FIDDLER CRAB![DOUBLEPOST=1446329349,1446328987][/DOUBLEPOST]
Also, I wonder when the "sexy [insert occupation here]" costume type became so popular. It seems to be a lazy cop-out for girls who forgot it was Halloween. And the tragic thing is they'll win the costume contests instead of the more original girls who spent weeks sewing their own outfits from scratch.

IronBrig4

IronBrig4

I was on my way to the grocery store around 11:30 when I noticed a LOT of chicks on the walk of shame. Nearly all of them were in the sexy whatever outfits.

This is terribly stereotypical, but why does it seem like douchebags always dress up as drug lords? Tony Montana, Walter White, and Jesse Pinkman always seem to be standbys for them. And now that Narcos on Netflix has high ratings, Pablo Escobar. I'm not saying that anyone who dresses as those people is a douchebag. What I'm saying is douchebags tend to be drawn to those characters. The guy who blares loud music with his car windows open, screams whenever he lifts weights at the gym, and reeks of Axe body spray the other 364 days of the year is almost guaranteed to dress as Tony Montana.

PatrThom

PatrThom

POST IT AGAIN! I ENJOY IT! POST IT AGAIN! I'M A FIDDLER CRAB!
Do you love the smell of burnt feathers? And Cordite?

--Patrick

Squidleybits

Squidleybits

Zombie selfie
image.jpg

fade

fade

Final knock box

And decorations (they look better in the dark)

Ready to scare the kiddies
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Since I shaved my head and beard, I'll walk around tonight's party sucking on a lollipop saying, "Who loves ya baby." Then use it as an age test to see if any women there are old enough to get the costume... ask her out.[DOUBLEPOST=1446335524,1446335457][/DOUBLEPOST]
View attachment 19593
Cool, +2 to melee weapons.

GasBandit

GasBandit

I have to be honest and say the only reason I know "Who loves ya baby" is a Telly Savalas reference is because it was part of a gag on Animaniacs once back in the 90s.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

I have to be honest and say the only reason I know "Who loves ya baby" is a Telly Savalas reference is because it was part of a gag on Animaniacs once back in the 90s.
But that still counts.

CrimsonSoul

CrimsonSoul

Pouring rain? Check. Flood Warning? Check. Walking around for 2 hours with the kids in the rich neighborhood (along with tons of other people)? Check.
http://www.weather.com/weather/today/l/77566:4:US

GasBandit

GasBandit

But that still counts.
So if you say who loves you baby, and the woman says, hey that's from Animaniacs, that's good enough?

Dei

Dei

My husband decided he wanted to take my daughter out Trick or Treating this year instead of me for the first time ever. But then he said, "But she doesn't need to be out for two hours" (8:30 being about the time people start turning off their porch lights). The poor, poor fool.

Also I hate manning the door and would rather be Trick or Treating.

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

Hah, I used to watch kojack when I was a pre-teen[DOUBLEPOST=1446339062,1446338991][/DOUBLEPOST]so, we had 120 pieces of full-size candy, 150 pieces of mini candy, 72 neckalces, 210 dubloons, and 140 gemstones.

All of it was gone by 8:30.

Bubble181

Bubble181

Hah, I used to watch kojack when I was a pre-teen[DOUBLEPOST=1446339062,1446338991][/DOUBLEPOST]so, we had 120 pieces of full-size candy, 150 pieces of mini candy, 72 neckalces, 210 dubloons, and 140 gemstones.

All of it was gone by 8:30.
So 120 kids got what they wanted, and 150+ got excited at the prospect of having found a full-size-candy house and got a let-down? You monster :p

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

So 120 kids got what they wanted, and 150+ got excited at the prospect of having found a full-size-candy house and got a let-down? You monster :p
We have a good number of 3-6 year olds, and most of them probably shouldn't get a full sized candy bar, so we usually give them a couple small ones instead.

We got a lot of excited 8 year olds running from the house to their parents on the sidewalk going "wow! I got a full size candy bar!"

We got a lot of excited 13-15 year olds running to the house going "nice camaro!" (we were set up just inside the garage to keep the cold wind off of my fingers while I played the whistle)

blotsfan

blotsfan

As a former 3-6 year old. I disagreed with that logic.

fade

fade

All that decoration and only 4 families. Sigh. The problem is that the other side of the major street through this neighborhood puts on a block party and everyone just stays on that side and trick or treats.

Dei

Dei

I remembered to roast my pumpkin seeds this time. Mmmmm

fade

fade

My LED matrix pumpkin has gone bright for hours thanks to the fact that only one LED is actually on at a time despite what it looks like.

Celt Z

Celt Z

We took Li'l Z door-to-door trick-or-treating for the first time this year. We started small by taking him to the townhouse development where I used to live (and my mom still does). After 20 minutes, his bag was full and he was a very happy Lightning McQueen.
20151031_154556sm.jpg

My mom also surprised me with an adult Halloween treat: the official beer of New York Comic Con!
20151031_205240sm.jpg

So now that Li'l Z is fast asleep, I'm spending Halloween like a true parent: sipping a beer and stealing my kid's candy.
20151031_210515-1sm.jpg

PatrThom

PatrThom

What? No fingerless gloves? Tsk tsk.
That'll happen when you worry an entire planet bald.

--Patrick

Dei

Dei

My daughter came home with 11 pounds of candy.

PatrThom

PatrThom

My daughter came home with 11 pounds of candy.
How many will go on to you?

--Patrick

GasBandit

GasBandit

[DOUBLEPOST=1446357664,1446357212][/DOUBLEPOST]

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

I bet she can hold her liquor...

by the ears.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

TIL party fog machines will set off the building fire alarm. Can't wait for all the complaints in the morning. :p

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I knew we wouldn't get any trick-or-treaters even if they passed our door, so I hung a bag of candy from the door knocker and put up a Happy Halloween sign. It got a few bites, which is good, but I said take a handful, and if people listened then they have tiny hands. There's still way too much candy left.

Adam

Adam

Better lighting (and posing)

Had 90+ treaters and at least 5 groups wanted a pic with me. Good times :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Celt Z

Celt Z

Better lighting (and posing)

Had 90+ treaters and at least 5 groups wanted a pic with me. Good times :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I would have asked for a photo! Anytime I ran into some dressed as an Avenger yesterday (mainly kids), I made it a point to say hi to my "team mates". (It's hard to see in the outdoor photo, but I added the Avengers logo to my leather jacket. Some kids didn't know the outfit, but they recognized the "A".)

Dei

Dei

Yeah I'm pretty sure my daughter is going to be sneaking candy into her mouth all day. I don't bother to hide her candy because she's usually pretty good at self moderation, but this might be the year she proves me wrong.

Besides, what's the point of getting 11 pounds of candy if you can't learn a life lesson by making yourself sick eating it?! :p

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

The trunk-or-treat that we started the evening with had a bird display... I made a new friend!

GasBandit

GasBandit

PatrThom

PatrThom

The trunk-or-treat that we started the evening with had a bird display... I made a new friend!
Please tell me you're dressed as The Shoveler.

--Patrick

GasBandit

GasBandit

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

Please tell me you're dressed as The Shoveler.

--Patrick
Sorry, no... just my SCA armor. Because I'm a cheapass and didn't want to shell out for a costume.

Bubble181

Bubble181

[DOUBLEPOST=1446357664,1446357212][/DOUBLEPOST]
I like the butt pug, but I'm afraid I don't know who the second set are.

Gared

Gared

We had a ton of trick or treaters last night - way more than last night. Probably because we have such a safe neighborhood traffic-wise. It was good, I won't have nearly as much candy to take to work tomorrow morning.

fade

fade

A pumpkin and Peter, Peter, pumpkin-eater.

From a nursery rhyme.

Bubble181

Bubble181

I'd never heard of that nursery rhyme, so that explains my lack of understanding. Thank you.

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

They come from a nursery rhyme:

Peter, Peter, pumpkin eater,
Had a wife but couldn't keep her.
He put her in a pumpkin shell,
And there he kept her very well.

Edit: Dammit, Fade-Ninja!

Shannow

Shannow

Didn't have a chance to get anything new this year, so I used last years costume back here in New York with some friends.

So, the Red Skull was drinking with his henchman and a ghost rider whose flame went out, thinking about what led his life up to this point...

Bubble181

Bubble181

Didn't have a chance to get anything new this year, so I used last years costume back here in New York with some friends.

So, the Red Skull was drinking with his henchman and a ghost rider whose flame went out, thinking about what led his life up to this point...

Where the heck did you come from all of a sudden?! :p

Shannow

Shannow

Where the heck did you come from all of a sudden?! :p

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

This was for Hal-Con, but it's close enough to Halloween to count.

My sister and her family dressed as The Incredibles.

blotsfan

blotsfan

You couldn't join them as Jack Jack?

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

You couldn't join them as Jack Jack?
Friday was enough con for me.

evilmike

evilmike

Inspired idea -- I might have to try and steal it for next year:
Reverse Trick-or-Treating

redthirtyone

redthirtyone

In other news

Seriously? What kind of moron do you have to be to show up at a military base checkpoint dressed as a suicide bomber? Even if it IS Halloween.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Stupid dog! You made me look bad!

Fun Size

Fun Size

Here's the halloween album I had when I was a kid. I used to listen to it all the time, even when it wasn't october!

Holy crap! I've been looking for that for years. I never forgot the water bit, because as a kid I couldn't figure out what was scary about dripping water. Apparently, the fear was to be found in amazingly racist stereotypes.

Dei

Dei

For those who delight in the misery of children. (And really, who doesn't?!)