Help me find a low cost printer

Status
Not open for further replies.

figmentPez

Staff member
I had been planning to use my grandfather's old printer but it won't feed documents at all, it just has constant paper jams. So I need something to print out school work. It doesn't have to be anything amazing, but I would like it to be relatively cheap and somewhat reliable.

I haven't paid any attention to the printer market in years. Can anyone save me a ton of time I can't spare for doing research?

There aren't many out there. Lexmark has essentially decided to get out of the printing business. I think HP basically has the monopoly on low-end printers, but you have to go with what's important to you - cost and/or reliability.

When I get home I'll check the brand on our printer so I can recommend you not get that brand. It was cheap, but seems to forget rather frequently that it's a printer. You want to copy something? Excellent! I know I'm a copier! You want to scan something? Excellent! I know I'm a scanner! You want to print something?! What the hell are you thinking?! I'm not a printer! I'm a copier and a scanner.

GasBandit

Staff member
The fact of the matter is a laser printer that isn't complete shit will run you at least $150, closer to $200. I've never had an inkjet that really went the distance, something always went wrong within 2 years (heads getting too far out of alignment, feed problems, etc).

I recommend you just find your nearest kinko's and use as needed. Or get a part time office job that has access to a printer.

Brother isn't bad. Them and HP are pretty much it. There's a few other companies, but those are the only two I'd go for. It's almost just as easy to go to best buy or walmart and find out which ones they have on sale.

Ink will always be expensive, it's how they make their money.

Here's a cheap-o brother on sale for $55. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16828113777
If you don't need color, here's a brother laser printer on sale for $70. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16828113587

I'm sure it'll last you a couple years as long as you don't stack stuff on it and beat the hell out of it. And honestly, for that price it's hard to say it isn't worth it.

Canon is the brand of my printer, and was the brand of my last printer as well. I do not recommend them. Every time I have to change the ink in mine, the drivers (please don't ask why, it makes no sense to me) have to be completely wiped from the computers and reinstalled. And, since the damn thing can't seem to print B&W unless the color inks are full, that happens a lot.

Is Kodak out of the printer business?
Yes. They shed printers when their business started to go downhill. This was a shame, as they had specifically developed a printer which required less ink than its competitors (or the same amount of a less-expensive ink), which was very attractive. Lexmark inkjets are gone now, too (they still do laser, though). That pretty much leaves Canon, hp, and Epson.

If you are looking for the absolute lowest cost per page, or you don't want your ink to bleed, you will want to investigate laser printers, but they have a very high initial cost and when you do finally have to refill the toner, you'll pay quite a bit. If you will be printing a lot of photos, avoid hp since the least expensive hp inkjets' dithering of colors shows up more than Epson or Canon (this is the trade-off of fewer colors of ink carts).

You can pretty much expect to get shafted either way. Honestly, unless you print more than 30 pages/month, you might be better off just running down to the office place store for your printouts. The cost per print will be higher, but you won't have to deal with buying a printer, throwing away dried-up cartridges, etc.

--Patrick

figmentPez

Staff member
I'm thinking I'm probably just going to end up printing at one of the computer labs on campus. It's a pain, but it'll work.

Status
Not open for further replies.