Export thread

Hey mister, turn off the old people music

WolfOfOdin

This is what was said to me at work today.

The song I was playing? Led Zepplin's When the Levee Breaks.

I was told, earnestly, to put on Fallout Boy instead, since they're 'sooooo much better'.

I gotta be honest folks, today is the first time I felt old and had the urge to beat a teenager with a pool cue.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

If you do it, just hope a middle aged cop comes to arrest you. He would likely hand-cuff the kid and leave the 2 of you alone in a small room.

Andromache

the revenge is, in 10 years that teenage punk will be in your shoes when someone walks up to him and tells him to play the "Mutant Ass Rats" cause they are sooo much better.

If you excuse me, I have a stairway to climb....

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

I wouldn't have been able to have words for that situation.... just brutal brutal beatings with a concrete cinder block....

General Specific

General Specific

I'd have laughed in that idiot's face

Seraphyn

Seraphyn

Heh, luckily not all kids end up like the one you ran into.

Andromache

I wouldn't have been able to have words for that situation.... just brutal brutal beatings with a concrete cinder block....
you do that even when people are being nice.

http://songza.fm/~b81ur1

rac3r_x

rac3r_x

I continue to weep for the future of music.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

you do that even when people are being nice.

http://songza.fm/~b81ur1
Yeah but with them I wouldn't be singing "Welcome to the Jungle" while I do it.

fade

fade

Well I can't say anything in support of Fallout Boy, but I don't care much for Zepplin either.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

Well I can't say anything in support of Fallout Boy, but I don't care much for Zepplin either.
Well we know how much your opinion matters now. :slywink:

Charlie Don't Surf

The Lovely Boehner

Why yes, I also condone physical violence when someone has a different music opinion than mine.

Sidebar: Fall Out Boy owns

Andromache

Well we know how much your opinion matters now. :slywink:
shit, the guy has no good taste in anything, and he thinks he's perfectly normal. It's ok. just don't point it out, or he'll secretly take offense.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

Why yes, I also condone physical violence when someone has a different music opinion than mine.

Your post, taken as a whole, was a very nice compliment to my reply. Thank you Charlie. :slywink:

fade

fade

Et tu, Crone?

Andromache

Et tu, Crone?

hardly a surprise, my man. i don't mind you, but your tastes in everything except your art style and your women suck.

fade

fade

What else is there besides art and women?
[/Bukowski]

Andromache

well, music, for one.

Gusto

Gusto

My immediate reaction to that story is the following:

What the fuck? Where do you work, that you have music playing in the background and yet people feel like they can walk up and make requests?

I've worked in customer service for years and that has never happened to me... Kind wish it would now.

rac3r_x

rac3r_x

This somehow reminds me of the recent Time 100 list of the best guitar players I heard about the other day. The top ten did not include, Stevie Ray Vaughn, Eddie Van Halen, nor Jimmy Paige. :eek:rly:

Cuyval Dar

This somehow reminds me of the recent Time 100 list of the best guitar players I heard about the other day. The top ten did not include, Stevie Ray Vaughn, Eddie Van Halen, nor Jimmy Paige. :eek:rly:
Had the Jonas Brothers,though, I'll bet.

Vytamindi

Vytamindi

My dad let me grow up listening to whatever music I wanted to (went through a huge Backstreet Boys phase... don't judge), but still exposed me to all types of music. He exposed me to Metallica, Lynyrd Skynyrd (one of my few fond memories of him was the concert we attended to see them, or what's left of them), Led Zeppelin, and the like. Even if I didn't like them at the time (which wasn't the case because I have been listening to classic rock radio stations for most of my life), he still made me listen to them whenever I was in his truck.

My mom, on the other hand, is responsible for my love of soft rock music by making me listen to Billy Joel, Elton John, Bread, The Beatles (which really are in a category on their own), Carpenters, etc.

What I'm trying to say, with many parenthetical anecdotes, kids SHOULD know this stuff or at least have heard it... which is what I'm trying to do with my music classes this year. They need to learn or at least be able to deduce that Paul McCartney is NOT Jesse McCartney's father, and that Green Day has been around MUCH longer before they "sold out."

Baaahhh.... the world today...

TL;DR version: Kids need to get off mah lawn.

Fun Size

Fun Size

My dad let me grow up listening to whatever music I wanted to (went through a huge Backstreet Boys phase... don't judge), but still exposed me to all types of music. He exposed me to Metallica, Lynyrd Skynyrd (one of my few fond memories of him was the concert we attended to see them, or what's left of them), Led Zeppelin, and the like. Even if I didn't like them at the time (which wasn't the case because I have been listening to classic rock radio stations for most of my life), he still made me listen to them whenever I was in his truck.

My mom, on the other hand, is responsible for my love of soft rock music by making me listen to Billy Joel, Elton John, Bread, The Beatles (which really are in a category on their own), Carpenters, etc.

What I'm trying to say, with many parenthetical anecdotes, kids SHOULD know this stuff or at least have heard it... which is what I'm trying to do with my music classes this year. They need to learn or at least be able to deduce that Paul McCartney is NOT Jesse McCartney's father, and that Green Day has been around MUCH longer before they "sold out."

Baaahhh.... the world today...

TL;DR version: Kids need to get off mah lawn.
I'm sorry, I tried to read that, but once I got to "Backstreet Boys", I couldn't concentrate, what with all the judging.

Vytamindi

Vytamindi

I'm sorry, I tried to read that, but once I got to "Backstreet Boys", I couldn't concentrate, what with all the judging.
Yea, when typing it I kinda zoned out after that... Any mention of BSB sends me into post traumatic shock as well as the deep seas of regret.

Mmmmm!!! M&Ms!

Cuyval Dar

Same here.

blotsfan

blotsfan

But when you guys were younger, you always loved older music and never cared for the trash of the day?

wana10

well now i'm humming zeppelin to myself. time to take a break with my mp3 player...

on a side note, during the katrina crisis that song was in my head on endless loop

rac3r_x

rac3r_x

10 years from now the Mighty Zep will still be played/studied/enjoyed, Fallout Boy at best will be a minor foot note in music history. Kinda like Coolio vs. Weird Al, if anyone remembers that little spat.

Mmmm Zeppelin...

Now where'd I leave that 3 ft. Graphix?

*Journeys to the Pelennor Fields aka happy place*

Iaculus

But when you guys were younger, you always loved older music and never cared for the trash of the day?
Actually, yes. Comes of my alarm clock/radio always being set for Radio 2 when I needed to get up early for school.

Ahh, memories...

Cuyval Dar

Actually, yes. Comes of my alarm clock/radio always being set for Radio 2 when I needed to get up early for school.

Ahh, memories...
This.

figmentPez

figmentPez

Next time, put on [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Kashmir-London-Philharmonic-Orchestra-Scholes/dp/B0000040V8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1251393483&sr=8-1"]this version of When the Levee Breaks[/ame] and see if you can break their fragile little mind.

Shakey

Shakey

I prefer
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vp8-tJTUWto"]YouTube - Stairway to Heaven by Dolly Parton[/ame]

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

I like Fall Out Boy, but I also like Zeppelin. I'd never ask someone to turn off one of LZ's better songs for FOB, though, that's just crazy talk.

General Specific

General Specific

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNc5o9TU0t0"]YouTube - Stairway to Heaven live (Rodrigo y Gabriela)[/ame]

Calleja

Calleja

there are certain bands and artists that are eternal, and are re-adopted by new generations over and over again, and can, ergo, never really be considered "old people music".

Zepellin, Who, Doors, Beatles, Queen, Floyd... bands that will be heard forever. It's just a sign of how the general populace can be so fracking ignorant if they fail to at least recognize these. They don't have to like them, fine, but not even recognize and respect?? Heathens.

Cuyval Dar

there are certain bands and artists that are eternal, and are re-adopted by new generations over and over again, and can, ergo, never really be considered "old people music".

Zepellin, Who, Doors, [STRIKE]Beatles[/STRIKE], Queen, Floyd... bands that will be heard forever. It's just a sign of how the general populace can be so fracking ignorant if they fail to at least recognize these. They don't have to like them, fine, but not even recognize and respect?? Heathens.
FTFY

Calleja

Calleja

The Beatles haven't been making music since 1969. They exploded into the world in 1962. They're still the number 2 most searched wiki article almost 50 years later.

Fifty years.

You don't have to like them, but not even recognize and respect?? Troll.

Allen who is Quiet

Allen, who is Quiet

screw the young people. play even older music.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

screw the young people. play even older music.
^this

Bob Wills, Louis Prima, Billie Holiday, Sinatra, Nat King Cole, and Hank Williams get heavy rotation on my MP3.

Allen who is Quiet

Allen, who is Quiet

play swing
get charlestoning
???
profit

Andromache

Fuck, you want old?

Play some Wagner, Bach, and Beethoven.

Calleja

Calleja

I go even older, I not seldomly play Mozart, Rachmaninoff, Chopin, Beethoven.

Seriously, next time you're bored as fuck and have nothing to do, smoke a joint and play some loud Wagner. You'll feel like a kid watching Star Wars for the first time.

---------- Post added at 01:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:25 PM ----------

goddammit amy!

Jake

Jake

Et tu, Crone?
Dammit, now I'm going to pronounce it Croné in my head. :angry:

Andromache

hehe it doesn't like that mark

Jake

Jake

hehe it doesn't like that mark
Ha! Jake: 1, editor: 0.

Calleja

Calleja

áéíóú el burro sabe más que tú

Jake

Jake

áéíóú el burro sabe más que tú
El burro es mi verga.

Calleja

Calleja

the donkey is your dick?

That's a weird antropomorphization

Jake

Jake

the donkey is your dick?

That's a weird antropomorphization

Calleja

Calleja

Oh man, you would have gotten rep for that if it still existed.

Jake

Jake

Oh man, you would have gotten rep for that if it still existed.
And now you have a Halloween costume idea.

You're welcome.

Calleja

Calleja

If Captain Hammer was too obscure for a costume down here, Captain Burro is going to be triply so.

Fun Size

Fun Size

Dammit Jake, now I'm craving coffee.

Vytamindi

Vytamindi

WTF? Oh, I win. I listen to gregorian chants and cave music. NO! I LISTEN TO DINOSAUR ROCK!! AND GOD MUSIC!!!

Calleja

Calleja

Yeah? I listen to the thunderous melody of the FRACKING BIG BANG! HAH!

Cuyval Dar

Yeah? I listen to the thunderous melody of the FRACKING BIG BANG! HAH!
I listen to the video of myself and your girlfriend.

Vytamindi

Vytamindi

I listen to the video of myself and your girlfriend.
"OH SNAP!!!" Said God when he heard the phat beetz created by his work. And then he rested.... all up in his hizzouse.

Cuyval Dar

"OH SNAP!!!" Said God when he heard the phat beetz created by his work. And then he rested.... all up in his hizzouse.
True dat, holmes.

WolfOfOdin

:p I switched it to the Inkspots

Shannow

Shannow

AND GOD MUSIC!!!
Manowar?

Calleja

Calleja

Gusto

Gusto

Not quite but yeah.

Calleja

Calleja

:(

meyoumeyou

Fuck, you want old?

Play some Wagner, Bach, and Beethoven.

Fuck you want old? find a cave, wrap yourself in animal skins, beat rocks together and grunt.

Also, I view this more as just plain someone with no appreciation of music in general than just an age thing. Though it is maybe more occurent with younger ages, I know of plenty of 30-40 + types with godawful tastes musically.

Gusto

Gusto

Fuck, you want old?

Listen to and BE SURROUNDED BY soothing rhythmic tones, as Earth's molten core churns the primordial ooze.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

I submit that Over The Hills And Far Away is better than Stairway To Heaven.

Silvanesti

I submit that Over The Hills And Far Away is better than Stairway To Heaven.
blasphemy

Calleja

Calleja

Burn him. Stab him.

Andromache

Fuck, you want old?

Listen to and BE SURROUNDED BY soothing rhythmic tones, as Earth's molten core churns the primordial ooze.
fuck you, the radiation emissions of the big bang.

Cat

Cat

no ragtime, no care

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Wow, there was this line of jokes, and then other posters made the same line of jokes beneath it. It was like a rhythm of some sort...

Anyway, Zeppelin was done years and years before I was born and they're one of my favorite bands. Floyd too, but they were still making new music after I was born.

Come to think of it, I believe my dad played Zeppelin, but he never encouraged it on us. I can tell... I inherited the rock from my dad, my sister got my mom's shitty country music.

Norris

Norris

I was told, earnestly, to put on Fallout Boy instead, since they're 'sooooo much better'.

I gotta be honest folks, today is the first time I felt old and had the urge to beat a teenager with a pool cue.
That person deserves to be smacked for making my entire generation look fucking stupid. Personally, when I got my car, I tuned in to the local classic rock station and ripped the knob off (figuratively).
When one says seriously that Whiny White Boy is better than Zep, it's ceased being a matter of opinion and entered into the realm of too dumb to live. :p How you can fail to see such a thing is......
Oh, your taste is bad too. That clarifies it some.

Allen who is Quiet

Allen, who is Quiet

although, I guess if you really want to listen to the oldest music possible, you just listen to whatever Dave listened to when he was young

crono1224

This devolved just right into new music is bad and poorly made etc etc. I like fall out boy, I wouldn't force it on someone or say their music sucks. That kid just seems like an ass anywho. But i certainly wouldn't murder someone for a choice in music :D.

figmentPez

figmentPez

although, I guess if you really want to listen to the oldest music possible, you just listen to whatever Dave listened to when he was young
Wouldn't that loud bang hurt your ears?

Allen who is Quiet

Allen, who is Quiet

pfft, the big bang.

When Ed was a boy, they didn't have universes. They had rocks.

Cajungal

Cajungal

Yikes. :( "Damn kids."

O well, every age has had both terrible and great music (<--or any other art/entertainment medium). And just because something is better technique-wise doesn't mean that people aren't allowed to prefer it.

Charlie Don't Surf

The Lovely Boehner

no ragtime, no care

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Stella was a fucking terrible show. Micheal Ian Black is almost as funny as Margret Cho.

Wahad

Wahad

pfft, the big bang.

When Ed was a boy, they didn't have universes. They had rocks.
That's when he was a teenager. When he was pre-teen, they just had gases.

figmentPez

figmentPez

You guys have got it all wrong. Ed is so old, all he had to play with was raw chaos, and he was happy! He didn't have any of those new fangled rocks or gasses that came with pre-made mollecular structure! He had be creative and come up with his own games to play with pure nothingness. Us young whipper-snappers don't know how good we have it. Walking to school in a blizzard, uphill both ways? Ha! Try walking when there's no ground to stand on, and temperature hasn't been invented yet!

Vytamindi

Vytamindi

And in space... no one can hear you scream @_@

MisterSteve

MisterSteve

Some music is just timeless. And you generally have to be an adult to appreciate it, or even comprehend it's timeless quality. Come back to that kid in 20 years and see if you get a different reaction.

How many people were metal heads and steered clear of some of the best music on earth for half their life? Steely Dan, Fleetwood Mac, Billy Joel, etc. I even considered RUSH to be poseurs when I was a kid. We are very narrow minded when we are young.

Charlie Don't Surf

The Lovely Boehner

Stella was a fucking terrible show. Micheal Ian Black is almost as funny as Margret Cho.
and your august 2009 nominee for the worst post ever, right here, yayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Gill Kaiser

Don't think all young people today have terrible taste in music. Lots do, but me and some of my friends have been into all the old classics for a decade. The vast majority of my music collection is from the seventies and earlier, and runs the gamut from blues, swing, rock in many of its forms and guises, rock and roll, bluegrass, classical, jazz, funk, soul, rhythm & blues, singer/songwriters, pre-war stuff, crooners, certain film, anime and video game soundtracks, and whatever else.

I know that taste is subjective, but not totally subjective. We all know that tonnes of modern music is utter garbage. There is some good music out there today, but you really have to dig through the crap to find it. Radio stations nowadays are a joke. Thank god for the internet, or I might be similarly unenlightened. There, but for the grace of the web, would go I.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

and your august 2009 nominee for the worst post ever, right here, yayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy
Oh no I disagreed with your opinion :(

But yeah, Stella was terrible, the guys aren't funny at all, and the comparison to Margaret Cho was an insult since she's not funny either.

fade

fade

I'll just go ahead and extrapolate that to Michael Ian Black isn't funny ever. His lackluster jokes have all the laugh inducing power of a flu shot.

Sparhawk

Sparhawk

They need to learn or at least be able to deduce that Paul McCartney is NOT Jesse McCartney's father
WTH! When did this come out! He's not his dad now! HOLY HIGH-KICKERS! What's next, he's not Jenny McCarthy's dad either?

HoboNinja

HoboNinja

This is what was said to me at work today.

The song I was playing? Led Zepplin's When the Levee Breaks.

I am only 20 and I actually do like FOB to an extent, their old stuff is pretty good... but Led is far superior.

Led Zepplin is in all ways one of the best bands ever.

Terrik

Terrik

There are two kinds of fools in the world: One who believes that it is new, and therefore better. The other is one who believes that it old, and therefore good.

I like oldies myself, because my father use to listen to them all the time as I was growing up. However, you have to acknowledge that styles then and now are quite different, and one can easily have preference over one than the other, without having a lack of 'taste'.