How can anyone not want Scribblenauts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

JCM

What other game has "attach steak to a baby to attract a lion" in its ESRB rating?

So, is this some sort of top secret video game document or something? What's up with the stuff being fuzzed out?

C

Chibibar

Cat said:
Some people can't handle how rad it would be to jump over a baby on a bike.
I'm kinda sad on "steak can be attached to babies to attract lions" what a waste of a good steak.

I really enjoyed Drawn to Life and this being made by the same people so I have pretty high hopes for it. Plus it looks just awesome itself.

Yeah, I'm not buying too many DS games these days but this one will be mine.

Also, JCM, can't remember which thread but I saw you recommend for me The World Ends With You. That is absolutely the next RPG I get. (I'm still working on both Phantom Hourglass AND Chrono Trigger.)

J

JCM

ZenMonkey said:
Yeah, I'm not buying too many DS games these days but this one will be mine.

Also, JCM, can't remember which thread but I saw you recommend for me The World Ends With You. That is absolutely the next RPG I get. (I'm still working on both Phantom Hourglass AND Chrono Trigger.)
Just be prepared to cry. Luiza did.

Damn Square and its ability to make you care too much for some %¨$# pixels.

Cry? I'm not so sure... but there are definitely points in the game when I definitely felt for Neku. They just kept piling shit on his plate and all he could do was endure it. Still, the ending makes all that suffering he went through worth it.

J

JCM

Actually, my favourite story was Joshua, yeah about half the forum that played TWEWY hates him, but he´s like a fucking Hamlet-type tragic figure.
[spoiler:3nxfw45p]Imagine living your life being able to see the UG and RG, knowing that people who die in the RG will be forced to play in the game, seeing the noise kill player after player while the RG considers you crazy, and in the UG you are an outlaw. Add his sacrifice, and his superior attacks (it hurts being stuck with Beat after levelling up Joshua´s overpowered attacks), and youve got one great character.[/spoiler:3nxfw45p]

JCM said:
Actually, my favourite story was Joshua, yeah about half the forum that played TWEWY hates him, but he´s like a fucking Hamlet-type tragic figure.
[spoiler:6odd1xc0]Imagine living your life being able to see the UG and RG, knowing that people who die in the RG will be forced to play in the game, seeing the noise kill player after player while the RG considers you crazy, and in the UG you are an outlaw. Add his sacrifice, and his superior attacks (it hurts being stuck with Beat after levelling up Joshua´s overpowered attacks), and youve got one great character.[/spoiler:6odd1xc0]
Yeah, you really feel for him right up until [spoiler:6odd1xc0]you find out HE'S the Creator and all of this... the Noise, the deaths, the petty manipulation... was all happening on a WHIM to him. That it's a fucking game to him. Oh and that he fucking murdered Neku to get him into the game, just so he could have the perfect person to do it.. Right about then you fucking realize that he IS an enormous douche and that he deserved worse than he got. It doesn't help that in the ending he gets away scott free after all the stuff he pulled.[/spoiler:6odd1xc0]

I know those TWEWY spoilers are already spoilered, but just to run off any who are tempted, those are some HUGE spoilers. Don't look. Don't even think about it, we can't be held responsible if you do.

J

JCM

AshburnerX said:
JCM said:
[spoiler:29nm10tr]Imagine living your life being able to see the UG and RG, knowing that people who die in the RG will be forced to play in the game, seeing the noise kill player after player while the RG considers you crazy, and in the UG you are an outlaw. Add his sacrifice, and his superior attacks (it hurts being stuck with Beat after levelling up Joshua´s overpowered attacks), and youve got one great character.[/spoiler:29nm10tr]
Yeah, you really feel for him right up until [spoiler:29nm10tr]you find out HE'S the Creator and all of this... the Noise, the deaths, the petty manipulation... was all happening on a WHIM to him. That it's a fucking game to him. Oh and that he fucking murdered Neku to get him into the game, just so he could have the perfect person to do it.. Right about then you fucking realize that he IS an enormous douche and that he deserved worse than he got. It doesn't help that in the ending he gets away scott free after all the stuff he pulled.[/spoiler:29nm10tr]
Shhh.... I said that for the guys who stopped playing because of joshua.... some people might read that and the best twist ending ever will be spoiled. :twisted:

[spoiler:29nm10tr]Not only that, but Joshua seems to be a mix of Joshua (who created the laws of Israel) and Jesus ("Yeshua" in hebrew", add cruxification poses, and turning himself from semi-god Composer to a human), something akin to God deciding whether he´d destroy Sodom-Gamorrha, with Hanekoma serving as Satan. Neku proved that humanity can change, and that Shibuya deserves to continue its existence.[/spoiler:29nm10tr]
Edit:If you havnt played TWEWY, dont read!!!!

Because I was bored, I decided to decipher the scrambled part. This is the best I can come up with, just from squinting at it:

The ESRB maybe said:
This is a puzzle game in which players navigate a series of traps, puzzles, and enemies to collect stars scattered throughout the colorful levels. Players have the ability to summon different objects by writing/typing in the word (e.g., bike, spaceship, lion) and watch it come to life. If multiple words are entered in a sequence, different whimsical scenarios can be triggered: a bicycle can be used to jump over a baby; a bulldozer can clear away a shark; and cabbage can be fed to dinosaurs. Players can elect to summon "cartoony" versions of ????, ????, guns and flamethrowers. These types of items can be used to destroy objects or even other summoned items [e.g., a club can be used to hit an animal, steak can be attached to a baby to attract lions; rockets can be lobbed at a man). These triggered animations are minimally depicted and are usually accompanied by popping, musical sound effects, bright, star-shaped flashes, or small puffs of smoke. If players wish to, they may type in the word vomit, which causes a beige-colored lump to appear on the screen.

figmentPez

Staff member
From Kotaku:
How About Scribblenauts On Other Platforms, Eh?

VG247: Is there any chance of this ever coming to other platforms? It would work well on PC, for example.

MF: Unfortunately, I cannot comment on it at this point. But the concept would definitely work on other platforms as well and we've seen gamers from very different backgrounds pick it up and enjoy it equally.
It would be so awesome to see this game make it to the PC and other platforms. (Hmmm.... combined with project Natal on the 360....)

Shhh.... I said that for the guys who stopped playing because of joshua.... some people might read that and the best twist ending ever will be spoiled. :twisted:

[spoiler:x6uynl8z]Not only that, but Joshua seems to be a mix of Joshua (who created the laws of Israel) and Jesus ("Yeshua" in hebrew", add cruxification poses, and turning himself from semi-god Composer to a human), something akin to God deciding whether he´d destroy Sodom-Gamorrha, with Hanekoma serving as Satan. Neku proved that humanity can change, and that Shibuya deserves to continue its existence.[/spoiler:x6uynl8z]
Edit:If you havnt played TWEWY, dont read!!!![/quote]

All i can say is there had better be a sequel coming or at least something with similar game mechanics. I can understand them not wanting to re-use the same setting, but I'd love to see another story using this system.

Necronic

Staff member
JCM said:
I just wonder if "Chuck Norris" is a valid word.
I was listening to the rebel FM podcast and supposedly aside from obscene words, they were pretty much unable to find ANYTHING that wasn't in there. Like, waffle iron to chuck norris.

Someone spawned a bunch of vampires, then put in "Vampire Hunter" and someone like Vampire Hunter D showed up and started killing them all.

This game looks major tits.

J

JCM

Necronic said:
JCM said:
I just wonder if "Chuck Norris" is a valid word.
I was listening to the rebel FM podcast and supposedly aside from obscene words, they were pretty much unable to find ANYTHING that wasn't in there. Like, waffle iron to chuck norris.

Someone spawned a bunch of vampires, then put in "Vampire Hunter" and someone like Vampire Hunter D showed up and started killing them all.

This game looks major tits.
I remember an interview where they said they used wikipedia's directories, so basically anything that gives a wikipedia page should workm but Im not sure one may use celebrities.

figmentPez

Staff member
JCM said:
I remember an interview where they said they used wikipedia's directories, so basically anything that gives a wikipedia page should workm but Im not sure one may use celebrities.
They've said they're not doing proper nouns (though Cthulhu seems to belie that). So they'll have superhero but not Superman. In a Nintendo Power interview they said:

NP: What are the restrictions on the things you can conjure up?

Jeremiah Slaczka: On the ratings side nothing vulgar, copyrighted, suggested or overtly religious. On the gameplay side we're restricting it to just no proper nouns and adjectives.
another interesting tidbit:

JS: We had inadvertantly discovered out-of-control bunny reproduction at one point; two bunnies would multiply to infinity, which crashed the game, and I think an elephant somehow picked up a bazooka with its trunk and started firing madly.
NP also offered these formulas, with illustration:
Sword + Cow = Meat
Moon + Villain = Werewolf
Man + Zombie = Another Zombie

R

Reboneer

Ravenpoe said:
Because I was bored, I decided to decipher the scrambled part. This is the best I can come up with, just from squinting at it:
Hate to break it to you, but you wasted your time... Someone already linked to the full text in the first few posts of the thread. The words you missed were "bats" and "bombs".

This is a puzzle game in which players navigate a series of traps, puzzles, and enemies to collect stars scattered throughout the colorful levels. Players have the ability to summon different objects by writing/typing in the word (e.g., bike, spaceship, lion) and watching it come to life. If multiple words are entered in a sequence, different whimsical scenarios can be triggered: a bicycle can be used to jump over a baby; a bulldozer can clear away a shark; and cabbage can be fed to dinosaurs. Players can elect to summon "cartoony" versions of bats, bombs, guns, and flamethrowers. These types of items can be used to destroy objects or even other summoned items (e.g., a club can be used to hit an animal; steak can be attached to a baby to attract lions; rockets can be lobbed at a man). These triggered animations are minimally depicted and are usually accompanied by popping, musical sound effects; bright, star-shaped flashes; or small puffs of smoke. If players wish to, they may type in the word vomit, which causes a beige-colored lump to appear on the screen.

Status
Not open for further replies.