How do you feel about public speaking?

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I was eight years old, I starred in our school play "Really Rosie." During my big opening solo, I fell right down three stairs leading up to the stage. The collective gasp of an auditorium full of parents and friends forever rings in my head. I got back up and kept singing.

Never had a fear of public speaking. After that incident, the fear of embarrassing myself in front of a big crowd of people seemed silly since I'd already done about the best job possible.
Wow, that is very similar to the story Drew Barrymore told Monday night on The Tonight Show.

Wait a second...

Wow, that is very similar to the story Drew Barrymore told Monday night on The Tonight Show.

Wait a second...
Really? I promise I'm not ripping her off. I can get my mom to verify if necessary. She probably has other "hilarious" stories about when I was a kid actor at a children's theatre at the age of 5. Luckily all the humiliation served me well as a sign language interpreter, especially for theatrical-type events.

Wait a second...
Really? I promise I'm not ripping her off. I can get my mom to verify if necessary. She probably has other "hilarious" stories about when I was a kid actor at a children's theatre at the age of 5. Luckily all the humiliation served me well as a sign language interpreter, especially for theatrical-type events.[/QUOTE]
Actually, I was making a joke that you were Drew, putting a twist on the story.

I should have been more clear with my joking.

A

Alex B.

Not a big fan, but I'm better now than I used to be. After a semester or two of college and having to present (and sit through) occasional presentations, I realized that the person speaking is the only one who cares and will remember the experience the next day. After that it got a lot easier.

I should start a course. Public Speaking via Apathy.

When I was eight years old, I starred in our school play \"Really Rosie.\" During my big opening solo, I fell right down three stairs leading up to the stage. The collective gasp of an auditorium full of parents and friends forever rings in my head. I got back up and kept singing.

Never had a fear of public speaking. After that incident, the fear of embarrassing myself in front of a big crowd of people seemed silly since I'd already done about the best job possible.
Mine was a near miss, but having lived through it, I realized that nothing could measure up to the humiliation that it would have been, and have been essentially fearless ever since.

It terrifies me, but I do it anyway, because for the most part, whether it's classrooms, presentations, public service, training, or whatever, you're going to have to do it, and do it well, to succeed.

Cajungal

Staff member
Speaking of speaking...

I just got out of a presentation about an hour ago, and I DOMINATED. They learned their United States regions so hard.

L

LordRavage

I hate public speaking.

If Public came up to me and started to speak, I would pretend I have a friend on the other side of the club and totally walk away.

figmentPez

Staff member
It's weird, in a small-ish group of people I don't know, I'm usually very quiet. At a dinner party or something, where it's not a group I know well, I probably just sit and listen as long as the conversation isn't directed my way.

On the other hand, I love public speaking. If I'm supposed to be the one that people are paying attention to, then I have absolutely no problem speaking, or leading for that matter.

I never had a problem with public speaking, as long as I'm talking about something I know. If I had to memorize a speech for a class project that was a problem, until I eventually learned how to memorize things better; but I'm still much better at having a few talking points and ad-libbing from there.

Several of my recent jobs have required me to take on the role of a trainer, in front of a class of incoming employees and I love doing that.

North_Ranger

Staff member
Dislike it.

Acting in public? Sure.

Making myself an ass while acting in public? No prob.

Streaking while acting in public? As long as I get to keep my hat on.

But ask me to speak non-stop about something for 15 minutes... God, I hate that.

I both love and loathe it. And this goes for pretty much all social interaction.

If I'm switched on, I love it. And I'm good at it. I'm charming, I'm funny, I'm in the spotlight and people are fucking awed.

If I'm not, I feel very minimalistic, and don't really want to go through the effort of being as charming and funny as people know me to be. It's probably why I'm mostly a lurker on these boards.

Mostly.

Y

Yavaux

I would imagine everyonme with no clothes on, then take off my own. that's right, who wants some?

Status
Not open for further replies.