[TV] How I Met Your Mother

Just watched the episode "Time Travelers." Loved it.
This series has always been hilarious, but I think the most important aspect of it is just how "true to life" it accomplishes with so many episodes.

Just watched the episode "Time Travelers." Loved it.
This series has always been hilarious, but I think the most important aspect of it is just how "true to life" it accomplishes with so many episodes.
Yea, I was really surprised how quickly that episode when from being okay to really great, if not a bit depressing.

It's depressing until you consider our advanced knowledge that he will live happily ever after. In fact it's quite touching with that in mind.

Edit:
Hmm. With some thought I do see some depressing elements that I had not considered at first. It's that life moves on. Now that I'm married and with kids I don't have the time that I used to to just pal around with friends. I'm lucky to see them every few weeks. This episode doesn't really focus on the characters in my position or their viewpoints, but it does bring up good memories of all-nighters gone by.

Those poor kids having to listen to an 8 year story of how their parents meet. To only spend about 30 minutes on actually meeting mom...

Those poor kids having to listen to an 8 year story of how their parents meet. To only spend about 30 minutes on actually meeting mom...
Why did we have to wait three 3-hour movies for some Hobbits to throw a ring into a volcano?

Like any good story it's the journey that matters.

That moment when they revealed he was all alone absolutely broke my heart.

And honest, I hope we don't just get 30 minutes on the mom. Didn't the show get renewed for another season? Honestly, I thought it would've been clever to say "How I Met Your Mother" is when one of their kids are born. After all, the show isn't called "How I Met Your Wife."

I'm really disappointed that it won't end the way I always thought it would, honestly the most fitting ending I think:

The gang does some wacky shenanigans
They go to McLarens
Ted sees girl at bar, goes up to her
"Hi. I'm Ted"
"Hi. I'm blahblahblah"
And that is how I met your mother.

Also apparently they filmed the ending with the kids 6 years ago, so they'll be involved.

Also apparently they filmed the ending with the kids 6 years ago, so they'll be involved.
They wanted the story to seem like it was being told to the kids in one afternoon. So they shot a bunch of reactions from the kids that they would reuse throughout the show. You'll notice that they are always wearing the same clothing in every shot, except in the pilot and in instances where they use the "WHAAAAAT?" remark from the kids (which is reused footage from the pilot). This must be a nice situation for the actors who play the kids, because they will get residual checks every time footage is reused.

Well any fears I had about a last minute final season appear to be quelled. Last nights 1 hour premiere was great.

I'm guessing this entire season is going to take place during the 2 days surrounding Barney and Robin's wedding. Everyone else will meet the mother at some point, while Ted will only meet her at the very end. Probably resulting in some near misses throughout the season. They have set this one up very well so far. I like how Marshall is stuck on a road trip with the sassy black woman, which is going to postpone resolution of their pending move to Italy which will ruin Marshall's chance to be a judge.
I also enjoy how, even though we will likely have to wait for Ted to meet his wife in the finale, we will probably get to see them interacting together in a series of flash-forwards. The one used in the season premier was very sweet, and I can't wait to see more. The actress they picked for his wife is perfect. She's a cute little thing and so far her interactions with the main cast have been adorably funny.

I think the producers stated somewhere that the entire season 9 takes place during the wedding.

They're probably going to focus on how everybody meets The Mother and how she and Ted fall in love with each other (at least I hope so, otherwise this season is kinda pointless). Wrap up everything the mentioned about her before, like yellow umbrella, economics class during Ted's first class, etc

So I finally caught up on this show through Netflix, but the Season 9 premiere (1 and 2) aren't available online anywhere. Anyone know of a place I could watch them?

they're not on CBS.com? I know they stream episodes, but I don't know how big a backlog they keep. You can also always get them from iTunes

It was available for free on demand via U-verse back when it first aired. Don't know if that's the case anymore.