How to make Poutine properly

Status
Not open for further replies.
Step 1 : Preheat oven or deep fryer according to directions on frozen French fries package. If you prefer to make your own fries from scratch, by all means. Poutine is certainly worthy of such an effort. You may slightly spice them up in future consumption.

Step 2 : Bake or fry the French fries (or Freedom fries depending on how south you are). Depending on your chosen method, bake or deep fry the French fries until they are slightly crisp and deliciously edible. (While this is going on, go to Step 3)

Step 3 : Prepare the gravy. Follow the package directions to prepare the brown gravy, allowing it plenty of time to thicken

Step 4 : Once your fries are done immediately place them in bowls or on plates (or in my case in a one big bowl), and sprinkle 1 cm (or for those with older measuring systems, 1/2 an inch) over fresh cheese curds liberally. Fresh cheese curds are the best for this recipe because they will soften without melting completely.

Step 5 : Carefully pour hot gravy over the curds and fries. This will keep the fries warm and soften the curds in an ever-so delicious way. Your final product should look something like this.

Step 6 : EAT IT. Post here. Share your experiences!!!

God damn I loves me some poutine.

I really hate when I order it somewhere I've never been and I get shredded mozza or cheddar on fries with some gravy. That shit ain't poutine.

Poutine is a weird dish to me. When I hear it described with words, I am like hell yeah, sign me up for that. But when I see a picture, I am like whoa. Sorry, fuck that. I am still gonna definitely try it when I have the chance though, Matt Murdock style

Wait, that's another thing. I've recently been told it's really rare for Americans to put gravy on fries at all. Is this true? Because shit man, you don't go to a Canadian diner or anything without them asking you if you want gravy on your fries.

fade

Staff member
I have never seen gravy on fries. I do like fries with melted cheese, bacon bits, and ranch, though. That's a heart attack on a plate, but damn good.

M

makare

Wait, that's another thing. I've recently been told it's really rare for Americans to put gravy on fries at all. Is this true? Because shit man, you don't go to a Canadian diner or anything without them asking you if you want gravy on your fries.
I don't think we often have fries with gravy as a standard side but if you order a dish that comes with gravy you can get fries instead of mashed potatoes.

A

Armadillo

American version, known as "Disco Fries":

Apparently, it's big in NYC and surrounding areas. Shredded cheese as opposed to curd.

You'd think that with all the fresh cheese curds where I live (Minnesota/Wisconsin), we'd have more poutine here, but it's not to be. We fry our curds, bitches:

Hey, I moved from the Cheese Capital of Canada to the most monopolistic depressed dairy market in the country, I'll take whatever fresh curds I can get!

R

RocketGirl

Yanno, I keep hearing about this poutine stuff. Never had it.

W

Wasabi Poptart

I have to agree with Charlie. I hear it and think "gravy, fries and cheese...mmmm". I see the pictures and wonder why anyone would eat that.

I've got fries... I've got the deep fryer still hot from earlier... but no gravy or cheese curds and I don't feel like going back out to the store. Perhaps tomorrow.

First of all, packaged gravy???? There's no way that's OM NOM material.

Second, yes, some of us southern americans do eat gravy with our "freedom fries". However, it's a cream/white gravy, not brown. We eat brown gravy with roast beef or other beef dishes. That brings me back to point one. You NEED meat bits and animal fat to make a proper gravy. It doesn't come from a package!!

Yes, I have heard of poutine, but I didn't know it had cheese curds in it though.

Cajungal

Staff member
^Gotta agree with this. It's much faster and much more convenient, but real gravy tastes so much better. I'll have to make this after Christmas. Until then i have to behave, food-wise.

mmm... post disappeared.

Anyways, we buy this St-Hubert poutine gravy sauce. They make some great stuff and it's cheap and easy to use.

Don't know what you guys got for alternatives.

---------- Post added at 11:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:55 PM ----------

That road probably ends with you getting subpar poutine possibly at a brothel. Worse things could happen.
Surprise butt sex. But would it truly be worse than bad poutine?

Perhaps I shall have to take a trip 'cross the border to visit canuckistan and tempt my gaping maw with this delightful dish.

Where should I go that's within reasonable driving distance to Detroit to taste this canuckistanian dish?

Apparently I can get a version of it locally that's just ducky.
That would mean Ontario right. Wouldn't know. I'd rather have people create it themselves than have their experienced ruined by sub-par poutine from restos who can't do it.

If any of you are around Montreal, any time, I'm treating to free poutine. Except for you Frankie!

---------- Post added 12-10-2009 at 12:00 AM ---------- Previous post was 12-09-2009 at 11:59 PM ----------

Also, we don't really call them freedom fries. Not 99.9% of us... We're not all that bad. :(
It's tongue in cheek, mrs sing-a-lot.

:heart:

Status
Not open for further replies.