[Question] How to tell if a scanner is dying?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know it's like, "Who actually uses a scanner anymore?" but bear with me:

I got a Lexmark X2350 All-in-one printer/scanner a long time ago, mostly to replace the other piece of crap Lexmark products I owned (and the scanner that I no longer own that was so wonky under XP that I doubt it would have made it to Windows 7).

Recently, I've been having issues with this thing, mostly in the scanning department. Using TWAIN to scan a document into Paintshop Pro X4, the thing freezes up. I have to essentially unplug it, plug it back in, reconnect the USB and turn it on - and it finally recognizes the scanner and I can scan stuff again.

Now, normally I'd think this was an issue with PSP - and it might be, for all I know - but the thing is sounding a bit strange when I'm scanning stuff. Anyone else out there have any ideas on whether it's time to buy a new printer/scanner (if they actually exist out there)?

I'd recommend trying to scan some sort of registration test to make sure the stepper is still working, the sensors good, that sort of thing. Otherwise, if it's a scanner, and it's still working, then just keep using it until it stops*.

--Patrick
*Says the current owner of a UMAX Astra 1200S.

Status
Not open for further replies.