[Music] I don't want to alarm anyone - but Lady GaGa is back

The new album is so fucking good, and lightyears ahead of the last one that I pretty much heard twice and never thought about again for my life. If you didn't like the second one, give this a shot. I'm bad at talking about music, but it feels more bombastic and weird than The Fame (Monster) in the best ways.

Dave

Staff member
:puke:

I tried listening to her last one and it was nothing more than horribly processed crap. It is the musical equivalent of filler food. Yeah, it's there and it gets the job done, but ultimately it's bad for you and you feel guilty for having consumed it.

All I've heard so far is Applause, and it's eh.

I still feel kind of weird towards Lady Gaga because I feel like she kind of used pandering to the gay community as a stepping stone on her career.

Dave

Staff member
I still feel kind of weird towards Lady Gaga because I feel like she kind of used pandering to the gay community as a stepping stone on her career.
This is an extremely insightful sentence. She didn't just back the gay community, she went over the top and made it almost synonymous with her as a brand. It made it too easy to undermine one by ridiculing the other by those who would do such.

This is an extremely insightful sentence. She didn't just back the gay community, she went over the top and made it almost synonymous with her as a brand. It made it too easy to undermine one by ridiculing the other by those who would do such.
I don't know. She created a song that she promoted as an LGBT anthem of sorts. Whether she realized there was a market for one and created the song to profit from it, or created the song as a natural product of her artistry isn't easily discerned.

But she's a very, very shrewd businessperson, and it would surprise me if her artistic output isn't as carefully calculated and intentional as her outfits and marketing.

It would be hard to make the case that what she's done has been detrimental to the LGBT rights movement, though. One could question whether she turned activists into fans, or fans into activists, but even though she obviously profited from it the overall effect has been positive for activists.

In all honesty, I'd prefer being insulted over being pandered to. At least those insulting are being honest.
At least Margaret Cho is part of the scene and an activist.

Also, Stienman nailed it on the head, GaGa is a businesswoman first and an artist second. She's a fiscal genius when it comes to the media industry. If her intentions are business related or not when it comes to the LGBT community is true or not, she's done alot to further causes and been a huge part of movements if at least in lyrics.

GasBandit

Staff member
The only thing I remember about Margaret Cho is her stand up routine that consisted mainly of offering to sell her unwanted vagina to be used as a book repository.

Eh, I generally know what I support, but yeah, I'm not exactly what you'd call "down for the struggle" I suppose.
It's ok, at least you're not faking it like others, whom shall not be named but had a hissy fit recently and left the forum for the 9th or 10th time.