I haven't played since just after BC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
So since the S is supposed to hit the fan tonight I thought I'd get a 10 day trial and see what was up.

I joined ghostland as a dwarf priest named Fyrstayde (see what I did there?) and everything seems so different yet familiar. It's weird, really. Like I don't remember where anything is but when I find it I'm like "oh yeah, there it is"

And I had forgotten about how buying spells works. It also seems like the default hotkeys changed.

Anyway. Any tips for someone trying to get back in? Also, how do I join the guild?

When I upgrade to a full account, will I have to go back and get BC and Wrath of the LK to get access to the new stuff like death knight? Or can I just get Cata and everything will be included?

I joined ghostland as a dwarf priest named Fyrstayde (see what I did there?) and everything seems so different yet familiar. It's weird, really. Like I don't remember where anything is but when I find it I'm like "oh yeah, there it is"
Well it is going to be a lot different just by the nature of the interface changes, including the extreme ones that happened in 4.0. One big thing you should notice is that skills no longer require ranks, and once you own a skill it just automatically scales to be stronger as you grow in levels. Because of this, the skills themselves were spread out much more, in order to give you at least one new skill ever 2-4 levels. Also, the talent trees you will notice have gotten smaller, and you only gain a talent point every odd level.

Anyway. Any tips for someone trying to get back in? Also, how do I join the guild?
Right now just get used to the new skill system, and prepare to pick a specialization at level 10. The lower levels both mana and health regen are increased by large amounts, so you shouldn't have a lot of downtime. Also, I actually recommend waiting to start a character till tomorrow, mostly because you then can enjoy the whole new leveling experience.

When I upgrade to a full account, will I have to go back and get BC and Wrath of the LK to get access to the new stuff like death knight? Or can I just get Cata and everything will be included?
You have to buy both BC and Wrath in order to open up that content, but both vanilla and BC should be pretty cheap by now.

I was hoping I'd only need to get cataclysm. That kind of sucks but oh well. I wonder if I have my disks anywhere. I don't remember if during my last move I put them somewhere or said "fuck I'll never play this again" and tossed them. Hopefully I can buy them and just get BC for now while I level.

Do you still have your old account? Blizz has a re-activation process of some kind so people can get their old toons back. Plus, if it had BC already, you wouldn't need to re-buy that key on top of the Wrath key.

Do you still have your old account? Blizz has a re-activation process of some kind so people can get their old toons back. Plus, if it had BC already, you wouldn't need to re-buy that key on top of the Wrath key.[/QUOTE]

I never got BC. I could see if maybe they still have it on file or something. that would save me some money if I can just re-activate it. I'd be surprised if I could get my old warrior back though.

---------- Post added at 06:34 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:31 AM ----------

holy shit they still have it!

Ok so I can just buy time for my old account, link it to my battle.net and play on that, right? then I'd just have to get BC, Wrath and when I'm ready, cata. right?

Ok so I can just buy time for my old account, link it to my battle.net and play on that, right? then I'd just have to get BC, Wrath and when I'm ready, cata. right?
Yes, that would be correct. You can even purchase it on battle.net, I think.

They never remove accounts. You can always hunt an old account down if you have it. As for getting BC, WOTLK, and Cata, you might want to check out some deals happening this week due to Black Friday. I know a few places were having great deals on the battlechests, though I have not found one for WOTLK yet.

Another thing to keep in mind is that you don't really need to buy any expansions until you get to lvl 60... and this is a great time to make a newbie since old world just got blasted today.

I quit playing just a little into BC. I went through 2 PC's and could not find my disks at first, Blizz let me DL Vanilla and BC, then activate the code from my purchase of the xpac.

bummer, my friend bought vanilla when it came out and never played. I saw it at his house this weekend. It would have been a good eBay sell.

Just coming back to point out that Blizzard is having a major sale right now, just in case you wanted to take advantage of it.

Blizzard Store

BC $5 and WOTLK $10

Arggg darn it Dei! Barely beat me. :p

Dave

Staff member
Yes. A bunch of us do. I will when I get my video card fixed. Whenever I get it fixed. My onboard graphics won't play it.

C

Chibibar

my wife and I may start on a new server, but she is pretty tied to runetotem mainly our mains are there. We may move server but that cost money.

School's hit me pretty hard these past couple of weeks but I'm still around, just not much lately. Luckily most of this stuff will be done with by Dec 7.

J

Jiarn

Been working on my 10th level 80. I wanted to experience the 1-80 game in the new zones. I'll probably make an 11th 80 to experience then 1-80 side on the other faction as well.

I'll be on Ghostlands a little after the 7th.

I am taking most of the week off to play the expansion. Thank Cod, for 300+ unused hours of vacation time.

Dave

Staff member
I'm hoping to get a new video card soon soon soon.

I have to worry about bills & stuff first.

I've made a whole bunch of new characters since last week, sadly most of them will probably never get past 60 since that's when new content ends.

Status
Not open for further replies.