Export thread

I LOVE Technical Support Chats

doomdragon6

doomdragon6

Screw Tech Support over the phone. I love it when there's a chatbox method to talk with technical support.

It's a nice, calm, detailed chat, with no worry over accents or not being able to think for a moment.

Everytime I web chat with Technical Support, it is such a pleasant experience and nearly all of my problems are solved.

Just wanted to say this for some reason.

Dei

Dei

I love that I don't need to sit through them trying to tell me shit, feeling rude cutting them off. I can just wait for them to finish typing while yelling at my kids for being crazy monkeys then say no. ;)

Chibibar

Chat is good. There are times where accent/line quality is really bad and I can't understand them. Also when it comes to steps on fixing stuff, it is easier to read a list instead of trying to figure out what they are saying.

Espy

Espy

I love tech chat as well. So simple.

Of course they get creeped out when I tell them I'm totally naked and ask their a/s/l?:Leyla:

GasBandit

GasBandit

I also prefer chat tech support to phone. Like was said above - at least then the copypasta'd script doesn't waste as much time and we can more quickly get to escalating my ticket to someone who might actually understand what's going on here, because believe me, if I'M needing tech support, I'm gonna need a tier 3 support guy.

PatrThom

PatrThom

because believe me, if I'M needing tech support, I'm gonna need a tier 3 support guy.
I heard that!

My favorite support guy so far: the DSL "technician" sent to my house who told me I shouldn't have moved the DSL box into another room (where I had wired a new outlet), and that was probably why my Internet was down.

He learned a lot that day.

--Patrick

GasBandit

GasBandit

I heard that!

My favorite support guy so far: the DSL "technician" sent to my house who told me I shouldn't have moved the DSL box into another room (where I had wired a new outlet), and that was probably why my Internet was down.

--Patrick
Lemme guess your reaction -

Chibibar

I heard that!

--Patrick
I remember my 2am LinkSys tech support. I called in KNOWING my router is dead. I already follow the manual and even did a full reset and still won't come on. Heck, I even bought a unit with a plug and just want my original replace. The guy (with heavy accent) insist of REDO EVERY single step I did before TWICE before shipping me a new unit.

After an hour on the phone, he came to the same conclusion I told him in the first 5 minutes. Heck, I even told him everything I did and he still want to redo it.. bleh.
gotta love script Tech

PatrThom

PatrThom

Lemme guess your reaction
Actually, it was more like, "I had such high hopes, but now you have dashed them and I must be patient with you."

I finally conclusively demonstrated that it was the router's fault by plugging it directly into the network interface while he watched (thereby bypassing all of the inside wiring) and having it still fail to sync up.

--Patrick

ncts_dodge_man

ncts_dodge_man

I use the support chat or support email system whenever possible - it's much easier to convey everything you've done already - at work I am responsible for the company's desktops - including when they have issues covered by warranty repairs - I list every step I do in diagnosing the issue and 95+% of the time I get back an equivalent of "yup, part is borked and we'll send a new one" vs spending whoever knows how long while I wait for a script-reader to figure out the exact same thing. Being in tech support myself, I know that not everyone is as technically inclined, so it's nice to be on the "here's what I already did" list and not have to ask - makes things much quicker.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

I can't tell you how much I prefer the gender neutrality of internet chat as well. Anytime a customer service rep has spoken to me on the phone or hell even a technician in person when there's an issue with one of my systems, I can't begin to tell you how quickly they start talking down to me. I literally shut one of the technicians up by just letting him VIEW my computer's case. I told him "I know exactly what's wrong with it. This router is dead." He still spent over 2hrs in my house (looking at every corner of the place he could too) while trying to flirt with me, half because I was female, the other was because of my rig.

The same is said when I'm PROVIDING the service. I spent some time as a customer service rep for a bank over the phone and the moment that a male business man wanted to tell me his online/tech issue he'd immediately sigh because he heard me speak.

At least with online chat I can make a name like "Bucklikestorhymemyname" and get assistance faster.

Chibibar

I can't tell you how much I prefer the gender neutrality of internet chat as well. Anytime a customer service rep has spoken to me on the phone or hell even a technician in person when there's an issue with one of my systems, I can't begin to tell you how quickly they start talking down to me. I literally shut one of the technicians up by just letting him VIEW my computer's case. I told him "I know exactly what's wrong with it. This router is dead." He still spent over 2hrs in my house (looking at every corner of the place he could too) while trying to flirt with me, half because I was female, the other was because of my rig.

The same is said when I'm PROVIDING the service. I spent some time as a customer service rep for a bank over the phone and the moment that a male business man wanted to tell me his online/tech issue he'd immediately sigh because he heard me speak.

At least with online chat I can make a name like "Bucklikestorhymemyname" and get assistance faster.
Well hot chick with a gaming rig is many male's fantasy.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

I can understand that, to an extent, but cmon, this is a service call. He puposelly stalled after I clearly told him what the problem was to continue his attempts.

I was in a peculiar mood that day, so I wasn't my usual brunt/dismissing self. I let him talk, ignoring him after it was clear he wasn't going to listen to me.

Chibibar

I can understand that, to an extent, but cmon, this is a service call. He puposelly stalled after I clearly told him what the problem was to continue his attempts.

I was in a peculiar mood that day, so I wasn't my usual brunt/dismissing self. I let him talk, ignoring him after it was clear he wasn't going to listen to me.
I know, but when a guy start thinking with his other head, there is no hope after that ;)

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

By "peculiar mood," she means merciful... which we know Shego is not...... This is either a very poor troll, or Shego's been hacked...
Added at: 17:58

Chibibar

By "peculiar mood," she means merciful... which we know Shego is not...... This is either a very poor troll, or Shego's been hacked...
Well she can go meh. It was a guy after all so she just want it fix so if the guy finally get around to it, it will be fix. Fighting him would probably "arouse" the guy which would be counter productive.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Well, as we all know, a woman gaming online must mean you're fat, ugly or slutty.. and since he personally was able to cross off the first two, he was hoping the third would just kick in if he could just bide his time a little longer...

fade

fade

Whoa,
Whoa,
Whoa,
Whoa,
Whoa.

Did you just sort-of compliment someone?

LittleSin

LittleSin

I hated working Comcast tech support for the same reasons Shego stated. I even had a guy immediately demand a male support worker because women aren't 'technologically inclined'.

This man did not know what a router was or where his modem was located. He told me I was making up equipment. How do you even respond to that in a way that will allow you to keep your job?

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

Well if I openly admitted that I strangled him with the network cable attached to the router he said was fine, then bludgeoned his unconscious body with said router till it shattered in pieces, proceeded to take the body into my "laundry room" to reduce the body size to manageable pieces then had the most successful BBQ stand at that month's "brisket" cook-off, then I'd get all kinds of investigations begun my way and I've had enough of that for a lifetime, let me tell you.

Well, as we all know, a woman gaming online must mean you'refat, ugly or slutty.. and since he personally was able to cross off the first two, he was hoping the third would just kick in if he could just bide his time a little longer...
Which what most of the people on my TF2 servers completely believe about me, considering the obscenities I hear after winning a round, with clip upon clip of headshots.

I hated working Comcast tech support for the same reasons Shego stated. I even had a guy immediately demand a male support worker because women aren't 'technologically inclined'.
This man did not know what a router was or where his modem was located. He told me I was making up equipment. How do you even respond to that in a way that will allow you to keep your job?

Very very carefully, I know I had to. The few that I spoke to, that requested male assistance, told me that women were terrible with money and we couldn't help balance a checkbook because we spent it all on frivolous things. I made sure his banking life was hell for the next few months with a few well placed emails/changes to his account info.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Whoa,
Whoa,
Whoa,
Whoa,
Whoa.

Did you just sort-of compliment someone?
I give out backhanded compliments all the time, fade - you're not all that stupid, I know you must notice them.

fade

fade

I give out backhanded compliments all the time, fade - you're not all that stupid, I know you must notice them.
fry.jpg

GasBandit

GasBandit

Which what most of the people on my TF2 servers completely believe about me, considering the obscenities I hear after winning a round, with clip upon clip of headshots.
Could be worse, you could be in this guild.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

Isn't Guild Wars mostly Korean? If so, that makes total sense. (Not bashing on the entire Race, just saying that women's rights there aren't exactly kosher) Either way, yes I've come across that ALOT. That didn't look like a guild chat though, more like a General Channel.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Isn't Guild Wars mostly Korean? If so, that makes total sense. (Not bashing on the entire Race, just saying that women's rights there aren't exactly kosher) Either way, yes I've come across that ALOT. That didn't look like a guild chat though, more like a General Channel.
Not sure. I've heard that about Lineage, but I've known a fair number of american GW players.

LittleSin

LittleSin

WTF did I just read?

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

10 year olds with internet access: The Graphic Novel

Jax

Jax

Very very carefully, I know I had to. The few that I spoke to, that requested male assistance, told me that women were terrible with money and we couldn't help balance a checkbook because we spent it all on frivolous things. I made sure his banking life was hell for the next few months with a few well placed emails/changes to his account info.
There's the Shego we all know.

1. Record the conversation
2. Play it for all of your colleagues and friends
3. ???????
4. PROFIT!!!

Jay

Jay

As long as I don't have to have a verbal conversation with "Jeff" from India, it's all good.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Am I the only male that enjoys speaking to a female tech support technician? In my unscientific experience, they tend to be nicer and more willing to talk with you.

Chibibar

Am I the only male that enjoys speaking to a female tech support technician? In my unscientific experience, they tend to be nicer and more willing to talk with you.
I do enjoy talking to tech support when said support listen and know what they are doing.
Male or Female doesn't matter. If you know what you are talking about, I'll listen.

But when I start a conversation (phone) I usually tell ALL the basic info they need like Name, Address, phone number, serial number, make model of the IT part and what I have done so far to try to resolve the issue and the first question was

What is you name?
then you lost me.