I'm making a hamburger...

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

makare

As the topic says, I am making a hamburger. But I don't know how to cook. So what do you guys put in your hamburger before you pattierize it?

Also for those who are ok with me NOT just Googling it, how long should I cook it and on how high? I only have an electric frying pan.

I'm making a hamberger...

Defrost.
Patty (keep area clean).
Grill is best. Bake at 400 degrees, 9 minutes each side if you can't grill.

M

makare

I have neither a grill nor an oven. All I have is an electric frying pan.

I add bacon grease to mine, as well as salt and black pepper.
If I am feeling adventurous, I will also add some combination of: minced garlic or onion, seasoned salt, cracker/bread crumbs, soy sauce, sesame oil, lemon juice, vinegar, dill pickle juice, dry mustard, or whatever other herb/seasoning tickles my fancy.

Pat them back and forth by hand to warm up the fat and loosen them up, then squash them as flat and disc-like as you can. They will cook very quickly (might want a spatter guard!) and you can turn them over as soon as they develop a crust on the bottom side. Heat the pan until a water drop dances on it (375-400F).

Or you can make thickburgers (more like mini meat loaves) but you will need to reduce the temperature enough (300-325 tops) to be able to cook them all the way through before the outsides burn.

--Patrick

I have no experience with /electric/ frying pans but I usually do mine in a cast iron pan on high heat for 8-10 minutes. It kind of varies what I'm doing with my patty, but I put in some cayenne, some rosemary and crushed garlic the last time I made patties and it was pretty good.

Honestly, I'm of the opinion that there is no hard and fast rule on time, just watch it and flip it until it's the doneness that you want. I also usually don't add anything to my hamburgers when cooking them except for maybe a little pepper.

I usually just add a bit of minced onion into mine and put on some salt and pepper and garlic if I have it. You definitely want to work it with your hands for awhile since it makes it tastier. If you have the ingredients Id try Patrick's but my basic method usually tastes pretty good too.

Minced garlic/onion, salt, pepper, breadcrumbs (1/4 cup crumbs to 1 lb of meat is a good measure). Maybe a dash of barbecue sauce, if I'm feeling like it.

As to the frying pan, can't help you there, unfortunately. Grill, baby, grill.

We rarely season our patties, but when we do we usually include shredded onions, garlic, pepper, salt, etc.

As far as cooking, heat the pan to medium or medium high, wait for it to get hot enough that water drops dance on it, then put the flattened patty on.

When the juices come to the top, flip it over and cook a little longer (look at the bottom to see if it's browned if you aren't sure).

I usually make sure the patty is under 3/4" thick, and also press it in the pan while it's cooking.

But I like my burgers well done, so you may want to alter this if you prefer medium or rare.

Should be on the order of 5-10 minutes for a single patty, depending on the thickness of the patty and the burner heat output.

M

makare

Ok so I made the hamburger. I just added salt because that is all I have and I think burgers without salt are bland city.

Then I fried it in the pan until i was pretty sure it was done. Then I ate it. So that is the completion of this week's makare Makes a Hamburger.

Although on a side note, I HATE touching raw meat. YUCK.

Thanks everyone for your input except Phil who totally put me in panic mode about setting off a smoke detector. Thanks a lot.

If your smoke detector doesn't go off when you're cooking, you're not really cooking...

---------- Post added at 08:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:09 PM ----------

Although on a side note, I HATE touching raw meat. YUCK.
I made a hamburger patty once that required the use of raw eggs, so I was thoroughly squishing raw meat mixed with raw eggs with my hands. It was less than pleasant, but the results were quite good...

I like creole on chicken and catfish, not so much on a burger. We (my family) make our own blend, though, so your mileage may vary. We also make our own fajita seasoning, taco seasoning, curry blend, and a 'southwestern' style seasoning mix.

And come to think of it, adding soy sauce to a burger might work out well.

And come to think of it, adding soy sauce to a burger might work out well.
You'd be amazed how much difference a couple tablespoons of soy sauce will make to a pot of rich beef stew. Or, for that matter, adding a glass of hearty red wine or a dark, rich Belgian ale. Mmm...

Also, Kati would like to add that adding jerk seasoning to pork burgers will take you in an entirely different delicious direction.

--Patrick

I'm a big fan of adding everything and anything anyone can think of to burger patties. Wooster, salt, pepper, garlic, onion, I generally use crushed soda crackers rather than bread crumbs, etc. I've mixed ketchup into the raw meat before cooking (which was yummy as hell).

Burger patties are pretty much good with whatever the hell you want in them.

I add bacon grease to mine, as well as salt and black pepper.
If I am feeling adventurous, I will also add some combination of: minced garlic or onion, seasoned salt, cracker/bread crumbs, soy sauce, sesame oil, lemon juice, vinegar, dill pickle juice, dry mustard, or whatever other herb/seasoning tickles my fancy.
How is it that only one person in this thread has even mentioned dried mustard?

Just got done making the following burgers for dinner and they were delicious

Asian Turkey Burger with Sriracha Mayo: A Turkey Burger That Doesn't Suck | Serious Eats : Recipes

• For the mayo:
  • 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
  • 1 tablespoon Sriracha (or make your own!)
  • For the burgers:
  • 1 1/2 lbs ground turkey, 85% lean
  • 1/2 cup Panko bread crumbs
  • 1/4 cup finely chopped cilantro
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 2 scallions, finely chopped
  • 3 tablespoons soy sauce
  • 1 tablespoon sesame oil
  • 1 tablespoon minced ginger
  • 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
  • Bibb lettuce
  • 1 tomato, cut into 1/4-inch slices
  • Hamburger buns
  • Type of fire: direct
  • Grill heat: medium-high

I don't have a grill so I ended up using a frying pan on medium-high heat but it was still so very good.

M

makare

This is all WAAAY too much work for food.

Also, best ingredient for burgers- the blood of the innocent. It's so hard to find these days.

This is all WAAAY too much work for food.

Also, best ingredient for burgers- the blood of the innocent. It's so hard to find these days.
It's not so much that this is work for food. As you found, you can simply add salt and it will be palatable food. This is work expended for the opportunity to experience new and (possibly) exciting flavors.

M

makare

I'm more of the kind of person who would just eat plain rice or a baked potato to avoid having to cook. I really hate cooking.

I make grilled cheeses for the bun, add burger patty, onions tomato, miracle whip, mustard and bacon. Best burger ever.

M

Matt²

Go to restaurant
Pay $1 - $6 (depening on place)
Eat
Enjoy.
burp.

=D
Sorry, had to!

Go to restaurant
Pay $1 - $6 (depening on place)
Eat
Enjoy.
burp.

=D
Sorry, had to!
After your reaction on a simple recipe that Hylian posted (and thanks dude, I'll def try that next summer)... yeah pretty much this in quotes Makare.

M

makare

Or I could just eat what I actually want to make at home. I wasn't just responding to Hylian.

Status
Not open for further replies.