I'm sick, so AMA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cajungal

Staff member
I was gonna go out and actually do things today, but this cough is hanging on. So rest it is. Ask me questions to take my mind off this unpleasant Robitussin aftertaste!

Cajungal

Staff member
Have you had time to play your ukulele lately?
Yes! I had almost no time to practice during the 2nd quarter of school, but I practiced a lot over the Christmas break. I also played this morning. :) I got a bit rusty for a while, but I'm coming back. My brother gave me a quick theory refresher course, so I've been working on scales and picking.

Cajungal

Staff member
What was your favorite toy as a child? Do you still have it?
I had a few. 1: My 2 stuffed bears, Buddy and Betty. They were my first stuffed animals, and I still have them. Second, Nerf guns. We'd have neighborhood wars, and it was awesome. Third, not really a toy, but pen and paper. That's what I spent most of my time with, either drawing or writing stories.

Cajungal

Staff member
Do you have a family gumbo recipe? If so, will you share it?
My dad makes it, but it's not really a written down recipe... I'll describe what I have seen, heh.

He starts by chopping up fresh onions, bellpepper, celery, garlic, and parsley really fine. He then slices andouille puts that aside and starts browning fresh chicken thighs in the oven, rubbed with oil, salt and black/white/red pepper. While that's in the oven, he browns the sausage on the stove. He takes out the sausage, deglazes the pan, and adds a little oil with the fat that's already in the pan. When the oil heats up again, he adds flour and makes a dark roux. When it's about 30 seconds from the perfect color, he tosses in the vegetables. This slows the browning and keeps the roux from burning. When the vegetables have cooked for a couple of minutes, he throws in the meat and adds chicken stock and water. He leaves the skin on the hens when he puts them in. He simmers it slowly for a couple of hours until the broth looks rich and brown. He seasons with salt, the 3 peppers, and maybe some hot sauce. Serve over rice with fresh green onion and file'.

I really am not sure about the measurements. All I know is you want a LOT of dark meat for a good broth. It's really not hard. It takes time, but that's about it. If you can make a roux and chop, you can make a gumbo. And the store-bought wet roux's really aren't bad.

Cajungal

Staff member
Do you embody any cajun stereotypes?
I'm pretty stubborn, and a eat a lot. Like a lot of loud, boisterous, life-loving cultural groups, we see food as a cure-all. Down here, you're likely to talk about your next meal while elbow-deep in a pile of boiled crawfish. I definitely talk about food more than I should. In a lot of respects, I'm not like a lot of hardcore, Cajun women. I don't hunt or fish, I can't really grow anything, I can't dance, and I'm not Catholic (anymore).

What cajun food do you dislike the most?[DOUBLEPOST=1358042453][/DOUBLEPOST]If you were a mosquito, who on the forum would you bite for sustenance?

Cajungal

Staff member
Hog's head cheese. GROSS. Also, if I were to choose one dish I could do without, I'd choose etouffee. It's very tasty, but there are other Cajun dishes I like much more.

I'd bite Kags, because she's so sweet. ;)

Zappit

Staff member
Which superpower would you prefer: the ability to make others audibly fart at will, or the ability to always know where other people left things they can't find?

Cajungal

Staff member
Which superpower would you prefer: the ability to make others audibly fart at will, or the ability to always know where other people left things they can't find?
Oh man... the first one sounds like so much fun, and I would definitely use it... but I think I'd have to go with the finding ability. That's a skill I could sell. Maybe I could even get my own TV show. Plus, my poor mom's always losing her glasses.

There's a Halforums roadtrip. You have to fill three roles:
1) Who will be driving?
2) Who will create the Playlist/Provide music (maybe they can play it themselves!)
3) Who are you stuck in the backseat with? (not that way, you jerks.)

Cajungal

Staff member
There's a Halforums roadtrip. You have to fill three roles:
1) Who will be driving?
2) Who will create the Playlist/Provide music (maybe they can play it themselves!)
3) Who are you stuck in the backseat with? (not that way, you jerks.)
1) Dave, of course, will drive. It'll be fun to hear him threaten to turn the car around and deny us bathroom breaks.

2) General Specific seems to like cool music, so he can bring CDs and mp3s. Espy can play us some original tunes.

3) Gusto and I comment on whatever's on the DVD player, MindDetective can talk to me about interesting research, Bumble the Boy Wonder can start games of pictionary, Jay has started some interesting threads, so I think he would be a good conversation starter. And if Tinwhistler were still around, he'd be there too with homemade snacks.

Cajungal

Staff member
Have you ever had any broken bones? How did it happen?
Never broke a bone. I had a sprain once on my right ankle from tripping over a kid at recess. I couldn't put weight on it for about a week. After that I limped for another week, then I was back to normal. I was a notoriously cautious child and didn't do much that might result in broken limbs, I guess.

Cajungal

Staff member
Love is giving up on an elaborate murder plot, because you know that destroying him would result in very boring weekends.

Love is not getting what you want all the time but being happy because they are happy.

Love is forgetting there's anything going on outside your apartment for a few hours, eating ice cream, and watching Rifftrax.

Status
Not open for further replies.