Ken Griffey Jr retires; Cooperstown awaits in 2016.

Status
Not open for further replies.
In other news Detroit's Armando Galarraga lost his perfect game due to a horribly botched call by Jim Joyce.

Tell me again why major league baseball doesn't need some kind of replay system?

Dave

Staff member
I hate Detroit (being a Minnesota fan) but that call was SOOOOOO obvious.

Still, the ump didn't try and defend his position. Instead he apologized and was quoted as saying, "I just cost that kid a perfect game." He spoke with Galarraga and Jim Leland and they both know he feels like shit about it.

My brother is a huge Mariners fan and he is all bummed out over Ken Griffey Jr retiring. He is even wearing his King Griffey Jr Shirt to work. Me on the other hand I am not a sports person and so I couldn't really give a care.

'bout time.

Joking aside, the only question now is whether or not he will be unanimous on the ballot in 2016.

ElJuski

Staff member
Time to play Ken Griffey Jr. Slugfest 99' today in his honor.

"WOW! LOOK AT THAT! A ONE HANDED GRAB!"

"NAILED HIM!"

"LOOK AT THAT GOLDEN GLOVE!"

'bout time.

Joking aside, the only question now is whether or not he will be unanimous on the ballot in 2016.
If Tom Seaver wasn't a unanimous Hall of Fame ballot, no one will be.

Which, by the way, sportwriters, who the fuck do you think you are, saying "Nah, I mean he dominated at his position for most of a decade, and set numerous records, but is he Hall of Fame material? I vote no." That is asinine.

Sportwriters are increasingly crazy and/or petty about voting. They're using it to get attention, make stupid statements, or punish players for perceived off-field offenses.

To be honest, there are some players that shouldn't be nominated for the Hall of Fame.

Al Leiter, for example. He's a very likable guy, had a long career, knows a lot about the sport. But he's not a Hall of Fame pitcher. He was never in the top 5 among pitchers during his career in ERA, Strike-outs, Put-Outs or Fielding %. He's not in the top 100 in terms of wins. His only true record is of the most pitches thrown in one game, which is actually a dubious record of sorts.

The Hall of Fame has certain "magic numbers" and I find myself agreeing with those numbers, simply because of the sort of performance it takes to reach them. 3,000 hits, for example, means 15 200-hit seasons, which is incredible. 500 home runs, that's 50 per year, for ten years running. One every three 1/3 games, for ten solid years. 300 wins as a starting pitcher - that's 20 wins per year, for 15 years. These are marks of consistently peak performance.

Ken Griffey Jr. Retires with 630 home runs. See you in Cooperstown, Junior.

The BBWAA members admit their corruption not only publicly, but with pride. Members admit to not voting for obvious candidates because there was never a unanimous pick. Or because they felt someone didn't deserve to get in on the first ballot. Either he is a hall-of-famer or he isn't, jackass.

Status
Not open for further replies.