Last.fm

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, who's using this? I've had an account created since 2007, apparently, but I haven't used it since last night when a friend convinced me it can be fun.. giving you a view into your listening habits and it can recommend some good music, ala Pandora. I'm giving it a try, and it's interesting and kinda fun so far.

But it works better if you have people added as Friends... so... who wants to be my Last.fm friend? :D

http://www.last.fm/user/FCalleja

Eh, tried it for a while when it came out, that would've been years ago... I doubt my account is still around, and I didn't see much use for it.

Meh. Never really appealed to me. To get into new tunes I just turn up the radio. More of similar artists/tunes is just more of the same, which is rarely something I enjoy.

I just tried I really did. But as I added "stations" it only saved a few. I had like 20 artists that I'd put in and it saved maybe 5. Pandora is just better for me.

Turbo, you have to stop thinking of Last.fm as a similar service to Pandora. It's not.

It's more of a social thing, where you see what your friends have listened to, what their top-playing artists and songs are, and even what they're listening to NOW. It's also a really interesting experiment in seeing what YOU listen to and how often. Its stat keeping is pretty cool.

Plus, if you find a friend that has a sufficiently HIGH compatibility in taste with you, you can scan through his/her favorite artists and those you don't know you'll probably really like.

Pandora is to sit back and listen, Last.fm is to poke around.

Calleja said:
Turbo, you have to stop thinking of Last.fm as a similar service to Pandora. It's not.

It's more of a social thing, where you see what your friends have listened to, what their top-playing artists and songs are, and even what they're listening to NOW. It's also a really interesting experiment in seeing what YOU listen to and how often. Its stat keeping is pretty cool.

Plus, if you find a friend that has a sufficiently HIGH compatibility in taste with you, you can scan through his/her favorite artists and those you don't know you'll probably really like.

Pandora is to sit back and listen, Last.fm is to poke around.
But I apparently am unable to put in many artists, so instead of a statistical representation of my musical tastes you end up with a skewed microcosm. And now that I've said that most of them have appeared. :facepalm:

I guess they take a few minutes to show up.

edrondol is my last.fm name. Go figure.

The best way to use Last.fm is to "scrobble" your tracks. That is have your PC's media player send the track info to your Last.fm account. The most common way to do that is to download the scrobbling client Last.fm offers, which works with like all media players... I personally use the AWESOME Songbird with the Last.fm extension so I don't run any other little client.

If you add artists manually it doesn't capture the same type of stats.

-- less than a minute ago --

"Once Edrondol listens to more music, your compatibility score will be shown here."

lol

S

Singularity.EXE

Prepare for multiple-personality radio!

http://www.last.fm/user/SingularityX

We have rage-metal! We have alternative! We have techno! We have future pop! Turn up that radio for "Death Cab for Cutie" but keep your hands on that dial for Rammstein!

-- Wed Jul 15, 2009 3:58 pm --

Example:

System of a Down – Roulette full track
Guster – Jesus on the Radio
Death Cab for Cutie – New Candles
The Fray – Little House

So is there any way to mix up your artists and play through your playlist? I have no mp3 on this computer DUE to it being my work PC. And since I don't want to have to constantly click on a different style of music I'd like to have a mix.

Tip: load up the scrobbler on your home PC, turn your player of choice onto shuffle, then leave it overnight or several days. That'll load you up with a decent mix.

DarkAudit said:
Tip: load up the scrobbler on your home PC, turn your player of choice onto shuffle, then leave it overnight or several days. That'll load you up with a decent mix.
Good idea. First I'll have to scrub all my wife's and daughter's songs or I'll look like a big gayboy.

Krisken said:
DarkAudit said:
Ugh... have to use WMP. Blech. Ah well, guess I'll have to give that a shot.

For anyone who cares:
http://www.last.fm/user/Krisken1
Why do you have to use WMP? It supports WMP, iTunes, Winamp, and Foobar out of the box I think and you can get plugins for other programs.

Ok, I just friended all you.
HoboNinja said:
Krisken said:
DarkAudit said:
Ugh... have to use WMP. Blech. Ah well, guess I'll have to give that a shot.

For anyone who cares:
http://www.last.fm/user/Krisken1
Why do you have to use WMP? It supports WMP, iTunes, Winamp, and Foobar out of the box I think and you can get plugins for other programs.
I use Rhapsody, and the scrobbler for it is a pain in the ass to use. I tried to get it to work, but I'm pretty computer stupid.

If you're listening to the HF Group radio and a song comes on you don't like, can you ban the track or will it remove it for everyone if you do that?

S

Singularity.EXE

I have a feeling that I won't be listening to Halforum radio much, considering what low compatibility I've had with most of you.

Status
Not open for further replies.