LICD - Lar to re-draw first 125 comics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ross

Staff member
From a mass e-mail that Sohmer sends to the people on his forum:

How about I tell you about a little secret project that Lar and I have been working on for a few months now, which should debut in 2010. Between ourselves, we’ve decided to have Lar re-draw the first 125 LICD Strips, all the one done by Trevor, and release them in a special book entitled: Least I Could Do: Black & White.

This should be interesting...

Hmm. Not sure I like this or not.
Sure. I never did like the art in the original strips enough that I'd read them more than once, but it does feel a bit unfair to the original artist.

How is it unfair? He's not taking down the strips from the site, he's just putting the new strips in a book. I'm all for it, I'm definitely a Lars fan.

The way he draws them girlies.... :drool:

How is it unfair? He's not taking down the strips from the site, he's just putting the new strips in a book. I'm all for it, I'm definitely a Lars fan.

I guess. But it just kinda feels like replacing Sebastian Shaw with Hayden Christensen.

I guess. But it just kinda feels like replacing Sebastian Shaw with Hayden Christensen.[/QUOTE]

Except Lars is good at what he does and the first artist was kinda sorta not. Doesn't diminish the work he's done, but seriously that's not a very good analogy.

Ross

Staff member
I can see why it's being done, but I can also see that it's kind of a dick move. If I'm the original artist, I would be thinking this was a big "we like you, but don't think you're good enough" and/or "we just wanted to make the entire comic consistent and went back to remedy the inconsistency in the art" from LICD.

Again, the original artwork was already released on the website and will not change. It also is immortalized in the original LICD books. This is more of a "remake" if nothingelse, a tribute even.

I can see why it's being done, but I can also see that it's kind of a dick move. If I'm the original artist, I would be thinking this was a big "we like you, but don't think you're good enough" and/or "we just wanted to make the entire comic consistent and went back to remedy the inconsistency in the art" from LICD.
This is my thoughts.

I do like lars' work a lot. And it improves all the time.
I guess if they are just doing it as a book that can be purchased it's not a big deal. More of a side project.

S

Soliloquy

I'm gonna be honest -- I've never been able to read through the licd archive, simply because I didn't like the art.

H

Heavan

I wonder if they'll try to update Rayne's character, too. It always bothered me that the guy who wouldn't have sex with a girl because she was married (well, initially) once called a girl fat until she became anorexic, and blamed the fact that she was fat for his name calling. He was a legitimate jerk in the beginning, now he's just a self-centered nice guy.

H

Heavan

Rayne had a character development moment where he realized it was wrong to yell about how fat a girl was when she was standing right next to him?

Did I say he grew 100% into the perfect being? Nah. Does his character need to be made perfect from the first strip till now? Nah. He grew many times in the series, over different subjects and became a "better" person. Remaking it so he never did would really take away from it I think.

Green_Lantern

Staff member
question: Does this means that I shouldn't start reading this comic?

edit: Don't quite see the problem with him publishing the book, I mean, it is a bit of a money grabbing.

Status
Not open for further replies.