Looking for video game suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking for some suggestions for a new video game; either PS3 or 360. Something my wife and I could play together, either hotseating or two person. She likes RPG and RPG/shooters, I like turn based strategy games. Wii and PC games not an option.

Thanking you in advance,

HCGLNS

You could give Resident Evil 5 a shot, I thought the co-op was pretty fun and you really count on each other to keep yourselves alive.

Army of Two is a co-op, isn't it? I don't know what kind of reviews it got, though.

Any of the Lego games (Lego Star Wars, Batman, etc). They all have a second character following you around that can be controlled by another person.

J

JCM

General Specific said:
Any of the Lego games (Lego Star Wars, Batman, etc). They all have a second character following you around that can be controlled by another person.
This.

Luiza and I have finished all the three Lego games (For the DS the two Lego Star Wars games are condensed into on game), and its pretty fun to have both characters rush around for coins or try to solve the level puzzles.

figmentPez

Staff member
Shegokigo said:
RPG and Co-Op in the same request just does not compute.... :bush:
Baldur's Gate and BG2 offered co-op. Never played them that way, but I know it was possible. Some of the greatest PC RPGs of all time had co-op, and the request doesn't compute to you? WHY?

Anyway, as to the 360:

The X-men Legends games have RPG elements, and are pretty good multiplayer. HCGLNS might want to check out Marvel Ultimate Alliance, which I've heard is very much like Legends, but I haven't played it myself, yet.

Fable 2 has a co-op mode, but I'm pretty sure it requires two systems... nevermind, I checked and there does seem to be a local multi-player option.

Castle Crashers is a side-scrolling beat-em-up with minor RPG elements, but I've heard it's a lot of fun (I think a patch has come out fixing the bugs, but if it hasn't, they were mostly concerned with online multiplayer, not local)

I think Settlers of Catan and Carcassonne are on XBLA. Again, I haven't played them (I should probably mention I don't have an Xbox) but the games are highly rated. They're both strategy board games put into video game form.

-- Sat Jul 18, 2009 2:12 pm --

Shegokigo said:
I'll keep my Final Fantasy... Single player thank you very much.
Back when I was like 11 or so, my friend and I used to play FF2 (4 JP) co-op. The game would allow input from both controllers, so he'd control some characters, and I'd control the other ones.

Gears of War 2 maybe? You're role playing a guy in the army and it's co-op :) or TF2 you're role-playing some class and it's co-op :)

Necronic

Staff member
FF tactics would fill both of yalls desires wouldn't it? Its an RPG/strategy. Other than that, I dunno.

Necronic said:
FF tactics would fill both of yalls desires wouldn't it? Its an RPG/strategy. Other than that, I dunno.
But it's not Co-op.

I'll agree with the Lego games, and also with X-men Legends or Marvel Ultimate Alliance.

A

Aisaku

Secret of Mana, or even better since you're likely emulating Seiken Densetsu 3 that's the translation of the SNES sequel that's even more co-op friendly.

When you say rpg co-op I often think of Diablo II. As unlikely as it is they will have local co op with Diablo III that would be really nice, and current.

If it's something portable I recently saw friends have a lot of fun with monster hunter unite for the PSP. You're a hunter attached to a lonely mountain outpost and it's your job to take missions and beat down monsters of all sizes and shapes. (Think Reign of Fire) It allows up to 4 people simultaneously.

CynicismKills said:
You could give Resident Evil 5 a shot, I thought the co-op was pretty fun and you really count on each other to keep yourselves alive.
Ok, wait a minute. Me and a buddy fired up the co-op and they split the screen so that each person only had about a third of the screen with huge black bars on either side. We couldn't see SHIT.
So we played Resistance instead.
Am I missing something?

Espy said:
CynicismKills said:
Ok, wait a minute. Me and a buddy fired up the co-op and they split the screen so that each person only had about a third of the screen with huge black bars on either side. We couldn't see SHIT.
Am I missing something?
No for some reason that's the way the split-screen works. It bothered me at first and eventually I got used to it, but it's still strange.

Espy said:
CynicismKills said:
Am I missing something?
I didn't have any trouble with the smaller screens, personally, but then I grew up with a gamer brother so I've been used to split-screening games since the Mario Kart days. :heythere:

Thanks for the suggestions; my wife picked up Resident Evil 5. She is currently sniped left right and centre, I am getting dizzy and dying a lot.

HCGLNS said:
Thanks for the suggestions; my wife picked up Resident Evil 5. She is currently sniped left right and centre, I am getting dizzy and dying a lot.
The best advice I can give is keep a sniper rifle on the girl at all times, she can be boosted to spots where sniping is easy as pie and it really helps keep Chris alive in the tough spots. I played as her and it was that or the semi-auto rifle at all times.

Status
Not open for further replies.