Looks Like They Will Need Roads

As cool as this is for the nostalgia factor, they were not very good practical cars. I'd like to see them maybe replace the stainless steel with something lighter but similar looking, and maybe even go electric or hybrid with an updated motor.

As far as I know, Deloreans never actually left. The factory that made them was still operational, their parts still in stock, and you could still order one from them, and they would construct it for you.

fade

Staff member
As far as I know, Deloreans never actually left. The factory that made them was still operational, their parts still in stock, and you could still order one from them, and they would construct it for you.
That was the second company with the name, which is actually here in Houston. They built them from original stock produced back when the factory was running. It's the same company that is going to be producing the new ones.

The biggest problem (admittedly, among many) for Deloreans is that they had an anemic engine despite their performance looks. That was due to emissions standards. GM didn't make good fuel-efficient engines in the early 80s, that's why the Camaro and Firebird got stuck with the ABYSSMAL "Iron Duke" engine (a whole 90 horsepower!). So you wound up with a cool looking, futuristic, heavy car that performed like a Volvo station wagon. And not a good one.

Would it even meet modern safety and EPA standards without any modifications?
Most assuredly not, which is one of the reasons the previous continuation was not much more than a repair and rebuild shop.

They will probably just switch to a new drivetrain, update the suspension, frame, interior, and completely new electrical system, and keep the iconic look. It'll still take several years for the new version.

Would be interesting if they partnered with tesla and got a fully electric drivetrain.

[QUOTE="stienman, post: 1262488, member: 44"Would be interesting if they partnered with tesla and got a fully electric drivetrain.[/QUOTE]

And put in the BTTF DeLorean sound effect when it drives. :p

The Delorean would probably really benefit from going electric. I'd been thinking more along the lines of the Ford EcoBoost system but a car with the looks of the classic Delorean with the technology of the Tesla Model S with the 90 kWh powerplant...

Okay, a bit of reading tells me this: this is the company that's been "refurbishing" DMC vehicles since they bought the rest of the company's spare parts stock in the 1980's (I may be off with that timeline, but I think that was right). They have enough in the way of "spare parts" to build about 300 new cars - at a cost of just under $100k each.

The reason they couldn't do it before is twofold: first, John Z's widow was in a huge lawsuit with them about using her hubby's name. It appears that has been resolved. Second, the NHTSA changed the legislation for vehicle makers who produced under 500 units a year ("Low Volume Motor Vehicle Manufacturers Act", H.R. 2675). Since the Delorean meets the criteria of being a vehicle older than 25 years, they're now free to build the units from stock. They do have to meet EPA and NHTSA standards - though not the same as GM, Ford, Chrysler or Toyota would have to.

Now the problem: determining what kind of powertrain to put in the thing. What I've heard through Jalopnik is the possibility of a Toyota V6, but a GM engine is also possible. I suspect that is what they're going to do over this year: see what works, then negotiate the purchase of 300-some engines.

The real fun comes in late 2017-18, when they run out of their original 1983 stock...