Lost iPad, whats the appropriate thing to do here?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Someone left an iPad at my shop yesterday. It's got a lock screen so we can't get into it to find out who it belongs to. We have hundreds of students who come through here every day and I don't want to put up a sign about it because then we will have hundreds of students trying to get us to give it to them (it's an iPad so there aren't any real significant things to show ownership like a colored case or anything) and I don't need my staff wasting time with a bunch of kids trying to scam a free iPad instead of helping customers so what are my other options for finding the owner?

Right now I just have it in our safe until they come claim it, but we've seen this happen before with things worth a decent amount of money and half the time they never come back for it (I mean, hey, when you can just have mommy and daddy buy you a new one why waste time tracking it down right?).

Any ideas or should we just wait to see if someone claims it?

If it's a 3G model (black strip of plastic along top backside) then leave it out of the safe so it can get a GPS and cellular signal - the owner can then track it.

If it's a wifi model, take it out for a stroll once a day - if they've associated with local wifi networks, then they can still send messages to it and, to some degree, track it. If they are students they will have at least associated it with the school's wifi network.

Report it to the police - most places have ordinances regarding lost property, and chances are it's valuable enough that you are required to report it. Further, once you report it, if no one claims it after a time it's legally yours.

Go ahead and announce it. It's locked. Tell the students they cannot touch it, but if they provide the correct lock password, and when you put it in it works, then ask them to tell you something about the ipad - a contact with the correct phone number, an appointment on the calendar, or something only the owner would know to double check. Alternately ask them to bring in the invoice from apple (they can get a new one) if you're really paranoid and it should have the serial number.

If it's a 3G model (black strip of plastic along top backside) then leave it out of the safe so it can get a GPS and cellular signal - the owner can then track it.

If it's a wifi model, take it out for a stroll once a day - if they've associated with local wifi networks, then they can still send messages to it and, to some degree, track it. If they are students they will have at least associated it with the school's wifi network.
Great idea. I've got it locked in my office instead.

Report it to the police - most places have ordinances regarding lost property, and chances are it's valuable enough that you are required to report it. Further, once you report it, if no one claims it after a time it's legally yours.
I wondered if I should bother the cops with it. I'll do that.

Go ahead and announce it. It's locked. Tell the students they cannot touch it, but if they provide the correct lock password, and when you put it in it works, then ask them to tell you something about the ipad - a contact with the correct phone number, an appointment on the calendar, or something only the owner would know to double check. Alternately ask them to bring in the invoice from apple (they can get a new one) if you're really paranoid and it should have the serial number.
Can't do it logistically. If they come ask us about it thats fine but we don't have the manpower to stop taking care of customers and deal with every random person who wants to try and scam an iPad. It's just not an option.

I wondered if I should bother the cops with it. I'll do that.
You might also report it to the campus safety/police/etc if they handle that sort of thing. The student may assume it's lost at school and might try that.
Oh, and if you report it to Apple, or even your local Apple store they may actually be able to locate the owner for you. They certainly know who originally purchased it - whether they tell you (privacy issue) or whether the original purchaser sold it eventually might be a problem, but I'd bet that Apple has some sort of policy about reported lost property. They may only be able to send a message to the owner (via email) once you provide the serial number, and the owner would then come by and prove, via the lock screen, that they are the current owner. Apple might not do it at all, but it's another avenue to explore.
Added at: 10:02
Can't do it logistically. If they come ask us about it thats fine but we don't have the manpower to stop taking care of customers and deal with every random person who wants to try and scam an iPad. It's just not an option.
Probably, but if it were me I'd post it, then make them do some work. "Fill out this form, which describes the model, capacity, 3G or wifi, the lock code, and one piece of info that's on it that only you know (calendar, contact with phone#, etc) and your email, and we'll email you if it matches your description. It's in a safe location, so we cannot verify your ownership here."
Just hand them the paper, and at the end of the day, throw out all those that don't match the type and capacity (iPad 1 or 2 should be easy to figure out and 16G, 32G, or 64G should be printed on the back, 3G is easy to see if it's got the black strip on the top back, etc). Try out the lock password of the rest, and you're done.
When you visit with the police make sure to ask them what your reporting requirements are (do you have to post a notice of any kind, or is reporting to the police enough) and how long until it you can legally own it. Depending on how they run things, you may have to give it to them, and then return to claim it as the finder once the time period is finished.

Yeah, I just sent an email to the campus police to see how they deal with it. We shall see. I would assume the person would show up looking for it so I'm guessing it will be gone by the end of the day but it's happened before with reasonably expensive stuff and it just sits here forever. I guess for some it's easier to make mommy and daddy buy them a new one :p

I guess for some it's easier to make mommy and daddy buy them a new one :p
Yep. And honestly I use my iPad professionally, and would simply buy a new one (assuming I had the funds - which is not a sure bet these days) while continuing to look for the old one. I wouldn't feel bad about having two if I found the old one, but it will negatively impact my work if I have to go without it for more than a few days.

Further, the cheapest iPad is $500 new, which is about the deductible many people carry on their renters/homeowners insurance which would usually cover this sort of loss. Anything more than the cheapest base model might be worth claiming on one's insurance.

Police report should always be the first thing. It establishes a time and a contact record. The police can then contact Apple to try and track down the owner. Apple might be able to create some record of your find if you bring/call it in, but they will probably not take possession of it, and they will not give you any names (privacy). They will probably talk to law enforcement, though.

This is why Find My iPhone is such a handy tool.

One more thing about having people try the code. It is possible to set it up so that the data will be wiped after 10 failed attempts, so don't let just anyone try codes. You might only get those 10 tries.

--Patrick

Status
Not open for further replies.