Lost My Wallet Rant

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, to be honest this is more of a wannabe facebook post than a forum rant, but my dad's on facebook and he'd give me no end of grief and criticism for this. He's also on the OTHER forum I frequent. So... hey guys! 'Sup!

I lost my wallet. It was pretty explicitly my fault. There is no exciting story surrounding that. I was not robbed at swordpoint by a ninja, or abducted by aliens and returned naked to a cowfield. I took it out on the train last Friday to show the conductor my ticket. Then somehow just set it on the seat next to me and forgot about it. Later on I switched seats (about 15 minutes before the train reached its destination). I realized it was missing immediately, and went back on to look for it, couldn't find it.

I asked a conductor "Hey, did you guys see a wallet?" And he just said "check lost and found."

Lost in Found is in Grand Central, so you have to get a train ticket just to GO there. It's also closed for the weekend. I waited all weekend for Monday so I could find out if I have to get a new driver's license and insurance card and... well, everything. I call them up, and they say A) that you can't talk to Lost and Found over the phone. You have to physically come in to Grand Central and fill out a form. Just to tell them what you're missing. B) They won't get back to you immediately. Not only do they have to wait for the next batch of lost items from my town (which come in Tuesday, apparently) but they have to catelogue them, which normally takes two days, which would be Thursday, which is Thanksgiving, which they are also closed for.

Now, physically appearing in Grand Central ISN'T actually an issue for me. Because I work next door to Grand Central. But still, the absurdity of forcing someone to pay for a train ticket just to check if they have something you lost is ridiculous. (I suspect there's some way to do it online, but the customer service lady made no effort to tell me that).

I don't actually have all THAT much money in it (about $25 cash and a few gift cards). But I do have a month-pass on the train that cost $400. AND at the beginning of the month when I first went to get my month pass, my credit card didn't work and I had to buy a week pass for $125. So I've already spent $125 this month on train tickets that I ultimately didn't need (since I eventually had to get the month pass anyway). And I'd really really like to not have to pay another $250.

If I could verify today that the wallet was stolen, at least I'd know it was purely my fault, pay the damn money and move on. But living in uncertainty for another week because the train conductor didn't bother to check the damn lost and found box on the train is really pissing me off.

Grr.

Thank you for your time.

R

rabbitgod

That sucks. I always hate when I don't know what happened to something. I lost (and found a few days later) a flash drive. I had no idea where it was and one of the major possibilities was closed for Veterans day so I had to sit for a whole day thinking about it.

What's sort of funny is that for three days prior to the wallet, I had been missing a pair of gloves. I thought I had looked everywhere, and was about to buckle down and buy a new pair. Then I got off the train, reached into my backpack and found them right in the bottom of the main compartment. "Sweet! Gloves!" I said. Then realized I had gained +2 gloves but -1 wallet. Not a very good trade.

C

Chibibar

Dang. I know how you feel. I lost a couple of wallets (I think three so far in the last 20 years) It sucks EVERY SINGLE TIME. Cause my whole life is in it. My Driver license, credit cards and membership cards. I have to call everyone and cancel stuff.... it is a pain in the butt.

I hope they have your wallet in lost and found. Sometimes you do meet some good people who do turn in stuff that people lost. I wish you luck.

Already called and cancelled the credit card. I went into the bank today with an old passport to try and get some money and order a new credit card... turns out my passport is out of date too and they wouldn't accept that as ID. My boss loaned me some money yesterday, which I felt kinda embarrassed about. I was hoping to return it today without having had to spend any... bleh.

I'm pondering a way in which I could alleviate the issue for next time (keeping credit cards in a separate thing from cash, so I'm more likely to just lose one rather than everything at once) but I know I'd end up getting sick of the extra bulk. Seriously I'd just like a chip embedded in my skin that can store all my information and money. I don't care if the government can hunt me down.

C

Chibibar

Already called and cancelled the credit card. I went into the bank today with an old passport to try and get some money and order a new credit card... turns out my passport is out of date too and they wouldn't accept that as ID. My boss loaned me some money yesterday, which I felt kinda embarrassed about. I was hoping to return it today without having had to spend any... bleh.

I'm pondering a way in which I could alleviate the issue for next time (keeping credit cards in a separate thing from cash, so I'm more likely to just lose one rather than everything at once) but I know I'd end up getting sick of the extra bulk. Seriously I'd just like a chip embedded in my skin that can store all my information and money. I don't care if the government can hunt me down.
heh... or have a retina scan like Minority Report or chip like Demolition man.

Status
Not open for further replies.