Mass Effect Props

Status
Not open for further replies.
With Mass Effect 3 coming out late this year I have decided to finally try my hand at making props of a few of the weapons from the Mass Effect universe. I figured setting up a progress blog might be useful as both an effort to keep me motivated and also to share the fruits of my labour with other interested fans.

I'm going to be starting off with pistol sized weapons as my prop making skills are weak (aka untested) and I don't want to tackle something that will overwhelm me right off the bat.

My first piece will be a basic heavy pistol... the M-3 Predator.

Eventually I hope to do the Carnifex heavy pistol, the M8 assault rifle and the Widow anti-materiel rifle as well. We will see how my first attempt goes though as this might turn out to be a massive exercise in futiliy.

However... on a more positive note... let's see what progress I have made so far on the heavy pistol.

The first step was to obtain accurate source images. I looked carefully but everything I found on the internet was totally inadequate to get the job done so I decided to obtain the images myself. Using the Unreal model viewer (special thanks to drifter for recommending this program) I was able to find untextured 3D meshes from the game of the weapons I am interested in building.

After importing those meshes into Blender (which was a massively frustrating exercise on its own) I was able to take some good screen shots of all the orthographic views and then proceeded to trace them out in Adobe Illustrator.

After a good amount of monkeying around I came up with these templates which are the exact proportion of the weapon in the game... the overall scale is to fit in my hands though so they may be a little larger/smaller than compared to the characters in Mass Effect. I'm not upset about this though because if it's scaled to me they will look good my hands :). At least the actual proportions should be bang on.

Unfortunately interpreting these orthographic drawings and building them in real life can be a lot harder than you may think so I decided to make a mock up out of cheap building materials (pink insulation, foam board and white glue). Here is the pistol as it sits now. Keep in mind that there has been no bevelling or any finishing details... this is just simple shapes cut from my templates. My plan is to use the measurements from this mock up to cut parts out of MDF and then use that plus bondo to create the nice smooth and curved surfaces you see in the actual pistol.

I think this is a pretty good start though... I only have a few more parts to add to this mock up before getting patterns ready to cut out of wood. Then it's time for a hell of a lot of sanding, bondo, sanding,dremel and sanding work.

Not much to report here... things have been busy with work and the family so not much progress has been made. I've updated my templates a bit and planned how I'm going to create the nice edges and angles on the main body with a router and dremel.

I did just pick up my new scroll saw today so I will be getting ready to start cutting some new shapes once I grab some MDF (I have a friend who is a carpenter who is going to collect off-cuts for me from his work site... yay free materials!).

I'm thinking of lighting up the "A and B" vents with some LED's as well... should look pretty nice when it's done.

Just wanted to let you guys know I'm still plodding away on this. I will hopefully have some more pictures ready by the weekend.

Welcome Jay, I was wondering when you might find your way in here ;)

So as for progress... no pictures... yet... BUT... I should have some shots done tonight. I set up my scroll saw last night and messed around cutting up some old scrap MDF just to get a basic feel for how this saw operates. I have to say it cuts very nicely and the fine blades leave so little kerf... it's fantastic. That means less sanding and bondo right off the bat which is always a good thing. Tonight I will be cutting out two copies of the main spine of the pistol so I'll post some pictures of that when I'm finished.

Ugh, I didn't get very much done tonight... only about an hour's worth. Plus, I suck at using the scroll saw... I improved a lot at the end... but there's some bad cuts that will need bondo filler to make them nice and straight. Could be worse I suppose... at least I didn't break any blades!

Yes, here is he main spine of the pistol in all its MDF glory. Tomorrow I will hopefully get a chance to cut out the middle piece there and complete the handgrips. After that... I'm not sure. I need access to my buddy's thickness planer and belt sander so we will see what gets done over the weekend. Maybe some dremel practice... hmmmmm...

Reactions: Jay
I'm Commander Shepard, and this is my favorite prop on the Internet.
Haha! I was wondering when someone would post something along those lines :)

So a small update. Today I cut out a few more shapes and clamped some MDF together to make some larger widths for other parts.

Here's the pistol spine with the finger grip thingy cut out (it was cool to use a scroll saw on this because I was able to cut it out without having to slice through any part of the outer handle). You can also see the two sides that will bulk up the pistol spine. They will eventually be all smoothed and have lines routered and dremeled into them... but for now.

Please forgive my sloppy cutting... that damn scroll saw is a lot trickier to use than you might think. I'm slowly getting better. Thankfully... for the poorly cut parts... there's bondo!

Here's a shot with the parts stacked on top of each other.

Hopefully tomorrow I will get a chance to cut out the barrels and upper slide doohickey. Once that's done I pretty much have to wait to get over to my friends workshop as he has the router, planer and tablesaw I need to continue.

Anyways... I hope you guys are enjoying this so far.

Reactions: Jay
I just wanted to let you guys know what's been up lately with this project.

My wife and I have decided to finish our basement this summer so most of my project stuff has been hastily packed away while we divert our attention to that. I fully intend to finish these props (and now that the Mass Effect 3 release date has been bumped I have more time)... but there won't be much progress for on this for a month or two.

Sorry for the delays... but important real life things do come first.

D

Disconnected

mass effect doesn't need any more props dawg its got like 5 threads going and...
oh
i uhm...

I just wanted to let you guys know what's been up lately with this project.

My wife and I have decided to finish our basement this summer so most of my project stuff has been hastily packed away while we divert our attention to that. I fully intend to finish these props (and now that the Mass Effect 3 release date has been bumped I have more time)... but there won't be much progress for on this for a month or two.

Sorry for the delays... but important real life things do come first.
UNACCEPTABLE

;)

Oh boy... update time!

Well it's been way too long, and in between my youngest son being born, developing the basement and the ending of Mass Effect 3 sucking HARD... it has been hard to find the time to get this project back up and running. However, I got my garage fairly well organized last week so I have some time and space to actually work now. I warn you that updates to this will likely be sporadic at best due to many factors but I really do want to finish this piece off nicely.

So, I cut out the barrel parts and the upper slide doohickey, did some basic sanding and shaping and screwed everything together so I can see it assembled but still take it apart easily to work on the individual pieces. Some of my cuts are atrocious so there will be a lot of bondo used to even things out. I really need a band saw for cutting through the really thick MDF... but that will have to wait.

That's it for now ladies and gentlemen. I'm going to start detailing fairly soon (or attempt to at the very least) so we shall see how that goes.

Status
Not open for further replies.