[Movies] MCU: Phase 5 - To Kang or Not to Kang

Who is she talking to? She keeps making these quips and banter as if there is someone with her but there is no one else there right?
Spidey and Deadpool are famous for that same thing, so I just took it as a comic trope.

Dave

Staff member
Ugh. I hated this episode. Nothing but fan service and dick sucking. God damn it was painful.

Ugh. I hated this episode. Nothing but fan service and dick sucking. God damn it was painful.
Besides Howard, I agree. A lot of this was large fists of Ham wielding a Ham Mallet while ignoring a lot a crap precludes the wrong abduction. It could have been done better.

I will totally agree that
the defection of Thanos and the adoration of Korarth
was too over-the-top, but I would totally buy that, given his upbringing and personality, T'Challa would have been a far more successful Star-Lord. I'm still confused why he would take the name Star-Lord, though.

Yes, it was a bit fan-servicy, but isn't that part of the point of "What If..?", even in the comics? They've always been, like, "official Marvel fan fiction".

Dave

Staff member
  • Quill was called Star Lord because that's what his mom called him.
  • No way Thanos would have given up so easily and been turned to the good side just by talking to him.
  • Korarth being a fan boy. Shut the fuck up.
  • The Collector would not have grown as he did. He was never into power.
  • All the Ravagers being Robin Hoods - and making a fucking Robin LEECH joke?!? Fucking dumb as shit.
  • T'challa is Jesus. He can do no wrong. Fucking barf.

There's more, but god damn was this a shit episode.

My issue with the what if episodes so far...
Is that they kind of shit on the normal MCU a bit. Like, I get that they are trying to go all out and have some fun, but the minute Captain Carter started throwing trucks around, captured the Tesseract before it could be used by Hydra to make weapons, and pushed back a giant squid monster, I knew these were going to be more glorious fanfictions of the writers favorite characters more then anything else. "They did good, but this character would do WAY BETTER! SEE!"

The newest episode kind of confirmed it for me. Not only was T'Challa an actual famous "Star-Lord", but he convinced Thanos to become a Ravager, saved Drax's family, defeated the Collector who in this universe killed Thor, Captain America, Hela, and Korg, plus who knows who else, still got to be Prince of Wakanda by the end, etc. Then it had the nerve of showing Peter Quill working as the janitor of a Dairy Queen. Oh man the disrespect. At least they gave Steve a proto-iron man suit to help Peggy in the Captain Carter what if, giving him back his agency as a hero, but the disrespect this one showed Quill for the loss of his destiny was just a bit much.

I will say though, I DO like that this one at least implied that because of the changes, even though T'Challa ended up being fifty times better as Star-Lord, it likely won't matter as the Diary Queen Quill is likely going to just do whatever Ego wants and will ultimately destroy that universe. That little nod to the consequence of this timeline at least gave a smidgen of respect back to Quill and his importance as Star-Lord.

That's exactly what a What If is supposed to do. It gives a surge of "yeah, see I told you this idea is awesome", combined with a reality check.

That's exactly what a What If is supposed to do. It gives a surge of "yeah, see I told you this idea is awesome", combined with a reality check.
Not exactly? It's supposed to tell a story in a different way, and that's it. If can be fun fan fiction type stuff, yes, but I just hope not all of them are like that. We need some darker, meaty stuff too, where the change the hero undergoes leads to a worst history.

Yeah gonna go with HCGLNS on this one, this was absolutely a What if? story the likes of what you would get each month in the comic books. Was it over the top, sure, but What If? stories frequently are since the writers were set loose to tell whatever story they wanted. Still really enjoying it.

Yeah gonna go with HCGLNS on this one, this was absolutely a What if? story the likes of what you would get each month in the comic books. Was it over the top, sure, but What If? stories frequently are since the writers were set loose to tell whatever story they wanted. Still really enjoying it.
Not saying I didn't enjoy it. I did. Just had my critiques. It might be better for me when they stop just putting "X in same job as Y" type what ifs.

This weeks was ok. But I felt like they were really try-harding in their homage to Boseman. And for someone who hadn't had the heart-shaped herb, "plain ol' human" T'Challa was off the charts in his physical abilities.

I'll see it as I will any Marvel film, but it feels very far removed from the MCU.

And in most of the MCU films that deal with something off-world, Earth (or Terra as others seem to call it) seems regarded as a pathetic little world of little importance. And yet nearly EVERYTHING OF IMPORTANCE happens there.

Still a big "meh" from me, but that's also my reaction to anything related to Eternals. It's just not a brand I care about. I'll probably still see it, since Marvel has a good track record, but yeah, this just isn't doing it for me.

I'll see it as I will any Marvel film, but it feels very far removed from the MCU.

And in most of the MCU films that deal with something off-world, Earth (or Terra as others seem to call it) seems regarded as a pathetic little world of little importance. And yet nearly EVERYTHING OF IMPORTANCE happens there.
When you have Earthlings writing all the stories, they tend to do this because it's what they know. And they assume it will draw in an audience because it makes it familiar. But if it seems too derivative to have Earth as the default of everything, it's a good argument for why we shouldn't let keep letting white, American men design all our stories as well. ;) But at least they've tried to make things not quite as Earth-centric with the Guardian movies and some of Thor, though it still slips in there.

I'm willing to give The Eternals a shot. I was never into the characters, but I agree that it looks different enough to try it.

I like it.
Dane: "Why didn't you guys help fight Thanos?"
Sersi: "We were instructed not to interfere in any human conflicts unless Deviants were involved."
Dane: "By who?"

Me: Actually Thanos is a Deviant so you shou-oooooooh shit! Celestial!

Yeah, I'm down for this.

Wasn't he considered an Eternal from Titan? They were like their own thing different from the Earth based Eternals and Deviants, splitting off after a civil war.

Wasn't he considered an Eternal from Titan? They were like their own thing different from the Earth based Eternals and Deviants, splitting off after a civil war.
Sometimes they call him an Eternal, sometimes an Eternal mutant, sometimes they call him a Deviant. It's Marvel comic books, you're not going to get a 100% consistent backstory.

Generally though the difference between Eternals & Deviants is treated as if they look human they're Eternal, if they don't they're Deviant. Thanos clearly looks inhuman (but not Inhuman), ergo he's a Deviant. Which admittedly when you type it out that clearly does look juuuuust a little bit racist.