Export thread

Men At Work's "Down Under" steals from Australian folk song

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

Men at Work 'stole' riff from Kookaburra children's song - Telegraph

Did anyone not already know this? Seriously? And it's just now getting litigated this year?

My ex-wife learned "kookaburra" as a child in girl scouts. I learned it from her 16 years ago, by ear, and played it on the whistle. It took me all of about 10 minutes to realize that it was the riff from "Down Under"

Null

Null

So, almost 30 years after relevance...

Baerdog

Baerdog

There's gotta be a picture of a kookaburra with a snarky caption that someone can post here.

Gusto

Gusto

I thought everyone knew that.

D

Dubyamn

I guess I always figured the tune had gone into public domain or something because really it is incredibly obvious.

I think the copyright holders should lose just based on the time it took to bring this lawsuit.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

/infer

looks like the lady that wrote the song never saw a penny, the money went to build a park for the Girl Guides (scouts). Then 22 years after the death of the author a record company sues to get unearned cash from a 31 year old hit record.

/infer

Men at Work and their label, should give a couple of million to the Girl Scouts and the record company that has a tenuous hold on the rights can go bugger off.

Espy

Espy

Men at Work and their label, should give a couple of million to the Girl Scouts and the record company that has a tenuous hold on the rights can go bugger off.
That sounds good. Then Colin Hay can write some depressing tunes about it.

Baerdog

Baerdog

Then Zach Braff can put them in a TV show or movie.

Krisken

Krisken

I think I love this plan.

Espy

Espy

It's pretty much perfect, in fact the only thing that could ruin it is... oh crap!

Krisken

Krisken

We could always distract him with

Baerdog

Baerdog

That's ok, I know who can keep the Janitor in line.

Edit: KRISKEEEEEEN!!!

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

It's pretty much perfect, in fact the only thing that could ruin it is... oh crap!

[/QUOTE]

Allow me, sir:

Also, how is this a big deal at all? Folk riffs get recycled constantly. I know Flogging Molly uses something from an old Irish set in a few different songs (Salty Dog, I think it is, but I don't remember the tune they borrowed from).

Fun Size

Fun Size

In other news, almost all art can be shown to be somehow derivative of a previous work of art.

Film at 11.

GasBandit

GasBandit

So, almost 30 years after relevance...
Oh snap! Time to cash in! We'll be rich! You're going DOWN NOW, Men at Work!

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

We could always distract him with

Distract who now?

Dusty668

*snip*

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Also, how is this a big deal at all? Folk riffs get recycled constantly. I know Flogging Molly uses something from an old Irish set in a few different songs (Salty Dog, I think it is, but I don't remember the tune they borrowed from).
most irish folk tunes are public domain due to being, you know, so old they're out of copyright protection.

Kookaburra is evidently still under copyright.[/QUOTE]

Oh I know the Irish tunes aren't, but I didn't realize Kookabura was still under copyright.

I mean, Colin Hay still performs the song as a solo act, but even then he wrote it so long ago.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Wait... I thought Down Under already was an Australian folk song.

You mean it isn't? It should at least be like... national anthem or something.