Metal Earth models

I can't believe I don't have a thread for this. Every time I come in to post new pics, I find only tangentially related threads that I've put these in.

Anyway, the wife's girlfriend got me 10 of these for Christmas. I've been banging out the insect models because they're super simple (around 20 parts a half-page of instructions), and the parts aren't super tiny. Compare to Iron Man, with parts the size of a grain of rice (or smaller!) over 120 parts and 8 pages of instructions.

received_1345523762458846.jpeg

20201228_115524.jpg

Last edited:
Today's build: Scorpion

2020-12-29 15.29.16.jpg

(edit: I notice that little unsecured tab up there near the end of the stinger. I didn't see it at the time, but now that I can see it in the photo, I went back and secured it.)

Not "Metal Earth" or Iconix brand, my wife's girlfriend got me this 3d scorpion puzzle for Christmas. I don't have to fold anything, or bend anything. But it's still got small pieces and is quite the challenge to put together. I decided to work on this rather than stress over what's happening in DC tonight. Brand name "Madsteel" (which is the only English on the box), and evidently available on AliExpress, there are literally a half-dozen or more of these exact same models sold by different companies on Amazon.

20210106_115148.jpg

What the finished product is supposed to look like

20210106_115204.jpg

An Amazon review claimed the screws didn't come sorted by size, but they do. And the parts are nicely labeled. The steel is thick and sturdy.

20210106_194112.jpg

Took me almost 90 minutes to get one half of step 1 (a single pincer) done. Mostly because I had to disassemble it twice when I discovered i had pieces reversed. Gonna repeat the process tomorrow.

Last edited:
20210108_134007.jpg

Both pincers done.

20210113_182551.jpg

Followed by these two little assemblies. Where do they go?

20210113_182721.jpg

This is the next step. This step has 3 pictures that all look exactly like this, with different labels for various parts and screw sizes. It wasn't as complicated as it appeared at first glance.

20210113_185519.jpg

Tail complete. That little adrift piece gets added when you attach the tail to the body.

1613488078783.png

The finished piece:
1613488119212.png

And comparing it to the Iconx Metal Earth brand scorpion (apologies for the crap picture):
1613488180885.png

View attachment 36827
Both pincers done.

View attachment 36828

Followed by these two little assemblies. Where do they go?

View attachment 36829

This is the next step. This step has 3 pictures that all look exactly like this, with different labels for various parts and screw sizes. It wasn't as complicated as it appeared at first glance.

View attachment 36830
I only just saw this thread and that assembly looks an awful lot like the blade assembly of this quarter million dollar meat chopper we used in school.

When you put it back together, the instructor always made everyone crowd to one side of the room just in case a blade was out of balance and fired out of the machine while it was doing 6000 rpms.

20220707_234017.jpg

Taking a break from crochet. I have a few of these Metal Earth models that have been sitting idle.

This one only had 30 pieces. I thought it'd be so easy to do. WRONG. Every piece had to be bent in certain ways, and looking at a complex 3d bend rendered in 2d meant that I bent most of then wrong the first time. Such a pain.
Under the shiny bright lights, it doesn't look too bad, but I'm really not pleased with the quality of this build.

Whoops had some pics on my phone!
Love that dragon!

The Millennium Falcon was the first one I ever did in 2016. In retrospect, I should have probably started with something easier :) These days a lot of them have a complexity rating that they didn't have in the beginning. I didn't really start making them heavily until maybe 2019. I've made about 25 so far.

Attachments

Yeah, I modded the Drogon one so he looks more like he's running to take flight. I didn't like the "OEM" version where he looks kind of unnatural: https://www.metalearth.com/drogon

Currently working on the 1989 Batmobile one (about halfway through) before I start the dreaded T-800 that I got for Christmas. For the T-800 I'm going to mod it with some LED's to have glowing red eyes.

Last edited:
Apparently the Iron Man one is still the hardest ranked one. Followed by all things, the new Hogwarts Castle.