[Bug] Missing new view?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there a reason that viewing the last couple pages of a thread shows me nothing at all? At first I thought it was just a comment or two that got deleted, but now I'm seeing "44 new messages" but when I click to the next page I get nothing. I have only noticed this starting earlier this afternoon.

For instance, this just brings up a blank page:
https://www.halforums.com/threads/t...e-you-saw-2-electric-threadaloo.17139/page-93

...even though page 92 says there are 44 new messages, and it says there are 9 more on page 94.

In the meanwhile, I keep getting suckered into reading threads which are now no longer marked as new and therefore I may never know what is being discussed.

--Patrick

Updated with image capture goodness so you can see what I'm talking about.

Screen Shot 2012-08-04 at 12.59.48 AM.png

EDIT: Just checked. The missing content isn't present (but hidden) in the page source, either.

--Patrick

Now it's looking like some of the threads have just been outright pruned. Like, I remember posting in the Random2 thread, but now some of the posts are just gone as though they never existed.

On the plus side, some of the missing ones have come back here or there.

--Patrick

Dave

Staff member
I did a rebuild of the thread caches. It SHOULDN'T have removed any posts but instead reindex them.

The Epic Win thread came up in What's New, but it's actually missing a couple posts.

The posts are there when you scroll through Postings via a user's profile page, but when you click and get directed to the thread, it doesn't show.

The Epic Win thread came up in What's New, but it's actually missing a couple posts.

The posts are there when you scroll through Postings via a user's profile page, but when you click and get directed to the thread, it doesn't show.
did you look on top of the page? that's where the newest post was when I looked.

Yeah, I'm getting new posts in the middle of the page with posts from yesterday as well. THE FORUM'S IMPLODING!!! :aaah:

Happening all over for me today. Get an email about new post, can see it in email, go to thread (email link) and it only takes me to the top of last page, no new stuff at bottom. It's weird.

Y'know, I thought of a possible solution. This is new and revolutionary thinking, mind. You may not expect it from me. It may very well blow your mind.
Imagine, if you will, that we'd restart some threads that are starting to get too long. Imagine, if you will, a world where we introduce some sort of "forum rule" where certain people who we could potentially name "moderators" or some such, could actually stop other people from posting in threads. "Lock" them for further editing, so to speak. If we set a certain length - it doesn't have to be set in stone, but, say, some 100-ish pages - after which this is done, we'd get the chance to continue a conversation in a new version of the same thread. We'd have to cal lthem things like "part two" or so, but I bet we can be original in our thread naming for the foreseeable future.
This way, threads wouldn't become so long any more, and we wouldn't have these issues. Imagine*!

*While you're at it, imagine there's no countries, nothing to kill or die for, and no religion, too.

We shouldn't get near the limit. As an engineer I suggest we build in a safety factor and lock every thread after the 25th post is made.

:lock:

We shouldn't get near the limit. As an engineer I suggest we build in a safety factor and lock every thread after the 25th post is made.
I think that you may still be providing too much room for error, every thread needs to be locked after the 2nd post, and placed in the Hall of Shame which should then be purged every 10 seconds to keep the category from blowing it all up.

Dave

Staff member
This is what I get for running to the store.

Reindexing again![DOUBLEPOST=1344211738][/DOUBLEPOST]Site may slow down a bit as the reindex happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.