Mutants and Masterminds

So I picked up the book for the third edition of this... and character creation looks incomprehensible. I'd like to do a Sentai/Power Rangers style character, but I don't even know where to begin beyond Advantages.

Anyone know anything about this or know a good creation tool for this?

Until this thread, I didn't even know about this system.

--Patrick
It's super in depth, but since you have to make every aspect of a power and they don't show the process of actually doing so as an example, it's frustrating... especially since you have no idea how strong you need to MAKE your attacks.

So I picked up the book for the third edition of this... and character creation looks incomprehensible. I'd like to do a Sentai/Power Rangers style character, but I don't even know where to begin beyond Advantages.

Character creation is incomprehensible.

The good thing is it lets you do ANYTHING.

The bad news is it lets you do ANYTHING.

I built a character that at starting level did burst damage in an area wide enough to injure my whole team, and enough of that damage to basically incapacitate any villain we faced. And I didn't have to roll for it. And he always went first. It made for one of the worst tabletop role play sessions i've ever had.

I don't remember how we went about building it, but the character was a speedster who got fatter the faster he went. So basically he got the first go because of super speed, and then his mass travelling at that speed just created craters.

Character creation is incomprehensible.

The good thing is it lets you do ANYTHING.

The bad news is it lets you do ANYTHING.

I built a character that at starting level did burst damage in an area wide enough to injure my whole team, and enough of that damage to basically incapacitate any villain we faced. And I didn't have to roll for it. And he always went first. It made for one of the worst tabletop role play sessions i've ever had.

I don't remember how we went about building it, but the character was a speedster who got fatter the faster he went. So basically he got the first go because of super speed, and then his mass travelling at that speed just created craters.
That... that sounds awesome!

I would dub this character Critical Mass, for the awesome ability and awesome fat joke.

Hmmm. At first I was like, No, that's what you call an elastic character (plastic man, Mr fantastic, Elastigirl), but I guess it makes sense.
If you gain that much weight that rapidly, you're gonna have some stretch marks.

So back on point: the game's character creation is so thorough and so open to customization that is possible to create a character that is perfectly legal but utterly destroys the game's combat mechanics. There are restrictions in place that should supposedly keep this from happening but don't. I think my speed was limited to something like 90mph and my weight to 2 tons, but the damage caused by that was still pretty incredible and stopped my friends from getting a chance to play

We played one session and all agreed that there is no possible way there isn't a better superhero role-playing game out there. There has got to be.

I'm sure someone has created a Fate superhero system and if not i bet it'd be super easy to do.

If you gain that much weight that rapidly, you're gonna have some stretch marks.

So back on point: the game's character creation is so thorough and so open to customization that is possible to create a character that is perfectly legal but utterly destroys the game's combat mechanics. There are restrictions in place that should supposedly keep this from happening but don't. I think my speed was limited to something like 90mph and my weight to 2 tons, but the damage caused by that was still pretty incredible and stopped my friends from getting a chance to play

We played one session and all agreed that there is no possible way there isn't a better superhero role-playing game out there. There has got to be.

I'm sure someone has created a Fate superhero system and if not i bet it'd be super easy to do.
Have you tried not making a super powerful character? Because you can doesn't mean you have to, and usually the DM will decide what's kosher and tell characters no.

Have you tried not making a super powerful character? Because you can doesn't mean you have to, and usually the DM will decide what's kosher and tell characters no.
That's great and all, but the thing is I wasn't trying to create some mega game breaking character. If I was the kind of player who played like that, I wouldn't really have a right to point out the flaws in this game's character creation. My DM helped me to create the character, since the character creation is so horribly complex, and he deemed this the best way to go about the power we had come up with. (The DM is also my roommate and the idea for the power came out of a conversation we had). In any case, although my character's powers broke combat, there were other problems we had with character creation. Other than character creation being a disaster I really can't say much else about the game. I don't even actually remember how combat works because the power I had didn't require rolls (except for the rolls on my fat character's belly, amirite?)

Green_Lantern

Staff member

I found your problem, you should use second edition only, and pretend that the third doesnt exist, speak of it only whispers.