[Rant] My gf was very mature for her age...

Cajungal

Staff member
A somewhat-related aside: Did anyone else just never have "the talk"? My parents never sat down and had any kind of discussion or explanation with me about anything related to sex or dating or any of it. I was just left to figure it out.
My husband never did, and his public school talk was all about abstinence and deodorants. He went through anatomy books at the library.

My husband never did, and his public school talk was all about abstinence and deodorants. He went through anatomy books at the library.
Same here, sort of. I learned all about sex from library books. One day my mom asked me, "So... you already know how it all works, right?" And I said, "Yep." And that was my "talk."

A somewhat-related aside: Did anyone else just never have "the talk"? My parents never sat down and had any kind of discussion or explanation with me about anything related to sex or dating or any of it. I was just left to figure it out.
Never happened to me. My parents are simply too conservative to approach the issue, so everything I know is from school. Uncoincidentally, this is probably why I've never had much success in knowing WHEN to ask someone on a date or knowing if someone is interested in me. I simply default to "She must want something, because people only do this to me when they want something."

An episode of Degrassi High had one of the characters talking about using a condom. I asked my mom what a condom was and she frankly answered my questions, because that's how she's always rolled. I was at the oldest 8. My parents were never shy about explaining things or using real terms for stuff. It was never my wee-wee, it was always my penis and other such stuff.

I have no idea how I learned. Probably from a book. Or three.

Our 3 (almost 4) year old is already going through science/anatomy books and asking us things like, "There's the baby?" (points to cross-section drawing of gestating child). "Yep," we reply. "And then it comes out of the penis?" he asks. "No, honey. Women don't have penises." Not sure he's clear on the whole gender thing, but he did say that I make a better bed than mommy because I'm not as bumpy.

--Patrick

School covered it all pretty good for me. I got nothing from my parents. The closest I ever got was an electric razor for Christmas followed by a whole lot of heckling from my sisters.

The man speaks one of the most vile and dismissive things I've ever heard. Again, 13 year old.

"I'm not saying she deserved to get raped but..."

FUCK YOU. YOU SLIME. YOU HUMAN TRASH. YOU GREASY FUCKING ASSHOLE.

5-year-old me who watched too much TV: "Mommy, what's sex?"

Mom: "Sex isn't something you shouldn't do for a very long time."

Then she left the room. Good talk, Mom.

Dude, that Icarus thread makes me wish I frequented this place more often.

Dave came out with the flappy hooties swinging