My music

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.myspace.com/coldthewinter
http://www.soundclick.com/coldthewinter
http://www.soundclick.com/galan

I live in an apartment, so I do not have access to a drumset. Instead, I use programmed drums. I need to find a better snare sample to use. These have been recorded with a large number of guitars, amps, pedals, etc so there is no uniform sound. I'm working on fixing that, but I have to work around low volume recordings because of the apartment thing. It's hard to get a good tube amp sound with the volume knob at 2.

On MySpace, Zombies and the old recording of Give were recording using a cheap $10 mic. Strangely enough, these are the two songs on that page that actually have vocals recorded. I have an issue with singing above the volume level of the instruments around me from years of living with my grandfather, who didn't like the "noise" of an electric guitar. And, I'm still struggling with the recorded sound of my voice and working out how to pronounce words so that I sound less texan.

Edit: I goofed

The version of Sometime on soundclick.com/coldthewinter doesn't have vocals. After listening to this again, I realize that I made a pretty big jump in tempo at the end. An older version with vocals can be found at http://www.coldthewinter.com/music/sometime.mp3.

The versions of ALTG and Spin are the same between that profile and MySpace, as I'm currently moving my songs from MS to SC because I can host more songs there. The Galan profile is more about random samples of gear and are more just scratchpad song ideas...improvised for the sake of getting something recorded. Except for "Hearthing Back Home"...which was improvised because I missed a boat while playing WoW. I mentioned it in guild chat and they wanted to hear it, so I threw that together in a few minutes.

I've been hesitant to throw these up here...the HF crowd can be pretty cruel. These websites and versions of songs are bedroom/living room recordings to get an idea of how a completed song sounds. It's not something I'd put out on CD and sell to the public. I just like having full ideas out there. But, fuck it. It's pretty chickenshit of me to not post something because I might get some pretty nasty criticism. If I'm ever going to get out of this rut I'm in, that might just be what I need.

Power to you, man. I've been negligent in my own creative efforts lately, what with my aspiration to write. I'm just starting to man up and put myself out there no matter the criticism.

Anyhow, I'm having a listen now. I'm enjoying the instrumentals on soundclick. Myspace is being a pain for me, so I can't really get anything off of it to listen to. All I can say is to keep it up. I'm realizing more and more that even my crappiest effort is important, because every scratch of the pencil is a learning experience. I'll definitely be checking back when Myspace starts working for me. I hope to hear more in the future!

Putting yourself out on a forum can be intimidating, especially given how varied people's taste in music can be, and how derivitive most rock music is. I've wanted to for a while but never did because of the demo-at-best quality of the recordings (though there Les Paul + DRRI recording on the galan profile has a pretty good clean tone). But, doing this has made me REALLY want to get back to work to put together full versions of the songs. It's tedious to program drums, but even fake drums add a whole dimension to songs, even acoustic songs.

On the myspace page, there's a song called Give that I recorded with my computer mic. I did vocals and played guitar. I went back and added a bass line that, while simplistic, works within the song. When i went back to put a full version together, it changed into something bigger. The timing is off, but that's my fault for not recording with a click track. It's something easily fixed. Playing and writing layers helps me work on my creativity. I really put the profiles together in hopes of getting a band up and going. I miss playing with someone and bouncing ideas off of each other.

Here's to hoping I get off of duff and actually do some decent recordings soon.

I wish? I actually had recurring dreams about a zombie apocalypse. I wrote that song as the first in a trilogy. I worked out the arrangement and lyrics. I just need to buy new strings and rerecord it, which should happen this weekend.

Thanks for the compliment!

That's very flattering, Cajun...thanks!

I edited the initial entry to include a version of the song Sometime with vocals that can be found at http://www.coldthewinter.com/music/sometime.mp3

If you want to hear the difference between my vocals then and my vocals now, there's another song at http://www.coldthewinter.com/music/superman.mp3 that you can listen to. It's my old band from back in 1999/2000. I was a much different singer...raw. I was also sick that day. The song title has changed to Grow and has gone through a few lyrical adjustments, mainly on the chorus.

Thanks a lot Jesslyn!

I will admit that I haven't been nearly as productive as I'd like to have been. I did find an old folder of mp3s that I thought I'd deleted and I've been listening to that and relearning a few songs I'd forgotten about.

After hearing Cajun sing, perhaps I should try to arrange some sort of project (I can't think of the word I want to say...not compliation...where we both work together) where I can provide guitar/bass and she could add Ukelele and vocals.

X

XSammiKaneX

It's been said before, but I also like your voice. It's very soft and easy to listen to. It sounds like you could do well in a variety of genres. Also, I would like to note that I would buy a CD of your music if one was available. :p

There ya go! You hit the 15 year old girl demographic! That's where the money is in music, my friend!

X

XSammiKaneX

Edrondol said:
There ya go! You hit the 15 year old girl demographic! That's where the money is in music, my friend!
For future reference: FEAR THE FANGIRLS! :Leyla:

I do fear the fangirl. Eep!

I'd love to be able to say that I have a CD. Unfortunately, I don't. Once I get some decent sounding mp3s put together, you're welcome to them. I guess that means I need to get to work, eh?

I had a great version of a newer song called "And So Far..." and I forgot to save it. Now, for the life of me, I can't remember the bassline and harmony line I did...and I don't sing harmonies. Ugh!

In a fit of car singing, I discovered that, at least in my head, I can sound like the dude from Seven Mary Three on the song "Water's Edge" when he's singing more aggressively. Maybe I should do up a cover of that song and see how it sounds outside of my head.

Status
Not open for further replies.