Export thread

My room-mate has gone nuts

WolfOfOdin

Some backstory as to why this belongs in here;

Since I've been attending law school I've been living in an apartment in Newark with a person I thought was generally pretty sane, if a little wound up and straight-laced. Same age as me too. However, since the 2008 elections I've been noticing a marked.....drift in his personality. Example, our house is now plastered in American Flags (which I keep having to take down) so that "they'll know a REAL patriot lives here!".

Ok, that's nothing too strange, just a bit over eager. It's gotten worse lately. The newest thing is shrieking at me if my girlfriend spends the night, since "we're not married and that's a sin against the lord". Never heard that before from him, considering he had a girl over all the time. Furthermore, I come home to see post-it notes on my door remarking "I really hope you don't join the ACLU and I don't have to report you for treason" and "You need to watch THIS" with a web address pointing to increasingly....strange conspiracy theories. But I've honestly lived with far worse, I can take living with a fundie if he stays out of my hair.

Then I come home to this today;

I enter with a fellow student to have lunch and discuss something from moot court. No big deal, done it a hundred times and I always clean up the resulting mess from our grease-truck lunch. After said friend leaves, my roomie storms out into the living room. I wonder what I've done to set him off, thinking I paid the utilities for both of us this month and have more or less kept to my self as exams loom large.

I proceed to be on the recieving end of the most vile, racist tirade I've heard outside of a video about klan meetings. About how I'm letting 'them' into our home when they're probably spies for the democrats. He wants me to sign an agreement saying we'll only let whites into the apartment from now on and invest in a fancy new security system.

I'm honestly rather terrified about this guy's personality shift. Do I call his folks and tell them their son's gone schizo? Quickly beg to move in with my girlfriend while I look for a new place?

Silver Jelly

Silver Jelly

I'm honestly rather terrified about this guy's personality shift. Do I call his folks and tell them their son's gone schizo? Quickly beg to move in with my girlfriend while I look for a new place?
do both.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

^Yep.

Troll

Troll

This story is so bizarre it's almost hard to believe. I agree with what everyone else said: move out, and contact your roommate's family to let them know about your concerns.

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

Get out of there. Now! No time to save the ficus!

Rob King

Rob King

What does your roommate do? Is he also a student?

And maybe this is an impolite question, but what race was your friend that set off the tirade? I know it doesn't matter in the end, but I'm curious.

makare

Woah, that is really scary. I would already be gone lol.

CrimsonSoul

CrimsonSoul

Don't be a pussy man, that guy seems legit.

bhamv3

bhamv3

Leave. Now.

Setting aside the obvious ideological issues, it sounds like your safety might be at risk here. This guy sounds seriously unhinged.

CrimsonSoul

Roomie

WHAT THE FUCK MAN I THOUGHT WE WERE BROS!?! THIS BETTER BE A FUCKING WHITE ONLY THREAD WITH NONE OF THOSE BLACKIES OR MEXXIES ON HERE! DAMNIT DUDE I THOUGHT WE WERE BETTER THAN THIS! FOR FUCKS SAKE! I THOUGHT YOU WERE A REAL PATRIOT MAN! WHITE FOR LIFE!

Wasabi Poptart

It makes sense to express your concerns to his family, but you may want to ask his parents (or sibling or whomever) come see him when you are still living there so they can witness this odd behavior. Maybe they are already aware of his problems. Is it possible that he has a diagnosed mental illness you are unaware of and that he has gone off of his medication?

I would certainly look for another place to live, especially considering with this last episode you say, "I wonder what I've done to set him off..." which suggests these rants are becoming more common and worrisome.

Math242

Math242

dude, be careful

General Specific

General Specific

If his parents go, "Yeah, and?" GET OUT! GET OUT NOW! RUN! GO! GET TO DA CHOPPAH!!

Philosopher B.

dude, be careful
Yeah, guy sounds like a real live wire.

Dave

Dave

If he goes to your school, contact the authorities and let them know what's going on. Contact his parents and let them know you are concerned.

MOVE THE FUCK OUT!! Quickly before he harms you or someone else.

Occasional Poster

Put a password on your computer and keep your room door locked if you can. Don't leave anything he can use to hurt you out where he has access to it. Get out of there as soon as possible.

Dave

Dave

That wasn't his roomie posting. It was a forumite with an alt. ( I know who it is!)

ElJuski

ElJuski

jeezus christ move out. Call his parents, and check to see if someone on campus can talk to him. Gotta be like, a counselor or something out there, right?

Chazwozel

Espy

Espy

Consider signing him up for Jersey Shore 2: Guidoer Boogaloo.

WolfOfOdin

UPDATE:

I'm staying at the girlfriend's for a while, I have to negotiate with the landlord to get my name off of the lease early while i look for a new place. Worst case I move in with her, she'll be happy that the rent will be reduce.

To Rob: Fellow student was black ,of course. I called his parents from the emergency list we have on our fridge and left a message, hopefully they'l get back to me. As of right now all my -valuable- possessions are either with me or in my GF's storage unit. Today was kind of the final straw. As I said, I can take run of the mill nut-jobs, but the paranoid ranty kind worry me something fierce. Will update more as stuff happens.

Rob King

Rob King

Good to hear. Sucks when you've got to deal with nut-jobs, but I hope things will work out.

Krisken

Krisken

That is a scary situation WolfofOdin. I think you have taken the right course of action, though. I hope his family is understanding and helpful.

Espy

Espy

Glad you got out man... stay safe and don't leave a forwarding address unless it's to a police station.

CrimsonSoul

CrimsonSoul

That wasn't his roomie posting. It was a forumite with an alt. ( I know who it is!)
Who was it? Inquiring minds want to know!

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Who was it? Inquiring minds want to know![/QUOTE]

Dave.

Green_Lantern

Green_Lantern

Good to know that you are alright, what did his parents said when you told them? This kind of thing can run in the family, you know.

phil

phil

I think I just figured out how to get my roommate and his annoying cat to move out. How many american flags would you recomend me getting? ( I might go with Texas flags to spice things up a bit)

But yeah, be sure that when you go back for your things either try to do so when he's not home or bring backup. Violence seems like the next step for that guy.

IronBrig4

IronBrig4

It's a good thing you're out of there. I'm pretty sure the university could offer counseling for him. It sounds like he finally cracked under midterm stress.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

Should have stayed. If he offed himself or got offed, you'd have gotten A's. Isn't that how it works?

Troll

Troll

Should have stayed. If he offed himself or got offed, you'd have gotten A's. Isn't that how it works?
I missed you. :laugh:

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

Good job on the getting out, and letting folks know. That would have scared the crap out of me.

Is he a local? 'Cause, honestly, if "those types" get to you, and your family isn't local, there's a lot better places to live than northern New Jersey, let alone Newark.

"Better" in this case meaning "more in fitting with worldviews", naturally.

Dusty668

Maybe Ving Rhames can find someone to help you move?

Cajungal

Cajungal

Be delicate if you do contact his family. There could be a deep-seeded reason for your roommate's behavior. They might not appreciate your concern, even if you mean well.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

I missed you. :laugh:[/QUOTE]

Ditto. Welcome back Shego!

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Hooch is crazy.

Rob King

Rob King

@Li3n

@Li3n

Sounds more like he's the one who would have gotten off'd... for spying for the democrats.

Kitty Sinatra

Who was it? Inquiring minds want to know![/QUOTE]

It was probably me. I had another one of my "episodes" yesterday. It was me, wasn't it, Dave?

Espy

Espy

So wait, black people spy for democrats? Invader was right!

*scribbles furiously in his notebook

fade

fade

One by one, his prophecies, and those set forth by his minion the Jannisary, will come to pass.

Chazwozel

I miss flame wars with that crazy bigot.

Gusto

Gusto

I should've paid more attention to Invader. I never really realized how crazy he may have been, based on these second-hand testimonials.

Philosopher B.

Invader was hilarious. People complain about GB's lack of brevity, but Invader could make a wall of text that'd make your hair curl.

Cajungal

Cajungal

My first "Halforum" dream when we moved away from HP was about him, weirdly enough. I dreamed I found the person behind the avatar and we talked about what he'd been up to. Weird stuff, considering I'd only chatted with him before and never had a debate with the guy.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I'd say Invader was his roomie, but he was like that pre-election. We haven't seen him since then, so I imagine he's in a bunker somewhere.

Espy

Espy

You know the funny thing about Invader was, even if he went a little far right he always stayed really civil. He avoided insulting and raging, etc, even when the majority of people who debated him just lost it. I loved to watch it, either he was the best troll or just a remarkably calm person.

@Gusto: He wasn't crazy like that, I was really just joking about how people who argued with him made him out to be. He was no Hypnotron or anything. That was a level of crazy that we still haven't gotten back to... thankfully.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Dammit, Espy, I'd forgotten about Hypnotron. And unlike Invader, who I never got into arguments but did note how over the edge he was (calm or not, he had issues), I did argue with Hypnotron a couple times on Image. I also remember... someone... starting with a C... dammit, I can't remember. He really hated Chaz.

Espy

Espy

Someone with a c? There was cop-hating Crun, but I think he and Chaz were good buddies but that dude could RAGE up a storm. Hypno was just grade A nuts.

Chazwozel

Someone with a c? There was cop-hating Crun, but I think he and Chaz were good buddies but that dude could RAGE up a storm. Hypno was just grade A nuts.

Crun and I got along just fine.

---------- Post added at 11:38 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:37 AM ----------

Dammit, Espy, I'd forgotten about Hypnotron. And unlike Invader, who I never got into arguments but did note how over the edge he was (calm or not, he had issues), I did argue with Hypnotron a couple times on Image. I also remember... someone... starting with a C... dammit, I can't remember. He really hated Chaz.

Who doesn't? Only person I can think if that had serious issues with me was Tiq.

@Li3n

@Li3n

Actually they just pretend to work for the dems, the truth is that they're all fascist communists, aka Obamunists.

Krisken

Krisken

I never understood how open borders = un-American.

I didn't hate Invader, or really get ragey with him. He was always calmly super crazy, but that just meant I had an easier time ignoring it.

fade

fade

@Li3n

@Li3n

Well you don't want to end up like the Injuns, do you?!

bigcountry23

bigcountry23

Stock up on "O" 2008 stickers and randomly put them on the door.

General Specific

General Specific

.[/QUOTE]

Derk er DERRR!

Shannow

Shannow

Wait, where is the issue here? This guy seemed like he was on the right track.

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

Was never sure whether invader was a troll or not. He was flat out crazy, but he never seeme to really get upset and start making wild denunciations (like hypno used to).

It did make him easier to talk to. And I don't recall him ever really bringing politics out of political threads, unless someone else did it first.

Deschain

At least he is not a furry.

WolfOfOdin

Further Update:

Got the rest of my stuff today, he wasn't home. I talked to his parents at length and they were a weird mixture of nonchalant and weary sounding, like they've used to it but they've heard about this kind of nonsense before.

My thing is that I'm sad to have seen someone slide into what looks like madness. Before the lunacy started he was a rather uptight guy, but nothing too bad. I'm not a psychologist though, so who knows. Also talked to the land-lord. I still have to pay this month's portion of the rent (fine by me) but if I'm willing to take a 25% drop in the amount of my security deposit refund, she has no real issue with letting me off the lease. Either or I'm going to use that money as seed capital for a new apartment and save some for the erm...ring I'm eventually buying for the gf.

Thanks for the advice, odd as the situation was, it does mean a lot.

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

make sure you end up with something in writing from the landlord once it's all said and done.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Either or I'm going to use that money as seed capital for a new apartment and save some for the erm...ring I'm eventually buying for the gf.
Wooooooo!

makare

"they took his doog" i love that.

Also, obamunist... I haven't heard that one. Man those people are excellent wordsmiths. Haha *tears*

WolfOfOdin

make sure you end up with something in writing from the landlord once it's all said and done.
I trust the landlord, Tin. She's always been straight with me and vice versa. That being said, you're talking to someone who's in Law School. I know my way around a contract :)

drawn_inward

drawn_inward

Good grief, roommates seriously suck. I've had my fair share of nuttos, but nothing like this, thank God.

Pre-congrats on the ring!

CrimsonSoul

CrimsonSoul

Speaking of Obama, I saw this bumper sticker the other day

One
Big
Ass
Mistake,
America

makare

Speaking of Obama, I saw this bumper sticker the other day

One
Big
Ass
Mistake,
America
I told ya, wordsmiths!
I heard that one before though on facebook. I chewed my friend out for it well before I remembered that she is an idiot. Yes, I called my friend an idiot but she is one. She has many good qualities but intelligence is not even on the list.

CrimsonSoul

CrimsonSoul

I chewed my friend out for it well before I remembered that she is an idiot.
never argue with an idiot! They'll just drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience!

---------- Post added at 06:04 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:03 AM ----------

I trust the landlord, Tin. She's always been straight with me and vice versa. That being said, you're talking to someone who's in Law School. I know my way around a contract :)[/QUOTE]

I've been with my wife for 7 odd years but it doesn't mean I know my way around her vagina

makare

But but he is THE law student... the one who will inherit Blackacre and then convey it to his heirs.... and all will become one.

WolfOfOdin

But but he is THE law student... the one who will inherit Blackacre and then convey it to his heirs.... and all will become one.
Sadly I am not Optimus Prime. Yet

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

I've been with my wife for 7 odd years but it doesn't mean I know my way around her vagina
That's pretty sad.

Troll

Troll

That's pretty sad.[/QUOTE]

I was thinking the same thing.

@Li3n

@Li3n

I was thinking the same thing.[/QUOTE]

Only for his wife...

Chazwozel

Shannow

Shannow

:facepalm:

CrimsonSoul

CrimsonSoul

Ok, don't make vagina jokes around halforums, gotcha!

Dave

Dave

No, just don't say you're married and can't satisfy your wife.

Which is what your joke sounded like.

CrimsonSoul

CrimsonSoul

That's what she said!

Am I doing it right?

Silver Jelly

Silver Jelly

Am I doing it right?
That's what you said!

ElJuski

ElJuski

Which is what your joke sounded like.
The man can't satisfy his wife, Dave lay off

Kitty Sinatra

See, Dave knows. He can't satisfy his wife either, but he don't go around saying so.

bhamv3

bhamv3

Wait wait wait, why is Dave trying to satisfy CrimsonSoul's wife?

Krisken

Krisken

Because Crimson Soul can't. I hear it's a forum service.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Dave: Husband, Father, Internet Gigolo

Espy

Espy

This has quickly become my favorite thread. Also: MY WIFE IS SATISFIED DAVE YOU LEAVE HER ALONE!

Rob King

Rob King

I wonder if Baby Espy is actually Dave's lovechild.

Espy ... did your father satisfy your mother? That's the real question. It would also explain the emotional issues leading to your taking up smoking, and your ability to satisfy your wife (sexual ability is inherited down the male line, don't you know?)

Dave

Dave

This has quickly become my favorite thread. Also: MY WIFE IS SATISFIED DAVE YOU LEAVE HER ALONE!
That's what she tells YOU.

She fakes it.

CrimsonSoul

CrimsonSoul

I think I should start lurking again lol

Dave

Dave

No worries, man. Just roll with it.

Krisken

Krisken

No worries, man. Just roll with it.
See, now THAT'S what she said.

That's how you do it CrimsonSoul

Charlie Don't Surf

The Lovely Boehner

I love vaginas and satisfaction.

Espy

Espy

What if you can't get no satisfaction?

Calleja

Calleja

Mick Jagger was using double negative to rub in all of our faces the fact that he was swimming in women.

Null

Null

What if you can't get no satisfaction?[/QUOTE]

Then you nearly get punched out a window into a freezing canal by Charlie Watts.

Dusty668

That actually sounds kinda fun...

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

then you ...

try, and try, and you try try ta try try try... /DEVO

Null

Null

2nd option:

Then you must be married to Crimson Soul.

Charlie Don't Surf

The Lovely Boehner

I'd be more worried about not being able to give satisfaction, honestly.

@Li3n

@Li3n

And that's why you're only a lovely boner...

Wasabi Poptart

And that's why you're only a lovely boner...[/QUOTE]

I think it would be worse if he was a lonely boner.

crono1224

And that's why you're only a lovely boner...[/QUOTE]

I think it would be worse if he was a lonely boner.[/QUOTE]

For a second I thought that was actually his name, it would be a funny emo name.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

This thread is killing me with laughter.