Narcoleptic Computer (computer trouble)

Status
Not open for further replies.
For the last 4 days or so, my computer shuts down on it's own around 11.30 pm. The first two days, it happenned shortly after turning on a little heater thing and I thought it was some problem related to too many appliances connected at once.
But yesterday and today, it's done it without any heating involved.
If it wasn't that it shuts down at approximately the same time every day, I'd just assume it's broken... but can this "schedule" mean there's some other kind of problem? Some counter, virus, whatever?

Are there any scheduled events? (Start -> Settings -> Control Panel -> Scheduled Tasks)

Do you have any anti-virus or spyware programs that run a check everyday?

Are there any scheduled events? (Start -> Settings -> Control Panel -> Scheduled Tasks)
there's just one, but the day and the time don't mach with my problem. Should I change it anyway?

Do you have any anti-virus or spyware programs that run a check everyday?
I have Eset Nod 32 Antivirus, apparently. I know nothing about it, though, because I know nothing about computers and have a friend of mine do most of what is involved with them!

Nod 32 hasn't given em any problems w/ random shutdowns or the like, it's not supposed to do anything like that. Have you asked your computer-ey friend if he has any idea of what it could be?

Just to be on the safe side, run the Nod32 Scanner on your drive(s) to see if you have any harmful stuff.

Just to be on the safe side, run the Nod32 Scanner on your drive(s) to see if you have any harmful stuff.
Doing it right now. Let's see what happens.

(My computery friend has a problem, though. He knows stuff about computers... when they are working correctly. His solution to this kind of problem would probably be formatting the computer...)

Well, he would've at least told you to run the scan...
Actually, you should be able to do that when you suspect you have a virus without anyone telling you ¬¬

Unless it's new, replace the power supply and clean the fans. It wouldn't surprise me if a dodgy power supply was reacting to someone's furnace kicking on at 11:30 next door, causing a powerline glitch.

Unless it's new, replace the power supply and clean the fans. It wouldn't surprise me if a dodgy power supply was reacting to someone's furnace kicking on at 11:30 next door, causing a powerline glitch.
I would also try a different surge protector. If there's a surge in the line, it might be shutting off to avoid damage. In essence nothing's broken, but creating a scenario where it looks like it. Try getting a good surge protector before you put down the money on a power supply and fans. At the very least you've just better protected your system from surges.

SJ, is this problem still happening?

I'm a bit curious because of how odd it is.

(Is this obsession with the fix the beginning stages of becoming the House of computer diagnostics)

I did nothing technical, I just opened the case, and it stopped happening... but before it dit, it turned itself off during the day and not at 11:30.

My theory is that it overheats, because since I opened the case and the weather has been colder in Barcelona, it's working fine! (I can also touch the part of the compute that I think got overheated and now it's much colder.

I think watching streaming episodes of Twin Peaks was what made it become too hot.

I'll have my computery friend install me a new fan or something.

Try cleaning the fans before installing new ones! Also, clean all the dust inside the case.

I think those should help with overheating

Status
Not open for further replies.