Votes: 4 19.0%
  • No

Votes: 8 38.1%
  • Don't use Netflix

Votes: 9 42.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, Jessie Becker here, VP Marketing, with an update about changes we are making today to our plans and prices.

First, we are now offering a new $7.99 a month plan which lets you instantly watch unlimited TV episodes and movies streamed to your computer or TV. This plan does not include any DVDs. All the titles you can watch instantly on your current plan are also available on this new plan, and as a reminder, not all titles on DVD are available to watch instantly. This new plan is available immediately - if you’d like to switch to this new plan at any time, simply visit Your Account.

Second, we are increasing the prices on our unlimited plans that offer both watching instantly and DVDs by mail. On our two most popular unlimited plans – the 1 DVD out at a time and 2 DVDs out at a time – the price is increasing by $1 a month. We’ve also included below the changes on all the plans. To see how these changes impact your Netflix account, visit Membership Details.

Why the changes? Our selection of TV episodes and movies available to stream has grown dramatically, and as a result most members want us to deliver unlimited TV episodes and movies two ways: streaming instantly over the internet plus DVDs by mail. The price increase will allow us to continue to offer the popular plan choice of unlimited TV episodes and movies streaming instantly along with unlimited DVDs. The new plan, which does not include DVDs, is a great option for the increasing number of members who only want to watch instantly. The $7.99 a month price reflects no DVD shipping costs on this plan.

You might also wonder why we haven’t introduced a new plan that includes only DVDs by mail. The fact is that Netflix members are already watching more TV episodes and movies streamed instantly over the Internet than on DVDs, and we expect that trend to continue. Creating the best user experience that we can around watching instantly is how we’re spending the vast majority of our time and resources. Because of this, we are not creating any plans that are focused solely on DVDs by mail.

To avoid any confusion, here are the new prices on our plans:

We hope you’re enjoying great TV shows and movies from Netflix, and that you’ll continue to enjoy Netflix on whichever plan you choose. We realize you have lots of home entertainment options, and we thank you for your business. As always, if you have any questions, please call us at 800-715-2146.

So will you be switching to the new streaming only plan?

For me personally even though I am annoyed that the plan I currently have is having it's price raised (only a $1 but still) I still heavily rely on the DVD part so I am sticking with the DVD plan for now.

There are still a lot of titles that aren't available for streaming. It's definitely a touch choice, to be sure.

M

Matt²

...RENT movies? ... foreign words to me... if I want a movie I wait till it goes down to the $5 bin at Walmart.. unless I REALLY want it and I pay $10-$20 for it.

I will stick with my 1 DVD a month plan. 10 bucks a month for that and streaming is a pretty damn good deal.

Netflix has been pretty open about how they've been shifting their business model in favor of streaming over DVD rentals so this isn't really a surprise to me. With the announcement of this new plan I am strongly considering getting a subscription so I've got movies to watch while I'm in Prague next spring/summer.

We have the $7.99 streaming plan. It's fine for what it is - you have an itch to scratch movie-wise and it's available quickly and painlessly over the web. The fact that the PS3 has the Netflix app makes it that much easier to watch it on the big TV.

J

Jiarn

I'm switching to stream only.

If there's something new coming out I want to see, I've always used Redbox. No need to wait the 1-2 days for Netflix to send it to me.

If there's something older that I want to watch that isn't on Instant Que, I rent it from Amazon for $1-3 and still watch it online.

1 DVD at a time here. An extra $2 a month for the 3 or 4 movies that I actually want to watch the Blu-Ray for or aren't on streaming is well worth it for me.

Dave

Staff member
I don't have a credit card. Netflix doesn't want me.

I even have a Roku unit that I can't use.

I don't have a credit card. Netflix doesn't want me.

I even have a Roku unit that I can't use.
You can purchase visa gift cards at many places. It gets around the credit card issue if you are really interested in it, and you don't need to worry about the recurring fees. A $25 gift card would give you 3 months of online streaming.

We use redbox for our rental needs, though, and until we start renting 2+ movies a week, it doesn't make financial sense to go for netflix. On the other hand, we use Hulu a lot, so if that went away (and they are slowing pushing the "hulu plus" subscription down the line so that you have to wait longer and longer to see something for free) then we might actually consider paying for our entertainment.

I am considering canceling my Netflix account since I get it streaming through my xbox with my XBLA Gold account that I am paying for anyway.

Might keep it though since I only rent movies for my kids on DvD but they are now watching it on the Xbox too so....

...RENT movies? ... foreign words to me... if I want a movie I wait till it goes down to the $5 bin at Walmart.. unless I REALLY want it and I pay $10-$20 for it.
Yeah, if you've never watched a movie and want to give it a shot, you buy it. Bull. I bet you pirate.

I'm gonna stick with the 1-a-month. I thought I was already paying $10, so it doesn't change in my head.

I will stick with my 1 DVD a month plan. 10 bucks a month for that and streaming is a pretty damn good deal.
Same here. Paying an extra dollar a month doesn't bother me in the least. I love the instant stream as I always find something to watch when there is absolutely nothing else on tv. I use the 1 dvd out at a time to catch up on movies or tv series not available online. Got through four seasons of It's Always Sunny this way.

Yeah, if you've never watched a movie and want to give it a shot, you buy it. Bull. I bet you pirate.

[/QUOTE]

Man, I know so many people who only buy movies. It seems very strange to me but, they do it.

[/QUOTE]

Man, I know so many people who only buy movies. It seems very strange to me but, they do it.[/QUOTE]

...Wal-mart pirates.

R

rabbitgod

I was planning on switching down to 2 per anyway. I might go down to 1 next semester.

I hate you americans for having things like this. Here it's even hard to find regular DVD renting, because piracy has killed it. Now you either buy or pirate, for most movies (You can still rent, but the catalogue is very very limited).

J

Joe Johnson

I'll probably move from 3 to 2 movies, but I won't go streaming only until they offer more. Plus, I just bought a Blu ray player dangit, so I need to get some use out of that first (it also streams Netflix anyway).

I am considering canceling my Netflix account since I get it streaming through my xbox with my XBLA Gold account that I am paying for anyway.

Might keep it though since I only rent movies for my kids on DvD but they are now watching it on the Xbox too so....
As far as I'm aware, and maybe I'm reading this wrong, you have to have both the XBLA Gold account AND a netflix account in order to access Netflix using your XBOX 360.

I've made the switch to the $7.99 plan. While it was nice to have access to blu-ray via mail, we'd never watch the ones we received, so it's a waste for us.

Edit - fixed.

Yeah, I'm aware of that bit of grammar, yet it always slips my mind. i even looked at your edit and was like "fixed what?" then I realized what I'd done.

C

Chibibar

[/QUOTE]

Man, I know so many people who only buy movies. It seems very strange to me but, they do it.[/QUOTE]

...Wal-mart pirates.[/QUOTE]

Hey. I still legally purchase them even if it was $5 :)

figmentPez

Staff member

I thought you had to have a Netflix subscription and an XBLA Gold to watch streaming Netflix on the 360. I didn't think it was either/or.

I thought you had to have a Netflix subscription and an XBLA Gold to watch streaming Netflix on the 360. I didn't think it was either/or.[/QUOTE]

You need both.

I thought you had to have a Netflix subscription and an XBLA Gold to watch streaming Netflix on the 360. I didn't think it was either/or.[/QUOTE]

You need both.[/QUOTE]

Interesting. A buddy of mine just setup a gold account, doesn't have a netflix account and it worked for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.