Netflix's Watch Instantly

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

cvgurau

What really great movies (or television?) have you watched on Netflix's Watch Instantly that you otherwise might not have seen? (Pan's Labyrinth, Let The Right One In (Fucking fantastic, those two), The Office UK, Wall-E, Serenity (those last two I'd seen before, but it was great to watch them again on a whim), Priceless, the Man From Earth, Coupling UK (4 seasons of Stephen Moffet? Fuck yeah) Primer, Close Encounters of the Third Kind ... there are dozens.)

Conversely, what shouldn't be approached with a ten-foot pole? (The Host)

God, I loved Seaquest. I still don't know if I prefer Roy Shyder or Michael Ironside as the better captain. They're both just so awsome.

I love Watch Instantly so much my husband should be jealous.

I watched the entire first series of Ghost in the Shell, and Heroes Season 2 (enjoyed it a lot, started season 3 tonight, didn't enjoy as much). I'm somewhere in the middle of David Attenborough's Life of Birds series. That's just off the top of my head.

I also use it just to store TV shows and movies I enjoy in case I'm somewhere with my laptop and want to watch something.

P

Pojodan

Trouble is I don't like sitting at my computer to watch movies. I want to recline on a couch or rocking chair, but I have to shift my furnature all over the place to accomplish this, so I stick with watching movies on my TV, even though it's the same size at my monitor :p

C

cvgurau

I'm watching a few episodes of Miami Ink's first season; initially because I wanted to see Kat Von D in her first TV appearances (girl was [Stewie]faaaaaaaaaat[/Stewie], but now just because it's a good show, with awesome artwork.

Making me want to get some tattoos, really. Which probably means I should stop watching Miami Ink. I mean, good God, can you imagine? (Well, you can't. But I can, so believe me, you don't want to.)

here is a list of good shit (TM). I haven't seen like 10% of it, but it's movies that have been universally recommended by respected friends and colleagues.

Wall E
Persepolis
Pan's Labrynth
A Few Good Men
Unforgiven
Die Hard
Full Metal Jacket
Gandhi
Cool Hand Luke
Vertigo
Bridge on the River Kwai
Singin' in the Rain
Casablanca
The Maltese Falcon
Let the Right One In
Pineapple Express
The Terminator
JCVD
Blade Runner
Best in Show
Barton Fink
No country for Old Men
Shawshank Redemption
Braveheart
Young Frankenstein
The Fugitive
Terminator 2
Hunt for Red October
Glory
Das Boot
Enter the Dragon
The Exorcist
Dr. Strangelove
Strangers on a Train
Grindhouse
As Good as it Gets
Misery
Ghostbusters
Karate Kid
The Natural
Psycho
The Third Man

Wow, all that's on Netflix Instant?

Let me be one to say DAYUM. I remember 2 years ago, everything on Instant was complete shit that no one would ever rent.

escushion said:
Wow, all that's on Netflix Instant?

Let me be one to say DAYUM. I remember 2 years ago, everything on Instant was complete shit that no one would ever rent.
They have been adding stuff super quick. And they have a partnership with Starz where they get every movie on Starz, which has some recent big movies like Step Brothers, House Bunny, and some others

OOH, I just checked www.instantwatcher.com to see the newest stuff, and the first 4 seasons of Lost are on there now :)

S

Steven Soderburgin

Gotta second Primer and everything that Charlie Don't Surf posted (especially the stuff he hasn't seen, like Blade Runner or Casablanca)

Every time one of these threads pop up on a forum, I always recommend the extensive documentary selection. It's fantastic. A few choice options:

The King Of Kong
No End In Sight
Man On Wire
Little Dieter Needs To Fly
Lessons of Darkness
Bigger Stronger Faster
Born Into Brothels
American Movie
Surfwise
Crumb
Helvetica
Roman Polanski: Wanted And Desired
Standard Operating Procedure
Fast, Cheap & Out of Control

They also have a bunch of Ken Burns stuff, and they have the Up series from 21 to the most recent (49). I wish they had the first two parts, though, because it is completely fascinating.
cvgurau said:
Conversely, what shouldn't be approached with a ten-foot pole? (The Host)
I'm curious what you didn't like about it. It's certainly not a conventional monster movie, but I thought it was rather good.

Kissinger said:
I'm curious what you didn't like about it. It's certainly not a conventional monster movie, but I thought it was rather good.
Yep, Host was a nice little Japanese Monster Movie. Which is exactly what it was. If you don't like the genre, you won't like Host.

I watch about 1-2 vids a day on Instant Watch, I'm completely addicted. They have ALOT of great Stand-Up specials, the Horror section though, leaves alot to be desired as well as most of the Sci-Fi stuff.

L

Lally

We love the Instant Queue! I especially love that it runs off the 360 as well, so we don't have to watch it on a computer screen.

I can't think of any great movies that haven't been named already, but we watched "The IT Crowd" because it was streaming. Funny little British show, I definitely recommend it.

Like ZM, I also watched Ghost In The Shell, although it was something that was on my "Anime Must-Watch" list anyway. BUT, as far as things I wouldn't have watched, "Last Exile" is an interesting (so far) anime that I caught on Instant and watched the first five or so episodes. I had never even heard of it before.

Does anyone else diligently sort their Instant Queue? Every time my boyfriends adds new stuff, I have to go back behind him and categorize everything, so when it shows up on the 360, all of the comedies, horror movies, anime, etc., are all grouped together?

I watched some campy stuff I'd never seen, like My Name Is Bruce and Toxic Avenger. Also caught up on all the Doctor Who stuff (had to watch the last season on DVD though). Re-watched Batman, Batman Returns, and a couple other things. Thinking about hitting up Iron Giant and Step Brothers sometime soon.

L

Lally

Iron Giant is on my queue right now. I missed it when I was younger and I probably wouldn't have thought twice about it except for all the praise I've heard for it around here, so I'm going to check it out at some point soon.

C

crono1224

Shegokigo said:
Kissinger said:
Yep, Host was a nice little Japanese Monster Movie. Which is exactly what it was. If you don't like the genre, you won't like Host.
:p its South Korean.

C

cvgurau

Just saw "Chocolate" (asian film, not the one with Johnny Depp). Basic story is, autistic asian girl learns to kick ass by watching TV. And then proceeds to kick much ass. Basically, the result is a 90-minute-long "River v. the Reavers" fight.

I totally mean that in a good way.

....whoa....I need to know how you setup netflix with the xbox 360... I want to watch mah movies in HD (if movie allows) on my 63 inch flat screen.

Pojodan said:
Trouble is I don't like sitting at my computer to watch movies. I want to recline on a couch or rocking chair, but I have to shift my furnature all over the place to accomplish this, so I stick with watching movies on my TV, even though it's the same size at my monitor :p
I have the 360 hooked up in the office with the watch instantly but for the rest of the house I got one of these:
http://www.roku.com/

One of the best G-d damned purchases I've made. I love the Roku.

L

Lally

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY

I had all of Eddie Izzard's DVDs on my queue because I haven't seen them all and the ones I have seen it's been a while, and now they all say "coming soon to instant" beside them.

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GfPg5LjGYz8:10setibd][/youtube:10setibd]

Status
Not open for further replies.