Export thread

New Addon - Calling all DJs!!

Dave

Dave

Some of you may or may not have noticed that there's a new thing on the sidebar. I know I've tried to do radio stuff in the past but it's never really worked out because nobody could really share their musical tastes. Now we've fixed that. It's still not perfect but we're getting closer.

In the sidebar there's now a place to put buttons that will play music set up from Playlist.com. They have a LOT of music and we can set our own playlists. I've already started mine and you can access it simply by clicking the button marked "Dave's Infinite Playlist".

Now, I know that not everyone likes my kind of music so I created an account at www.playlist.com with

Login: halforums
password: halforums

Not sure how many can be on at any 1 time so if you go in and it kicks you out we may have to do something to get people time in.

The button for everyone to use is called Halforums Radio and ANYONE can add songs to it. So we're going to have a pretty good mixture there.

If you want to share your own playlist you can do that by creating an account with playlist.com and filling it all out. Then click "Share My Playlist", set your configuration and click "Get Code". Copy the embed code and get that to me (not sure if it will do weird things in a PM but we can try) along with a button made at Cool Text Button Generator. Use the Size 14 font, please. Once I have all of that I will upload the code and you'll have your own playlist that everyone can enjoy.

This playlist is a popup and uses flash, but you can listen to any song in the playlist, start it over if you want, shuffle the play order (default on mine is shuffle), pause...hell you can do about anything!

Enjoy and let me know if you have any issues as this is new to me, too.

Dave

Dave

You may want to listen to a song before you add it to your playlist. I've found some that were not as advertised.

General Specific

General Specific

Also spelling could be an issue. "Beattles," "beetles" (while correct for the insect, not correct for the band), and "Clasic" Rock. Some people, eh, Dave? :p

Dave

Dave

Yeah, well. Take the Barenaked Ladies song "One Week". There's a girl named Shannon who recorded herself singing it and it's on the list about 20 times. I did find an actual recording of the BNL singing it but it took a little searching.

As I said, it's not perfect but it's the best I've seen so far as it allows us to have control of what's in there.

---------- Post added at 10:39 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:38 AM ----------

Oh, and that spelling issue was in the addon and I can't figure out how to get rid of it. Mine's not Hip Hop, either.

---------- Post added at 10:41 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:39 AM ----------

Found it

Null

Null

This is awesome. I was able to find a lot of what I was looking to add.

Dave

Dave

Cool! So there's more than just the 2 Beatles tunes in the HF radio now?

Sweet! I had no idea someone remain Who Wants to Live Forever. That was neat!

---------- Post added at 12:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:58 PM ----------

And how the hell did I miss the Diary of Jane on my list?!?

Soliloquy

So, where's this sidebar? I can't find it.

Dave

Dave

Go to the main Forum page (http://www.halforums.com/forum/forum.php) and it's on the right side. If you've minimized it then you'll have to click the little arrows to expand it.

Null

Null

Yeah, there's about 50 songs on there now.../innocent whistle

Soliloquy

Ah, See it now.

This is cool. It's like... a culmination of everything halforums likes.

Dave

Dave

And as people add their own this is going to be a very interesting mix and you can skip the ones you don't like!

Soliloquy

I didn't put too many on. I don't want people to have to suffer through my bizarre taste in music. If I had gone on for too long, I would have gotten into musical soundtracks.

Vagabond

V.Bond

This be awesome.

Dave

Dave

Remember, if you want to run your own station you can. Just have to follow the steps in the OP.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Back when Launchcast was alive, I had a 5000+ rated channel all my own... then it got bought by Yahoo and became Yahoo music... and then they just shut it down. All the work I put into building my channel just evaporated... burned me a bit. So now I don't build vast playlists or rating systems for anything that isn't stored where I can get to it at will. But you guys have fun.

Dave

Dave

I had over 13,000 +, Gas. I feel your pain. Oh my GOD do I feel your pain.

The closest I've found since then is Pandora and that's not nearly as robust. Hell, I used to PAY for Launchcast!

Calleja

Calleja

This won't work for those of us outside the US :cry:

Dave

Dave

I also found out I can set up MP3s in which to link. So I can set up a podcast button and fuck TalkShoe.

Now all we have to do is figure out how to record them...

Calleja

Calleja

The warning message says SOME of the songs won't play in my country, but NONE of the Halforums Radio songs are playable. Screw you guys, I'm going home....by which I mean songbird.

Dave

Dave

Really? Are you fucking kidding me? God damn it.

I even checked beforehand to see if it would play in other countries and the answer I got back was: "Yes."

Dave

Dave

They have no Pink Floyd. No fucking Pink Floyd. What the hell?

---------- Post added at 12:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:25 PM ----------

My list is up over 100 now though. :biggrin:

Cajungal

Cajungal

Nifty! Thanks, Forumdad!

Oddbot

Cool idea. Added some stuff to the Halforums list.

Wasabi Poptart

They have no Pink Floyd. No fucking Pink Floyd. What the hell?
I found some songs by looking up the titles instead of the artists. Pinky Floyd is the artist name for "Brain Damage".

GasBandit

GasBandit

Alright, so I talked myself into messing around with it. A couple minutes and I've constructed the beginnings of the most bipolar playlist ever, Gas Bandit's Neverending Parade of Droning and Hate.

Dave

Dave

If you want a button you'll have to follow the OP & PM me the HTML and the link to the button graphic.

GasBandit

GasBandit

If you want a button you'll have to follow the OP & PM me the HTML and the link to the button graphic.
Guess that's what I get for skimming.

LordRavage

Woot! Thanks Dave. I am digging all the music channels.

Rob King

Rob King

Gas, I must thank you for introducing me to the likes of both Infected Mushroom and Wippenburg.

I can foresee myself spending money on music in the very near future ... :|

GasBandit

GasBandit

Gas, I must thank you for introducing me to the likes of both Infected Mushroom and Wippenburg.

I can foresee myself spending money on music in the very near future ... :|
See, there's this thing called THE INTERNET that makes you not have to do that.

Rob King

Rob King

I prefer to pay. No judgment on those who don't. It's just something I feel good about doing.

Dave

Dave

That and if nobody paid we'd never hear of new bands...

Dave

Dave

I just added the 150th song in my list. Ben Folds "The Luckiest".

I'm sorry to non-US people. But I love these.

Frank

Frankie Williamson

I have yet to have an issue with any of the music. North Americans who aren't Mexican rejoice!

Oh fiddlesticks, no Ashley MacIsaac (or very, very little).

Rob King

Rob King

I've had issues with a few songs from GB's list, but I haven't really played with it since I fooled around with it that once.

GasBandit

GasBandit

I've had issues with a few songs from GB's list, but I haven't really played with it since I fooled around with it that once.
Which songs? The hosting methods (or rather, lack of) used by playlist.com make it so that the songs are at the mercy of the cloud as to whether they play or not. In instances where more than one copy of a given song was available, I tried to find the one with the best loading time.

Frank

Frankie Williamson

Yeah, that's what I was doing as well. I have yet to find a song I couldn't listen too as well and I've been through several hundred now.

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

Damn, Frankie.... done a good job of snagging some ones that were iconic for me in high school! Nicely done

Frank

Frankie Williamson

Heh, me too, it's almost all music from my childhood/high school days.

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

Also, I saw what you did there with Instruments of Destruction. *grins*