[NFL] NFL Thread

A complete breakdown of the Chargers video:

1. First of all, that is, indeed, the "Los Angeles Chargers" in Kanji in the first slide.

2. The four players looking at the tower with the Lombardi Trophy are, of course, the four QB's of the AFC West (Wilson, Carr, Herbert, Mahomes).

3. The four featured players were Justin Herbert, Khalil Mack, Darwin James, and head coach Brandon Staley. Their names were properly translated, thank you.

4. The Raiders logo is an "homage" to the anime One Piece.

5. If we have to explain what the Jaguars slide means, you weren't paying attention to the NFL in 2021. (Google "Urban Meyer bar photo.") If you happen to catch the small dig in that the Jags play a home game every year in the UK, that's a bonus.

6. The dig at the Texans is that their "gunslinger" is wearing the number... zero.

7. Oh, Cleveland... The kanji under the "Redacted" part on the Cleveland slide said, "Cleveland is boring." This is probably the ultimate troll, TBH.

8. The Broncos, of course, is Russell Wilson (Let Russ Cook and Mr. Unlimited).

9. The Seattle slide... of course, it's raining. Yes, that's a Russell Wilson doll on the first tombstone, with the words "THX 4 RUSS <3 DEN." The graveyard has five tombstones:
  • LEGION OF BOOM 2011-2018 (The Seahawks' famed defensive squad in their "glory" years)
  • SUPER BOWL 49 GOAL LINE RUN PLAYS (The most famous interception in SB history)
  • 2001 SEATTLE MARINERS (Best record in MLB history - who lost in the first round of the AL playoffs; M's haven't been back to the post season since.)
  • MINA KIMES' FOOTBALL HOPES AND DREAMS (Kimes, an ESPN analyst and the Rams' pre-season PBP announcer, is a Seahawks fan)
  • DENNY DUQUETTE / GEORGE O'MALLEY / LEXIE GREY / McSTEAMY / McDREAMY (Five characters from the TV show Grey's Anatomy, set in Seattle)
10. The Warrior In Repose for the bye week.

11. This one is borderline $#!+talking: the black Falcon comes flying in... and hits a Waffle House sign. (Waffle House being a noted Georgia-based chain of restaurants). BUT... the bird hit the W head-on, and then we see the sign underneath: "28% OFF 3 WAFFLES OR MORE." Again, if you don't know what 28-3 means, ask any Patriots fan (before you smack them in the mouth).

12. The two "warriors" riding the epic bears into battle - California rivalry, of course. And that's supposed to be Jimmy Garoppolo (I think?) against Herbert on the right.

13. The slight troll of the Chiefs comes with the KC/LA mechs again - but this time, the MAHOMES MECH is being piloted by Andy Reid, while the HERBERT MECH is being controlled by Staley. Another little dig: Reid has a cheeseburger on the side of the control panel (Reid is a lover of cheeseburgers, and appeared on an episode of Guy Fieri's Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives), as opposed to Staley's coffee cup. The "Go For It" button that Staley smashes was briefly referenced in the opening montage, as the Chargers went for it on 4th Down the most times in the AFC in 2021.

14. The little montage indicates the NFL trading deadline (and the two twitter accounts of the NFL Network and ESPN, namely @RapSheet and @AdamSchefter). Wrapped around this is Mike Williams making a "spectacular" catch, followed by Austin Ekeler strumming a guitar with a grin. This is followed by J.C. Jackson running off into a "bright future."

15. The Cardinals – ouch. The background is supposed to be Arizona (though that looks a lot more like New Mexico, TBH), and the weird shape is a stylized "L". The reference to "Delete All Posts?" was from Kyler Murray scrubbing all references to Arizona from his social medial accounts. (By the way, the kanji next to each number in the schedule slides is Japanese for "The Week Of.")

16. The Raiders again, and it's the same ship… except now, it's in a bottle. In a dumpster. Next to AB's Discarded Helmets. Next to a Chuckie doll. Not sure what the D-140 means; the Chargers and Raiders have only played each other 125 times (regular and post-season).

17. Of course they have the Chargers riding a Dolphin. It's anime, right?

18. The Titan, of course, is Derrick Henry. The graffiti says "Bolt XTXiXtXaXnX Up!" And "AJ wuz here" – trolling the shocking trade of their star WR AJ Brown to Philadelphia at the draft.

19. The Colts was a direct jab at Pat Macafee, podcaster and Colt apologist. That is him (in his FOR THE BRAND shirt) operating the ride named "COLTS QUARTERBACK CAROUSEL." The QB's are, in order: Bryan Hoyer, Carson Wentz, Philip Rivers (the "bolo" tie), and Jacoby Brissett.

20. The Rams "head" is seen practicing "burning magic" with their five traded draft picks, in front of the Hollywood sign – which they have covered with "RAMS HOUSE" (but the cover of the "O" peels away to reveal the "W"). This, of course, refers to the Chargers and Rams "sharing" SoFi Stadium – and that they will get "0" wins against the Chargers.

21. Back in Denver with Russell – but this time, a subtle jab at the "Let Russ Cook" meme with Wilson in a chef's apron – and a cut to the fire that enveloped Mile High Stadium in the off-season.

22. A montage: a little boy with a football, then a high school QB with the number "5", then a college QB with the number "10" – morphing into a Charger uniform number "10" (the progression of Justin Herbert as a QB, from a kid to his Sheldon HS days to his career at Oregon to now). Herbert goes all Super Saiyan (or something) as he throws the ball.

23. The schedule. The bye week is represented by a smiling emoji wearing sunglasses – this is SoCal, after all.

Dave

Staff member
Deshaun Watson is accused of sexual misconduct by 24 women over the course of several years. The NFL today took a hardline stance...and suspended him for a whole 6 games.

[Devil's advocate] He did sit out all of last year as well and then got dumped by The Texans [/DA]

Actual feelings are with everyone else, should be out for much longer.

That’s typically the NFLPA that files those appeals for reduction. This is actually the NFL with the appeal for a longer suspension. Watson is still gonna walk away with millions since his contract is a guaranteed $230 Million.
I read that the NFL wants a substantial financial penalty attached to his punishment as well, to offset the guaranteed cash. I think they may have realized how bad of a look this is for the NFL if Watson gets a slap on the wrist.

I read that the NFL wants a substantial financial penalty attached to his punishment as well, to offset the guaranteed cash. I think they may have realized how bad of a look this is for the NFL if Watson gets a slap on the wrist.
I think the same thing, that amount of money is really ridiculous for guaranteed money, especially since they knew what the situation was before they signed him.

This is DEFINITELY a guy who loves the smell of his own farts. Jesus, the ego...

(although the "cracker" thing make me laugh because I know it's supposed to be a racial slur, but I can never take it seriously.)

(although the "cracker" thing make me laugh because I know it's supposed to be a racial slur, but I can never take it seriously.)
some people apparently do take it seriously and I wonder how serious they are at that or if they pretend to be because they think they have to. I - very white individual me - called a thread of some Twitter friends "a bunch of honky crackers" because they were debating ketchup vs ranch. I got a week in Twitter jail :ban:

some people apparently do take it seriously and I wonder how serious they are at that or if they pretend to be because they think they have to. I - very white individual me - called a thread of some Twitter friends "a bunch of honky crackers" because they were debating ketchup vs ranch. I got a week in Twitter jail :ban:
I think the only "effective" form of slur towards white people has been the recent use of "Karen", "Chad", "Becky", etc. While none of those are nearly as bad as the n-word, it does feel like more of a slap than "honky" or "cracker".

Dave

Staff member
Holy fuck. The guy is accused of drugging and repeatedly gang raping a17 year old girl with at least 3 other people.

Yeah. We cut our other punter last week when the team apparently knew about this. While we don’t know the extent of what they knew, I’m inclined to think they either chose not to look too hard or knew and didnt care.

I had Dawson Knox as my TE. ☹

(In case you didn’t follow, he went 1-for-2 for 5 yards despite the rest of the Bills offense exploding all over the field)